Clearing my ears

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
I've tried the Valsalva, I've tried yawning, I've tried chewing on everything from gum to mints to a sandwich. Nothing. My right ear is fine, by my left feels like its full of cotton. What else can I do? I really don't want to call out tomorrow, but if this keeps up I'll have to. I had a chest cold last week, but it hf cleared up over the weekend, so I thought I'd be ok. Guess not :dunno:

I've tried the Valsalva, I've tried yawning, I've tried chewing on everything from gum to mints to a sandwich. Nothing. My right ear is fine, by my left feels like its full of cotton. What else can I do? I really don't want to call out tomorrow, but if this keeps up I'll have to. I had a chest cold last week, but it hf cleared up over the weekend, so I thought I'd be ok. Guess not :dunno:

Do you have a cold? If not you might just have a big wax buildup in that ear but it could also be an infection.

If it's congestion (usually both ears are affected but not necessarily equally IME), a combination of decongestant and non-sedating antihistamine (e.g. Claritin-D) plus a decongestant spray might do the trick.

Zicam (nasty stuff)

Airborne

Lots of water

Neil Med Sinus Rinse (w/neti pot) twice a day until it's cleared up (works great for me)

numerous little red pills.. like about 2per hour if you get desperate. :nono:

Better yet, just call in sick.

I noticed they keep a nasal decongestant spray in the barochamber, they said it was for 'emergencies', while yours certainly isn't....it might relieve periodic discomfort.
I really don't think anything in your ear canal could be causing ear block, (although it would be a good idea to have a doc scope them)....I believe 'ear clearing' is a more internal problem....blockage of the auditory (eustachian) tube with mucus/infections/allergy/polyps/anatomic problems etc

Last edited:
Mr T,

It's also possible that your tube isn't blocked on that side but feels that way because you have some crud build up in the ear canal on the outside of the ear drum. I've had this and it can be quite annoying. Basic wax build up deep in the canal and even right up against the eardrum will give the feeling of plugged tube. You can try washing it out or go to and ENT and have them vacuum it out under the microscope.

If it's your tube you will have trouble with the pressure changes in flight which can be painful. Afrin decongestant spray can help (thats what they keep on hand in the chambers). If it's just crud on the outside of the drum in the canal pressure changes wont hurt.

Good luck. Having had this condition I know how unpleasant it can be. But, the solution is simple.

1) Neti pot it works ( Thanks Scott)

2) Eat really hot and spicy food. I'm very serious abouut this. it will really empty your sinuses and help the eustacian tube to drain.

Drink heavly. You can't go flying like that anyway! :rofl::rofl:

1) Neti pot it works ( Thanks Scott)

2) Eat really hot and spicy food. I'm very serious abouut this. it will really empty your sinuses and help the eustacian tube to drain.
Horseradish or even better wasabi! Hot Coleman's mustard can help too. Or Lamb Vindaldoo.

Afrin seems to work well for me. I've had one ear bloked while the other wasn't. A shot or two of Afrin on the blocked side, and Ta Da!, I feel ok again.

Afrin seems to work well for me. I've had one ear bloked while the other wasn't. A shot or two of Afrin on the blocked side, and Ta Da!, I feel ok again.

I use Afrin in an emergency only (i.e. have to fly somewhere), because Afrin causes a rebound reaction -- the sinus passages and Eustachian tubes will constrict to an even smaller size than when you originally treated them (my PCP just told me that today... YMMV)

Mucinex-D, Claratin-D, Neti pot, and some emergency Afrin all work. I like Mucinex-D the most, but it's expensive; Claratin-D is a great alternative (and doesn't have the expectorant in it).

Good luck Matt -- there is some wicked cold running around down here. I've been down for two days with it :(

Cheers,

-Andrew

I use Afrin in an emergency only (i.e. have to fly somewhere), because Afrin causes a rebound reaction -- the sinus passages and Eustachian tubes will constrict to an even smaller size than when you originally treated them (my PCP just told me that today... YMMV)

Mucinex-D, Claratin-D, Neti pot, and some emergency Afrin all work. I like Mucinex-D the most, but it's expensive; Claratin-D is a great alternative (and doesn't have the expectorant in it).

