Class 3 vs class 2

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
I'm 42. Healthy. Have a class 3 that is expiring at end of month. I called for my medical exam and the nurse asked if it was a class 1 - 2- or 3. I said well I have a three but I guess maybe I’ll go for the class 2.
I have ppl with instrument rating and had thoughts of going for commercial in year perhaps because, why not. I like to take lessons and learn more.
Is there any disadvantage to going for a 2? What about exam is more stringent??

717C1826-782A-43F6-85E8-45C0232498C3.png

You do not need a Class II to get a commercial certificate and the Class II privileges are only good for 12 months. The eye sight standard is the biggest difference. As a general rule, you you never apply for a Class higher than you need.

And no disadvantage to obtain a higher class than you need at the moment. If you don't renew the class 2 in 12 months, it auto downgrades to the class three privileges for the remaining 12 months of the "over 40" time frame.

But to maintain the class 2 privileges, renewing every 12 months is the requirement.

I’ll just go for the class 3 then. Thanks. I’m not sure if I’ll meet the vision requirements for class 2 anyway. My left eye is a bit wonky!

Due to my job, I've been getting first class physicals up until a couple of years ago. Now that I don't fly for a living, I see the same AME and get a second class every year.

If I had any suspicion that I could not pass a class two, I would probably give up flying until I got healthy again.

That should work until I get super old and start falling apart. :cool::cool:

U can get a 2nd class and after a year if not renewed becomes like a third class that u can fly under for another year per your stated age of 42..check with your AME to be sure.

Other than some bragging rights, no use getting one unless u really need it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back