Class 3 SI (OSA) letter delay times

Beaker’s Flyin

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Beaker’s Flyin
Hi all,

I was issued in office back in July for a class 3 initial with a history of OSA. Had a consult, got what was required before the actual exam and the AME issued in the office, scanned all my docs and submitted it all to the FAA. I walked out of the office with what appears to be a regular class 3 without limitations.

Understanding the AME issued in the office and the condition requires an SI I have been expecting a letter from the FAA however I haven’t received anything yet.

Anyone have class 3 SI issued for OSA take so long to get your letter?

Just trying to make sure I stay compliant and don’t miss any deadlines along with planning for my renewal. I assume my renewal will be yearly vs every 24 months as it’s an SI and not a “normal” class 3.

Am I missing anything?

If I recall, it did take a while, but you re at 6 months. I would start calling the FAA medical office. Also, as a member of AOPA, I did call them and I think they gave me a different number to call. more like a direct line. YMMV.

Your medical should say “not valid after <1 year from your exam>” since an SI for OSA is a yearly renewal. In a year you’ll get another one that says the same thing but with a new one year expiration. You only need to do physical exam on your normal schedule.

I think 6 months is about the longest I waited. I renew in Oct/Nov and the years that I do get anything back, it seems to be sometime in the Spring.

Thanks for the replies. Gave Oklahoma a call and they were pretty much useless. They could see I had a class 3, basically said wait more time. If I don’t get a letter, do I continue to treat it as a standard 2 yr issue (over 40) or do I schedule another class 3 physical and provide the AME the updated docs?

Thanks for the replies. Gave Oklahoma a call and they were pretty much useless. They could see I had a class 3, basically said wait more time. If I don’t get a letter, do I continue to treat it as a standard 2 yr issue (over 40) or do I schedule another class 3 physical and provide the AME the updated docs?

You’ll, hopefully, get that letter. It will tell you how to renew.

What does your medical say, “Not valid after <???>”? Is it one year from your exam or two?

You’ll, hopefully, get that letter. It will tell you how to renew.

What does your medical say, “Not valid after <???>”? Is it one year from your exam or two?
It doesn’t say. So I’d assume (hate that word) 2 years. The only date present is the issue date.

It doesn’t say. So I’d assume (hate that word) 2 years. The only date present is the issue date.
I'm pretty much at my limit here. There's nothing in the limitations that says "Not valid for any class after <+1 year>". Whenever FAA medical finally gets around to your paperwork, you'll get a new medical with a date in that limitations section and several pages of documentation telling you how to renew.

Maybe they haven't even opened your file yet?

Just keep calling a couple times a week, I guess.

At one year you need the sleep apnea re-up sheet printed, wet signed and sent in.
If you are a third classs, the AME can isuse you in the interim (remotely)
If you are upper-class, get a new in person exam and the AME can issue you with the sheet. See att'd.

Attachments

• OSARecertStatusSummary09.29.21.pdf
    157.5 KB · Views: 32
Back