Cleaning Supplies

GrahamC

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Graham
I'm working for a small company and we have one plane, catering to higher net-worth students. We have a brand new airplane, with a matte black spinner. I like to wipe the airplane down after ever flight, but with my limited experience in taking care of brand new airplanes, I've been a little sheepish when it comes to applying cleaning spray to the spinner.

Is there a safe cleaning solution I can use to clean bugs off the spinner/prop without damaging or affecting paint of the spinner?

dihydrogen oxide and a clean terry cloth towel.

Where in Dallas is this? And what Aircraft?

I just use a spray bottle filled with water and about 20 drops of dishwashing soap. Good for bug splats on the prop, spinner, cowling and wing leading edges.

If I want the paint to look purdy, I wipe it down afterward with Meguiar's Quik Detailer. Don't know how this would work with the matte black, though.

Chrome on the spinner, if it has that, is suceptable to chemicals

I'm working for a small company and we have one plane, catering to higher net-worth students. We have a brand new airplane, with a matte black spinner. I like to wipe the airplane down after ever flight, but with my limited experience in taking care of brand new airplanes, I've been a little sheepish when it comes to applying cleaning spray to the spinner.

Is there a safe cleaning solution I can use to clean bugs off the spinner/prop without damaging or affecting paint of the spinner?

Wing Wipe will do a good job on that kind of application. See the link in my sig below.

Someone mentioned dish soap, we use that for stripping waxes to prepare for a coat of sealant. It is indeed cheap and effective. Just be aware that it strips waxes and sealants. For your specific question, that might not be a factor.

Spinners, and the front of the cowl, tend to be hot after flight. If you can wait 30 minutes, spray, let it soak (maybe even by leaving a damp microfiber on the spinner) and then wipe, you will make your life a lot easier.

I use this stuff with a microfiber cloth, works great and the bugs come off easier each time, easy peasy and doesn't hurt anything, just shake it first :)
also just $5 a bottle
lucas_slick_mist_speed_wax.jpg

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/luc...edium=adword&gclid=CNr7hruPmNICFYe3wAod1L0MPw

Last edited:
Water works well. One of our boardies here runs PlanePerfect who makes a pretty good touch up stuff (Wing Wash or something like that). I like their glass cleaner (EyesOutside or some thing like that) better than most I've tried.

What about using a high end car cleaning material like optimum brand of products? They are little expensive than your classic maguire but doesn't harm the paint, wax or sealant. And it puts a layer or protective cover on the surface, talking in micron level and it's easier to clean next time you want to wipe it off

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the insight, i'll try a few of these out and let you know how it works.

I've always used a can of lemon Pledge. Works for the windscreen and I'd imagine it would take care of any bug splatter on the spinner as well.

I use this stuff with a microfiber cloth, works great and the bugs come off easier each time, easy peasy and doesn't hurt anything, just shake it first :)
also just $5 a bottle
lucas_slick_mist_speed_wax.jpg

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/luc...edium=adword&gclid=CNr7hruPmNICFYe3wAod1L0MPw

I second the Lucas stuff. I soak a large beach towel in water and rest on the leading edge of the wings for a couple minutes. Bugs fall right off and finish with a mist of Lucas and wipe clean. Plus it smells like oatmeal cookies! Our Comanche looks AND smells great.

Aero Cosmetics: Wash & Wax All.
We use it on older airplanes and new Gulfstreams. It is a fine product.

I have the same matte black paint on my Cirrus nose cone and I just use WashWax All - same product I use on the rest of the plane. Just go easy on the nose cone because the matte paint has more friction than glossy but it doesn't need to be treated all that much differently.

The full shabang,

Use this for the big twice a year (depending on use) wax job, bout $13 a bottle

IMG_3358.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...79tihpvkgk_e&gclid=CLy3jaTWnNICFQIRaQod5FoAsg

The Lucas mist I posted for quick one overs, buggs and between major wax jobs
7590022_lco_10160_pri_larg.jpg

Most any autozone

Lemon pledge for the glass, couple bucks a can, it's kinda the gold standard in aviation, been used forever, doesn't hurt anything and also leaves a thin film which helps with getting the next round of bugs off.
46500723728.jpg

NON PUMICE GoJo, couple bucks a jar, for the gunk on the belly, just slob it on, let it work, and wipe it off, again totally safe on the plane and also won't hurt the environment.

81bOZwN-7eL._SX355_.jpg

https://www.zoro.com/gojo-hand-clea.../i/G0098169/?gclid=CJXG6ZvXnNICFQ0caQodJNwCUw

Or any auto place or Walmart

Interior
For plastics I use the Lucas interior spray, same price and places sell it as the other Lucas outside wax spray, 6bucks a bottle
interior-detailer_bottle.jpg

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/luc...edium=adword&gclid=CK2_87rYnNICFYS3wAodx6kPuQ

For the seats
Connely Hyde Food
75-309710-1.jpg

http://www.ecklersfirebird.com/conn...r-11599.html?gclid=CLTJs97YnNICFQSNaQodRLAGDA

Also be sure to get a good grease gun and some spray lube and hit up the hinges and all too after a good cleaning.

Also LOTS of microfiber a and a couple shamy rags.

You'll find the above tends to work BETTER and cost LESS than "aviation" stuff.

Last edited:
27K get's the collinte 845 after the annual cleaning. In between I just use water most of the time. The advantage I have is that I have hot water in the hangar (and on the garden hose) which makes a world of difference. I used the spray cleaners when I'm away from home at a show.

Back