Class E airspace

cherokeeflyboy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokeeflyboy
Class E air space above class A is that airspace above FL 600
what is its upper limit??
I was/am stumped by a Boy Scout whom I am assisting obtaining his aviation merit badge.

I would assume its limit is the Moon's Class A airspace.

:rofl:

wow how entertaining...

whatcha planning on flying way up there skipp? can I ride?

wow how entertaining...

whatcha planning on flying way up there skipp? can I ride?

Not planning on flight in the flight levels.
I was/am on a mission to find the answer to a VERY bright and inquisitive
15 yr old Boy Scout. He is the type that wants to see it in black and white and
with references!!! He even asked to see my credentials (first meeting)to verify that I am qualified to "sign off" for his aviation merit badge!!

well good, glad there are still kids out there like that. and glad you got an answer he is satisfied with.

My understanding is that levels about FL 600 are actually referred to as "outer space" instead of "airspace".

I believe that the requirement to be considered an astronaut (travel outside the atmosphere) is upwards of 100,000ft. I certainly wouldn't refer to an SR71 as a spaceship.

My understanding is that levels about FL 600 are actually referred to as "outer space" instead of "airspace".

As we learned from SpaceShipOne N300KF, space is defined as beginning at 300,000 feet or 100km... FL300?

I believe 328,000' is the recognized edge of space. (Space Ship One's N number was N328KF)

Edit: Yep: Edge of Space, or Kármán line

Edit: Mike beat me too it but got the height wrong - so I'll leave this. ;)

Attachments

• Spaceshipone.jpg
    Spaceshipone.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
i bet there is some pretty huge TAS benefits up there.

For those late to the party, the correct answer is "unlimited" and the reference is:

14CFR 71.71 Class E Airspace:
(a) The airspace of the United States, including that airspace overlying the waters within 12 nautical miles of the coast of the 48 contiguous states and Alaska, extending upward from 14,500 feet MSL up to, but not including 18,000 feet MSL, and the airspace above FL600, excluding—

(1) The Alaska peninsula west of longitude 160°00'00"W.; and

(2) The airspace below 1,500 feet above the surface of the earth.

IOW, the SR-71's and U/TR-2's operate VFR, not that there's much other traffic up there with which they must contend.

For those late to the party, the correct answer is "unlimited" and the reference is:

(a) The airspace of the United States, including that airspace overlying the waters within 12 nautical miles of the coast of the 48 contiguous states and Alaska, extending upward from 14,500 feet MSL up to, but not including 18,000 feet MSL, and the airspace above FL600, excluding—

Man, this post looks familiar...who else posted the same thing a few posts back...
:shrugs:

IOW, the SR-71's and U/TR-2's operate VFR, not that there's much other traffic up there with which they must contend.

That is the airspace over the United States. So you fly out 12+ miles offshore in Class E to where the airspace definitions end, then you climb up to FL600+, and you can turn back and fly over the US in Class E, and you do not need to pass through Class A airspace to do it. On the other coast you come down 12+ miles out and return to land. All flight over the US would be in Class E. So all you need is a PPL, no IR. You do need a DVFR flight plan to leave/enter US airspace. Makes some sense since no commercial aircraft operate that high. All you need is a plane with an O2 system, that will get up that high and fly fast enough long enough to get it done. Simple problem, right? Buy a surplus U-2 or SR-71. ;)

Last edited:
As we learned from SpaceShipOne N300KF, space is defined as beginning at 300,000 feet or 100km... FL300?
I was just at FL400 on Wednesday, nowhere near being in outer space...you must be thinking of FL3000 ;)

Fly safe!

David

I've always wondered under what regs does, for instance, the space shuttle fly. Do they get an IFR clearance? Do they have a transponder?
-harry

I've always wondered under what regs does, for instance, the space shuttle fly. Do they get an IFR clearance? Do they have a transponder?

Negative on the transponder, at least the regular Mode C type we're used to. At least I didn't see one, and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed... That would have meant that I'd know how to use two pieces of it instead of one (the audio panel :yes:). I'd also bet that a mode C reporting a 50,000fpm rate of climb would really mess with ATC's computers!

im pretty sure it goes something like this:

NASA: "yea so we are going to be launching this shuttle thing on this day and coming back for a landing in florida on this day, so you're going to need to clear out that airspace or we are not going to be happy"

FAA: "ok"

Back