Classic Prop blade question

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Any idea on what type of aircraft this classic prop blade could have been used on?

Anyone know anything about the blade, ERCO, etc?

It belongs to a friend of mine and was given to him as a gift a few years back, but he has no idea what the history is of the thing.

Attachments

• ERCO lable.jpg
    ERCO lable.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Prop.jpg
    Prop.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 82
What type of aircraft?
My guess would be an airplane. :D

Any idea on what type of aircraft this classic prop blade could have been used on?

It belongs to a friend of mine and was given to him as a gift a few years back, but he has no idea what the history is of the thing.

ERCOupe.

That's a old beech Roybe (sp) blade. It's made from laminated Phenolic sheet.

The blade they used on the early Bonanzas was similar, but was a completely composite blade. Hartzell called it "Hartzite" and, although it looked like wood, it didn't have any wood in it at all. The blade was made of cotton cloth impregnated with phonolic resin. Here's some more info:

http://notplanejane.com/hartz.htm

I have an antique Anderson Greenwood plane with the Hartzel Hartzite prop. I need to retip the prop to keep flying. Anyone know a prop shop that can do it?

Unfortunately, no one can legally work on a Hartzite blade. They were designed to be throwaways, and as near as I have ever been able to determine, Hartzell never published any repair criteria for them.

Not trying to repair the blade, it is fine, only retip it.

Back