Class envy against pilots?

Anthony

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
I just read the blurb about AOPA's response to the "USA Today" editorial about reopening Washington National airport to GA. Here's a clip from the AOPA website article:

The editorial suggested that opening the airport to GA traffic puts the D.C. area at substantially higher risk of attack from terrorists. Still harping on the May 11 Cessna 150 incident and using highly inflammatory language, the editorial suggested that they might feel more sympathetic, "if the lackadaisical security for private planes had been ratcheted way up after 9/11.

"Instead, the government has ducked security for the nation's 220,000 private planes and their well-connected owners. Nearly four years after terror attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, pilots' licenses contain no photographs, making it relatively easy for a terrorist to use someone else's license."

"USA Today has a long history of anti-GA sentiment," said AOPA's Executive Vice President of Communications, Jeff Myers. "It is inexplicable that 'The Nation's Newspaper' — as they call themselves — would portray general aviation, a critical part of the nation's transportation infrastructure, so inaccurately. It's one thing to have a bad opinion. It's another thing to report bad facts."

Now what jumps out at me is the "private planes and their well-connected owners" statement. Why do mainstream media outlets and pressure groups like "Stop the Noise" continuously use this tactic and try to paint us all as spoiled, rich people who can work th system to our benefit? Is it just envy that we can do something they can't or an attempt to create more interest in the story from the general populace?

Anthony said:
Is it just envy that we can do something they can't or an attempt to create more interest in the story from the general populace?
I think it's pure ignorance, personally. Most people I've taken up have been surprised about the whole process. It's not luxury seating, there is no red carpet, the plane may be older than the pilot, it's loud, slow and can be uncomfortable in bumpy air. It's not a custom jet with leather seats and a/c.

After our flights, almost every one of the new passengers has responded to the question "Is it like you thought it was?" with a resounding "No, not even close. It's not like they show you on TV." Uh-huh. Thought so.

GA is strong here in AZ but if I ever read an article that smacks of ignorance, I'm offering a ride to the reporter to try to set the record straight.

It's shame they've got it all wrong Anthony -- you'd look good in a new biz jet, and I know I'd look great in a brand new turbine helicopter...

You point, however, is well taken.

WRITE A LETTER TO THE EDITOR

It isn't "well connected" pilots. It well informed middle-class pilots making their voices heard..

If you ever catch a reporter telling the truth they will lie there way out of it.

Anthony said:
Why do mainstream media outlets and pressure groups like "Stop the Noise" continuously use this tactic and try to paint us all as spoiled, rich people who can work th system to our benefit? Is it just envy that we can do something they can't or an attempt to create more interest in the story from the general populace?

It's cause most people believe it.

Back