Clearing the sinuses...

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
When you get over a cold or other ENT-type infection, what's the quickest way to dry up your sinuses to prevent an ear block while flying? Or do you just have to wait a month for it to clear up on its own?

I'm on my second trip through the cycle this season, and sick of not flying. :(

Afrin. You can buy it at any target or Wal-Mart type store. Works fast and for around 12 hours.

Afrin works well with most people. For a long time, USAF policy was that Afrin was there to get you down, not use it to 'clear up' to fly.

Something to do with how it mitigates the gunk in the sinus cavity. I don't remember the exact details, but I remember the rule. If you can clear on the ground with a valsalva or similar method, then you can go. If you need to get down afterwards then Afrin could get you down assuming your body responded to it.

*Disclaimer: I'm a flyer, not a flight doc; I've never used Afrin to get down.

Anything with psuedoefidrin(sp) in it opens me up
Calritin D is best but it jacks my sleep up pretty bad.

In the altitude chamber, we noticed some meds on the wall, and they told us they always kept a bottle of NeoSynephrine available.
It's a nasal decongestant spray which causes (mostly) local blood vessel constriction and this reduces the physical size of the mucous membrane in the nasal/sinus passages.

I also use Claritin D 12 hour to manage.

This will sound weird, but one of the most effective methods I've found is to daily inhale warm water up your nose several times, washing out your sinus'. Definitely speeds up the clearing of the sinus'.

I also use the really spicy food technique, it all helps.

Last I drink a lot of water, 100oz a day or so. All of the medicine above is dehydrating.

Any pharmacy will sell a saline sinus rinse by NeilMed. Mix a little packet of saline powder into a battle of warm water, rinse as directed, voila. Mo bettah. Try your best to skip the drugs. Nasal decongestants have rebound effects that'll keep you nursing the nasal spray bottle. And seriously, wasabi rocks. Liquify and blow. And heck, a pitcher of warm Sake ain't all bad, either.

I should clarify, it's my ears I'm worried about more than my nose - Does Afrin clear all that out too?

This will sound weird, but one of the most effective methods I've found is to daily inhale warm water up your nose several times, washing out your sinus'. Definitely speeds up the clearing of the sinus'.

Not weird at all. Google "Neti pot". It's much better when you use the little packets to make a saline solution, though. I do it all the time.

Unfortunately, that does nothing for the fluid that makes it into your ears which is what I really am worried about.

Any pharmacy will sell a saline sinus rinse by NeilMed. Mix a little packet of saline powder into a battle of warm water, rinse as directed, voila. Mo bettah.

Yup, that's the stuff.

Afrin works well with most people. For a long time, USAF policy was that Afrin was there to get you down, not use it to 'clear up' to fly.

Something to do with how it mitigates the gunk in the sinus cavity. I don't remember the exact details, but I remember the rule. If you can clear on the ground with a valsalva or similar method, then you can go. If you need to get down afterwards then Afrin could get you down assuming your body responded to it.

*Disclaimer: I'm a flyer, not a flight doc; I've never used Afrin to get down.

Aaron gets you down, but whiskey gets you funky.:D

Eat lots of wasabi at your favorite sushi spot. Repeat as necessary.

Since American "wasabi" is just green horseradish paste, you can also stop by Arby's and get some horsey sauce or get hot mustard at panda express next door.

You can have Arby's. I'll stick with the sushi plan. That's been a staple in my family's head cold management forever. If the green stuff isn't hot enough, the sushi man can fix it up to light your fire. Forget the sake, go with a big Sapporo. :yes:

Find a store that has horseradish root. Take it home and grind it in the blender. Be sure to have plenty of hankies on hand when you do.

Make a skydive. If still pain free you are good to fly. If not it'll probably hurt so bad you will question if the parachute working was a good thing. Btdt.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back