Cleaning Aircraft Covers

OtisAir

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
OtisAir
Howdy -

I have a fuselage cover and tail cover for my Viking Witch, N8388W. I'd like to get them cleaned but have heard more than a couple of times, that using the wrong cleaning solution can do bad things to the material.

Anyone know what is a good method of cleaning such things? I've contemplated taking it to a bay car wash and just laying in on the ground and power washing it. Will this work?

Here's A Photo of the main cover.

015840.jpg

That was clean, and now it's not! Help!

Thanks!

I take mine to the laundromat and use the jumbo washer.

Shane the problem with power washers and fabrics is that they can actually make micro cuts and tears in the Fabric threads. Plus you can drive some of the dirt further into the porous fabric. I'd call the manufacturer and see what they say.

I talked to Bruce's Covers. They recommended against using a washing machine. They said take a brush and some Woolite, then rinse with a hose and dry on a line.

I'm tempted to use the washing machine next time and just buy a new cover when it wears out.

Joe

I talked to Bruce's Covers. They recommended against using a washing machine. They said take a brush and some Woolite, then rinse with a hose and dry on a line.

I'm tempted to use the washing machine next time and just buy a new cover when it wears out.

Joe

My Kennon cover is over ten years old and holding up fine after I've washed it maybe 4 times and it wasn't new when I got with it the plane. The seams are getting a little frayed but the fabric is still without holes and the straps are whole.

For my car cover - simple green detergent is recommended. I've used it on airplane covers with good results. A commercial washer (without agitator) is the way to go, and air dry it.

Thanks for the great info. After this series of storms move through, I'll be washing both the cover and the Viking Witch!

I think 7 of my last 10 landings have been on turf :thumbsup: (excluding those landings returning to Wings of course) and now the witch has a some dirt behind her ears.

We did fly to Williamsport yesterday and came back through light to moderate precipitation but I couldn't get Beth to stick her arm out the window to scrub the Witch's wings.

Thanks again for the info

Wash the cover?

Hmmm, never thought of doing that. I just leave it on the plane outside a few times during the year and then the rain seems to magically clean it.

My cover is canvas with pads underneath. I would think using a washing machine would not be good for it.

Back