Class 3 w/ misdiagnosed Dysthymia, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Insomnia, and ADHD?

floopiedoopie

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
floop
I was institutionalized after a suicide attempt related to long-term bullying. They had diagnosed me with Dysthymia, GAD, Insomnia, and a long time ago ADHD.

I was at one point on a few medications. Wellbutrin, Prozac, Ativan, Strattera, Trazodone, and Vistaril. I've been off of them for a while. I have no trouble sleeping, I am not depressed, I don't have issues with anxiety, and I was told that I show no signs or symptoms of ADHD.

How long of a process will it become to get my class 3 medical? I was told that this might become a multi-thousand dollar issue (even with medical insurance) and take years.

I really hope that isn't the case as flying is my only passion.

Last edited:
Re: Class 3 w/ misdiagnosed Dysthymia, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Insomnia, and AD

The experts will weigh in, but you might want to say whether you currently have a medical, or a PPL, or exactly what your situation is.

If you're a new pilot, then depending how the AOPA petition goes, third class medicals could go the way of the dodo. In that case you might be home free, depending on how the self-certification process is worked out.

Glad you hear you're feeling better these days; good luck.

Re: Class 3 w/ misdiagnosed Dysthymia, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Insomnia, and AD

The deal is - you will have to prove that you DON'T have any of the things you have been diagnosed with.

That takes $$$ and time, and you really can't have any of what you've already been diagnosed with.

I was told that this might become a multi-thousand dollar issue (even with medical insurance) and take years.
Bruce will be along after he gets off work tonight, but with that history, I think you were told correctly, and it's more than "might become" -- almost certainly "will become."

Bruce will be along after he gets off work tonight, but with that history, I think you were told correctly, and it's more than "might become" -- almost certainly "will become."
RBL, we're corresponding by email.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back