CLE: United downgrade from hub to focus city, new Frontier FC, new Delta + AA flights

CLEadvocate

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CLEadvocate
Hello,

I lead a radio show that is recorded in Dallas, but broadcast globally. It is a talk show with a diverse panel, that focuses on issues affecting community, entrepreneurship, and artistry.

This week's episode focuses on the big changes that the airline industry is going through. I spoke one-on-one with Jackie Mayo, the communications manager for Cleveland Hopkins International. We chatted about all the issues going on with United. The feasibility of a hub in between O'Hare, Dulles, and Newark; the pilot shortage with regional airlines; how United has kept nearly all of its mainline flights, save for Phoenix (which happens to be when US Airways goes from being their codeshare partner to their primary competitor); the fate of Concourse D, which United is vacating but paying nearly $1 million per month for, through 2027; American shedding CLE as one of its LGA nonstops, due to the Justice Dept issues; the odds of CLE getting transatlantic service again; whether a "hub" in a post-merger world holds a mid-sized city hostage with low competition and high fares; embracing regionalism with Akron/Canton Airport; the utility of the controversial Burke Lakefront Airport; and, much more. I really did try to cover all the issues and opportunities that have sprung up in Cleveland.

CLE really is, in my opinion, the best case study of the impact of having a "hub" in a midsized city in a POST-MERGER ENVIRONMENT. It is interesting how CLE has maintained all of their United mainline flights, save a flight to Phoenix - which, as Jackie and I discussed, is a US Airways destination that happened to get cut when they went from being United's Star Alliance codeshare partner to their competitor. AA has replaced United's mainline service, so there really have been only MAINLINE ADDS at Hopkins this year. It's amazing how the other airlines added flights within WEEKS of United's announcement. Of course, there are still many cities whose direct service will probably never be restored; but, the utility of those destinations (i.e. CMH, PIT) for Clevelanders were doubtful.

If you are interested in tuning in to the show and hearing about all these revelations in CLE, I welcome you to do so. The show airs at 9:30 AM Eastern / 8:30 Central / 6:30 Pacific (NO time zone delay - just do the math for your time zone from EST, for example this would be at 3:30 PM British time) at the following link, which can be streamed on a computer, smart phone, or tablet: http://www.live365.com/stations/deepellumradio.

Thank you! I hope you find this to be an objective, fresh perspective on the CLE situation; and how midsized airports in general can eke out a nitch in the post-merger environment of today. If you enjoyed the program, please Like our Facebook page (facebook.com/thesaintsrearview); we also welcome feedback, both good and constructively bad, on our page.

Back