CirrusSR-22 versus Columbia[Cessna] 400

Meliss

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
goodjoojoo
I think the 400 is faster? What are the pro's and con's of each against each other? I've heard pilots of both talk about how theirs is better. I'm just not fully aware of all the differences between the two, I always thought they were quite similar. Thoughts?

Well, the Cessna 400 is definitely better looking but IIRC they had an issue with the wings delaminating in flight which is no bueno.

However the 400 doesnt turn you into pilot flambe as soon as one of the wings breaks. Plus it's a Cessna - you know they aren't going anywhere.

Don't trust anything the needs a parachute for certification purposes.

More 400s with broken of tails than Cirrus, 400 more of a hot rod. If you can handle the 400 it would be my choice, but I can't say that it's for everyone.

I think the 400 is faster?
Like 5 knots is all if you compare the turbocharged models at the same fuel flow, although you can turn disproportionately more fuel into speed in the 400 if you want. Compare the turbocharged 400 to the nonturbo SR22 and you see a much bigger difference, but that's apples to oranges.

What are the pro's and con's of each against each other?
See this comparison which is pretty factual even if it was prepared by Cirrus:
http://www.whycirrus.com/compare/pdf/cirrus-vs-cessna-400.pdf

I've heard pilots of both talk about how theirs is better.
No doubt, else they would have bought the other.

I'm just not fully aware of all the differences between the two, I always thought they were quite similar. Thoughts?
They are. It's pretty much a matter of subjective considerations, although the Cessna costs more when comparably equipped. If you're considering an airplane in this class, fly both and then choose for yourself.

Last edited:
Although not a huge fan of either esp. considering their price range loaded I would probably go with the SR22 because of the BRS and even if limited, ice protection

I think the biggest difference is the cost of repacking the parachute. Then again, if you can consider purchasing one of these new, that cost may be quite negligible.

I think the biggest difference is the cost of repacking the parachute. Then again, if you can consider purchasing one of these new, that cost may be quite negligible.

IT's only about 12k every 10 yrs. It would still be worth it to me. I just don't trust my family in a cirrus.

I have never flown a Cirrus, but I do not like the fact that the 400 has no way to adjust the seat vertically. I'm tall and on the bumpy trip I took in one I got hammered.

Although not a huge fan of either esp. considering their price range loaded I would probably go with the SR22 because of the BRS and even if limited, ice protection
SR22 has optional FIKI certification. C400 does not.

All in all, it's probably comparable to deciding between Lexus and Infiniti or Lincoln vs Cadillac. Try both, buy the one you like better.

Sounds like a no-win. I'm 6-3 with silverback torso to leg-length ratio and found the SR-22 seating to be uncomfortable, and unwieldy geometry re. seat position to door position. Haven't flown a 400.

I have never flown a Cirrus, but I do not like the fact that the 400 has no way to adjust the seat vertically. I'm tall and on the bumpy trip I took in one I got hammered.

SR22 has optional FIKI certification. C400 does not.

All in all, it's probably comparable to deciding between Lexus and Infiniti or Lincoln vs Cadillac. Try both, buy the one you like better.

That was my point, the corvalis does not have those options which are nice. The FIKI would be nice to have for getting through layers, not so much to stay in them.

Last edited:
Sounds like a no-win. I'm 6-3 with silverback torso to leg-length ratio and found the SR-22 seating to be uncomfortable, and unwieldy geometry re. seat position to door position. Haven't flown a 400.

In am 6-4 and thought the cirrus was very comfortable.(so prob not really the size as much as personal comfort) The seats in the front of the corvalis are about the same as the cirrus but there is less room in the back in the corvalis.

Well, the Cessna 400 is definitely better looking but IIRC they had an issue with the wings delaminating in flight which is no bueno.

However the 400 doesnt turn you into pilot flambe as soon as one of the wings breaks. Plus it's a Cessna - you know they aren't going anywhere.

Don't trust anything the needs a parachute for certification purposes.

Didn't Cessna recently move their factory out of Witchita, KS? Foreign made now, IIRC.

In am 6-4 and thought the cirrus was very comfortable.(so prob not really the size as much as personal comfort) The seats in the front of the corvalis are about the same as the cirrus but there is less room in the back in the corvalis.
I think it will depend a lot on whether your height is in your legs or your body, i.e., sitting height versus leg length. Big folks will probably need to sit in it to find out for sure.

Didn't Cessna recently move their factory out of Witchita, KS? Foreign made now, IIRC.
The Cessna 162 Skycatcher LSA is fabricated in China with final assembly in the US. That's it. Everything else for small aircraft (including the Mustang jet) is done in Independence KS.

Seat preference probably plays a big part as well. Some guys like to put those hard-butt squinch-back Rocaro (sp?) racing seats in their daily drivers. Once in them, I can't wait to get out.

I think it will depend a lot on whether your height is in your legs or your body, i.e., sitting height versus leg length. Big folks will probably need to sit in it to find out for sure.

Cirrus are great airplanes. They fly fast, have a decent payload for a 2-3 person plus luggage and 300-400 range with reserves trip. The only things I dont really like about the plane is its sloppy slow flight characteristics (but its not meant to be flown slow) and the flat landing attitude. Other than that, its a very cappable ifr platform. And for chute bashers, its an extra option when **** hits the fan, but you should never set yourself in a position were you need to deploy it. i dont know anything about the 400 except that they haven't sold as well as the cirrus brand. Ah and Cirrus planes dont cause accidents people that fly them do.