Good luck Matt -- there is some wicked cold running around down here. I've been down for two days with it :(

Cheers,

-Andrew
That's very true about Afrin, but it's generally only with continued use (more than a couple of days in a row). If you're using it once or twice a month, I don't think there'll be an issue with rebound.

Note, however, that most decongestants will result in an increase in blood pressure, which might be an issue if you suffer from hypertension.

Hope you're feeling better, Andrew. I had one of those colds last week. Miserable!

my trick is to use a qtip, get it drenched with hotter than warm water, insert into the very edge of the canal, and let the water drip in. then pull out the qtip and shake your head violently. works nearly every time

Neil Med Sinus Rinse (w/neti pot) twice a day until it's cleared up (works great for me)

Ditto on the Neti Pot. If your sinuses are really clogged up, it might take a few days even with this, but nothing will clean you out better! ;-)

Best of all, a saline rinse isn't going to ground you from flying... no meds!

Horseradish or even better wasabi! Hot Coleman's mustard can help too. Or Lamb Vindaldoo.

I'm out of horseradish. The stuff they sell in most stores as "Hot" horseradish is barely warm. I've tried a number of brands but can't find the stuff I've had in good restaurants, the stuff that tries to blow your face clean off your skull. Great stuff.

When I was a kid a got a bad ear infection associated with some virus. Both ears plugged up and I tried everything. Then I discovered that if I tensed certain muscles in my lower jaw, back toward the throat, and then dropped the jaw down and forward a bit, it pulled on those plugged-up tubes and popped them open. Been using that technique for more than 40 years now and only if I have a REALLY bad cold does it fail to clear them on the first yank. Real handy for flying, too.
But how does one teach it? I stumbled across it and have no idea how to get someone else to see how it works. All they can do is fool with it to see if they can figure it out.

Dan

I'm out of horseradish. The stuff they sell in most stores as "Hot" horseradish is barely warm. I've tried a number of brands but can't find the stuff I've had in good restaurants, the stuff that tries to blow your face clean off your skull. Great stuff.

When I was a kid a got a bad ear infection associated with some virus. Both ears plugged up and I tried everything. Then I discovered that if I tensed certain muscles in my lower jaw, back toward the throat, and then dropped the jaw down and forward a bit, it pulled on those plugged-up tubes and popped them open. Been using that technique for more than 40 years now and only if I have a REALLY bad cold does it fail to clear them on the first yank. Real handy for flying, too.
But how does one teach it? I stumbled across it and have no idea how to get someone else to see how it works. All they can do is fool with it to see if they can figure it out.

Dan

That's what I was hoping for, something that would just blow the pressure out...it feels like I just need to open the valve and I'll be fine.

Long story short, I'm out on a sick call after one leg today and I'm going to the doctor instead of working tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the great responses, I tried almost all of them - Sudafed PE, Afrin, and as much spicy **** as I can find - it kind of cleared up over night, but was back in full force today. I'll look into the NetiPot tomorrow, though I think I'll have to wait until the wife goes to work before I can use it.

I tried your recomendation, Matt M, and no joy either. It's deffinately reactive to pressure/altitude changes! I feel fine at about 2-3000 feet cabin altitude, but above that the pain gets acute and below that it's an almost constant dull pain and feels like I have a big ball of cotton stuffed way down in my inner ear.

We'll see what the docs have to say in the AM. :rolleyes:

Good on you. Prior to 9/11 I took care of a young woman in her first 121 job who was too afraid to call in.

Pus emerged at cabin pressure 5000 feet, she was deaf in that ear. Hurt like heck. Had 3 months off for the PE tubes, eardrum graft.....really really nasty.

That's what I was hoping for, something that would just blow the pressure out...it feels like I just need to open the valve and I'll be fine.

AFaIK there's only one valve to open. If one ear is clearing and the other isn't, it's not the valve it's beyond that.

AFaIK there's only one valve to open. If one ear is clearing and the other isn't, it's not the valve it's beyond that.

I was being sarcastic, I meant like a valve on a bicycle stem.:D Only one ear is the problem, right side is fine, nose is fine, chest is fine...:dunno:

Each inner ear has a separate tiny tube leading down to the throat, to separate orifices.. The Eustachian tubes. One or both can get blocked due to mucus or inflammation or some deformity. Holding your nose and blowing often doesn't work because the pressure in the throat not only tries to get into the tube, it also compresses the flesh around the tube and tries to close it.
If one can get that tube to open, however briefly (I think they're actually normally closed) the pressures will equalize and the plugged feeling disappears.
I'm do doctor but I've had enough trouble that I did some reading on it a long time ago.

Dan

Just got back from the doc....I'M PREGNANT!!!

no...wait...

I have an ear infection. Ya, that's the one; I knew there was a reason I couldn't drink tonight :).

Just got back from the doc....I'M PREGNANT!!!

no...wait...

I have an ear infection. Ya, that's the one; I knew there was a reason I couldn't drink tonight :).

Un-dx'ed one of those (didn't even have any symptoms) caused my R drum to go pop last year. That really screwed things up for a while. Now my R Eustachian tube clogs if I look at it funny (which it is right now... but the cold is getting better. Here's to a clear tube in time for my 1245 flight Monday!)

Cheers,

-Andrew

Un-dx'ed one of those (didn't even have any symptoms) caused my R drum to go pop last year. That really screwed things up for a while. Now my R Eustachian tube clogs if I look at it funny (which it is right now... but the cold is getting better. Here's to a clear tube in time for my 1245 flight Monday!)

Cheers,

-Andrew

Oy, good luck Andrew, hope you're feeling better in time! I, too, had no other symptoms. Had I not gone flying and felt the pressure, I'd have had no clue at all. Crazy, ain't it!

Each inner ear has a separate tiny tube leading down to the throat, to separate orifices.. The Eustachian tubes. One or both can get blocked due to mucus or inflammation or some deformity. Holding your nose and blowing often doesn't work because the pressure in the throat not only tries to get into the tube, it also compresses the flesh around the tube and tries to close it.
If one can get that tube to open, however briefly (I think they're actually normally closed) the pressures will equalize and the plugged feeling disappears.
I'm do doctor but I've had enough trouble that I did some reading on it a long time ago.

Dan

I agree with all that, but I still believe there's only one "valve" that opens or blocks the airflow into the tubes. Obviously there has to be one tube for each ear (excluding the folks with nothing but air between their ears) and inflammation can definitely block one or both tubes but in that case the Vasalva is far less likely to unblock things IME.

I agree with all that, but I still believe there's only one "valve" that opens or blocks the airflow into the tubes. Obviously there has to be one tube for each ear (excluding the folks with nothing but air between their ears) and inflammation can definitely block one or both tubes but in that case the Vasalva is far less likely to unblock things IME.

Don't think so. The tubes appear to vent into the throat with their orifices widely separated. none of the resources I consulted showed a common valve.
ear.jpg

19596.jpg

Heh, my wife and I were shopping at the Piggly Wiggly the other day and I grabbed two onions out of their produce section that possessed therapeutic effects!

Don't think so. The tubes appear to vent into the throat with their orifices widely separated. none of the resources I consulted showed a common valve.

Your pictures are pretty convincing, I guess I've been mistaken about the one vs two valves for a long time. I can consciously open mine at will (normally) but have never been able to open one at a time, must be the same muscle operates them both or I've just never learned how to contract one at at time. It's almost always been the case for me that if one would open the other would work as well but I suppose that's just because they are both likely to be affected by anything affecting one other than physical trauma.

Your pictures are pretty convincing, I guess I've been mistaken about the one vs two valves for a long time. I can consciously open mine at will (normally) but have never been able to open one at a time, must be the same muscle operates them both or I've just never learned how to contract one at at time. It's almost always been the case for me that if one would open the other would work as well but I suppose that's just because they are both likely to be affected by anything affecting one other than physical trauma.

I can open mine individually, by doing the same maneuver (pulling that muscle that feels like your jaw is sliding forward) while rocking the rear of my jaw to the side in which I want to crack.

My sinus issue turned into a nasty ear infection which just caused my right ear to completely block up (also, it appears, the drops the PCP gave me may have made things worse, not better). So no airplane time for me, for at least the next 7 days.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back