The SR-22 is a fantastic flying airplane. I have a bit of time in the SR-22 GTS. I have done one demo flight in the 400 and found it "unfinished" in a way. This was not a pre-production model or anything like that, it was a floor model but had added on trim tabs that were unpainted and looked out of place. I found the SR-22 much more comfortable but I hate the damn seat belts, too cumbersome but I get why.

The Cessna 162 Skycatcher LSA is fabricated in China with final assembly in the US. That's it. Everything else for small aircraft (including the Mustang jet) is done in Independence KS.
Actually, large parts, or even whole of Corvalis were made in Mexico when the shoddy quality was discovered about a year ago. At the time, Cessna contemplated bringing the production back to U.S., but I don't know if they actually had. These things are not done so easily.

Edit:
The FAA has proposed a $2,425,000 civil penalty against Cessna Aircraft Co. resulting from the separation in flight last December of carbon composite parts of a high-performance Cessna Corvalis’ wing.

The agency said Wichita, Kan.-based Cessna “failed to follow its FAA-approved quality control system when it manufactured the wings on the damaged airplane, as well as 82 additional parts,” in a Chihuahua, Mexico, factory.
http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2011/110922faa-proposes-fine-for-cessna-corvalis-defects.html

If I had the money, I would be inclined to give Cirrus an advantage, for one superficial, but important reason: I read their blog http://cirrusengineering.blogspot.com/ . In our age, every word on that blog is going to be used in a lawsuit by an unscurpulous ambulance-chaser, but they do it anyway, and it's a valuable service to the community of their customers.

Last edited:
Prior to their break-up and ultimate sale to China, I attended a safety seminar at which the Klapmeier brothers discussed the chute issues. Their agony centered around the dead pilots and pax who could/would/should have survived if they had simply pulled the handle.

Cirrus are great airplanes. They fly fast, have a decent payload for a 2-3 person plus luggage and 300-400 range with reserves trip. The only things I dont really like about the plane is its sloppy slow flight characteristics (but its not meant to be flown slow) and the flat landing attitude. Other than that, its a very cappable ifr platform. And for chute bashers, its an extra option when **** hits the fan, but you should never set yourself in a position were you need to deploy it. i dont know anything about the 400 except that they haven't sold as well as the cirrus brand. Ah and Cirrus planes dont cause accidents people that fly them do.

Cirrus used a neat trick where the seat tracks are angled so the seat goes down as you slide it back. Probably works for 99% of pilots.

I think I had the ability to adjust the rudder pedals forward and back as well.

I have sat on wooden bleachers that were softer than Cirri seats. They acknowledged the issue and said it's because of the 26-G crash-worthiness requirements.
Cirrus used a neat trick where the seat tracks are angled so the seat goes down as you slide it back. Probably works for 99% of pilots.

I have sat on wooden bleachers that were softer than Cirri seats. They acknowledged the issue and said it's because of the 26-G crash-worthiness requirements.

No seat confort issues when I flew a brand new G3. I did find the forearm rest a little awkward for me, but it was a demo flight and I didn't play with the adjustments much except slide the seat forward for rudder pedal usage.

Hard crush foam in the seats for energy absorption in a BRS landing as well.

Cirrus are great airplanes.
I agree.
The only things I dont really like about the plane is its sloppy slow flight characteristics
I've found control in all three axes to be just fine down through and into the stall.

and the flat landing attitude.
only if you land it too fast. I can make consistent mains-first landings even in an SR22T with air conditioning.
Ah and Cirrus planes dont cause accidents people that fly them do.
After reviewing all the SR2x accidents, I'd have to agree. Had those folks done the same things in a Cessna 350/400 or a Bonanza or anything else in that class, it would probably have ended just as badly.

It didn't need a chute to be certified.
Correct. They were well and successfully into the spin test program when the FAA gave them the exemption, and they stopped only to save money. The BRS was an original part of the program because of Alan Klapmeier's crash experiences, not because they couldn't get the plane certified without it.

Correct. They were well and successfully into the spin test program when the FAA gave them the exemption, and they stopped only to save money. The BRS was an original part of the program because of Alan Klapmeier's crash experiences, not because they couldn't get the plane certified without it.
Well, we'll never know if they would have successfully completed the spin series or not.

Well, we'll never know if they would have successfully completed the spin series or not.

The aircraft is spin certified in Europe.

Not accusing you of being one, but people who just automatically attack Cirrus because of some preconceived notion really bugs me. They are fine aircraft, they just aren't as forgiving as a 172, but neither is a Bonanza.

The aircraft is spin certified in Europe.

Not accusing you of being one, but people who just automatically attack Cirrus because of some preconceived notion really bugs me. They are fine aircraft, they just aren't as forgiving as a 172, but neither is a Bonanza.
I attacked Cirrus? Don't think so.

Usually I save my attacks for Cessnas.

No, that's true. Get Alan to tell you the story about the crash he was in and you'll have goosebumps.
Exactly -- he insisted on the BRS because of that experience, not to make certification easier. Or did you miss the "not" in my post? Or did you mean, "Yes, that's true"?

Looks like they blamed everything on the CFI. The Piper pilot had equal responsibility to see and avoid.

If my post is part of this discussion, I was referring to the chute certification rather than the airplane certification.

But we do know that certification is not why they have the BRS.

Some reviewer of both these airplanes mentioned that in his opinion the side-stick in Columbia 400 has a "more satisfying feel" and that in fact it is a true side-stick versus Cirrus which simply has a yoke-like device mounted on the side. I thought it was an interesting observation.

Last edited:
Back