Cirrus SR22 vs Cessna 172 a newbies perspective!

mrjones30

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Freedom is Flying
I flew a Cessna 172S G1000 a few months ago and then I got into a Cirrus SR22 just recently in a flight club. Both conditions were perfect with viz greater than 20 miles. In my opinion, I didn't like the way Cirrus has the joystick on the left side like that, it just feels awkward. I thought that it would be a great transition because I played Flight sim for years on a joystick. I enjoyed the yoke on the older Cessna better for some reason. Due to the fact that I am new to flying I have no personal bias to any particular brand. What is your opinion on both airplanes?

In my opinion, I didn't like the way Cirrus has the joystick on the left side like that, it just feels awkward.
You adapt pretty quickly -- a few hours should do.

What is your opinion on both airplanes?
Different classes. You can't compare a 180HP plane designed in the 50's with the technology of that day to a 310HP plane designed in the 90's with the technologies develped in the four decades between. They're both fine airplanes for the purposes for which they were designed, but they were designed for different purposes.

My experience was a bit different... after ~140hrs in 172S G1000s, I transitioned into an SR20. The sidestick only felt odd for the first 20 minutes or so, then I quickly forgot about it and it felt natural.

The big adjustment for me is taxiing... nosewheel steering vs castering nosewheel. That took a lot more to get used to than the sidestick vs yoke.

Did you actually fly both planes, or just sit in the SR22 on the ground?

The Cessnalumbia's have side sticks....the SR20-22's have half yokes..

My experience was a bit different... after ~140hrs in 172S G1000s, I transitioned into an SR20. The sidestick only felt odd for the first 20 minutes or so, then I quickly forgot about it and it felt natural.

The big adjustment for me is taxiing... nosewheel steering vs castering nosewheel. That took a lot more to get used to than the sidestick vs yoke.

Did you actually fly both planes, or just sit in the SR22 on the ground?

I flew both planes as a introduction. The Cessna didn't seem old at all the G1000 had pretty much everything that the Cirrus had except tks.

If you are used to a Cessna, just think about flying with your left hand on the yoke, with your right hand free for the throttle or a pencil. The cirrus side yoke is not much different. It is still a yoke, and you still use your left hand.

I also found the castering nose wheel to be much more annoying during my first hours in a Cirrus than the side stick ever was. The awkwardness goes away pretty quickly. Try flying a plane that has a stick in the center, then you'll think the yoke feels weird.

As Ron said, you're comparing apples to oranges here, two different aircraft from different generations with different missions (maybe). The Cirrus is a great airplane, but, in my opinion, it's not a great airplane to go putz around and see the sights in...it's a traveler.

Put it this way, if I'm taking a few friends on a 100 mile flight to the beach for the weekend, I'll take the 172 (or 182) every time...it's just as capable (with the exception of the new SR22T w/ FIKI capability) as the Cirrus, but is much cheaper and more comfortable than the Cirrus (the single axis of adjustability and stiffness of the front seats always bothered me). If you're going to make 400 mile round trips every week with a limited payload, then I'd say look at the Cirrus. Depends on the mission, but both are fine airplanes and will serve you well!

I flew both planes as a introduction. The Cessna didn't seem old at all the G1000 had pretty much everything that the Cirrus had except tks.
Except kts, except range, except ceiling, except ergonomics, except cabin width,...
I agree with others, it is strange to compare both aircraft side by side,completely different league, financially too.

Last edited:
Except kts, except range, except ceiling, except ergonomics, except cabin width,...
I agree with others, it is strange to compare both aircraft side by side,completely different league, financially too.

and the tendency to explode. :stirpot:

Okay,

So here is a Cessna 2011 172S

http://www.aso.com/listings/spec/ViewAd.aspx?id=133941&listingType=true&IsInternal=True&dealerid=

And here is a 2006 Cirrus SR22

http://www.aso.com/listings/spec/ViewAd.aspx?id=138738&listingType=true&IsInternal=True&dealerid=

Both are almost the exact same price, the Cirrus has just 80 hours on it both are in good shape. Which one would you choose if you had to pick one?

The castering nose wheel is a little harder to get used to. I finally am able to get around fine with the castering nose wheel. I am not in a cirrus. The castering nose wheel, allows the plane to make near zero radius turns. Very nice feature. Down side I would think is for the owner of this type of steering. Going to have to service the brakes more often.

The only thing modern about that 182S with G1000 is the avionics. Everything else, from aerodynamics to construction, is 1950's technology. That's the big difference. Imagine building today a 1957 Chevy with modern sound, video, and navigation systems in it, and then comparing it to a current production Lexus.

The only thing modern about that 182S with G1000 is the avionics. Everything else, from aerodynamics to construction, is 1950's technology. That's the big difference. Imagine building today a 1957 Chevy with modern sound, video, and navigation systems in it, and then comparing it to a current production Lexus.

I'd rock it!:rockon:

My guess is it isn't the side yoke you don't like, but the feel of the controls in an sr-22. Even with a normal yoke I would still hate the way an sr-22 feels with the spring loaded controls. In a 172 the airplane talks to you through the yoke but in an sr-22 you just don't get that. I also can't stand not having a trim wheel.

In comparing the two planes your preference is going to be 100% what your mission is. If you are going somewhere it's a sr-22, if you are training it's a 172.

Right until someone rear-ends you in F-150 and oops, there are no headrests on it, hellooooo whiplash!

Of course there are headrests. Where am I supposed to put the rear seat TVs?:D

I'll let you know my thoughts, too, after I complete the FBO's workbook, careful study of POH, and checkout flights. (This is for the 20, though)

Both are almost the exact same price, the Cirrus has just 80 hours on it both are in good shape. Which one would you choose if you had to pick one?
Because buying a brand new (or close) aircraft is not high on my priority list I would definitely pick the Cirrus. But I know I could probably afford to fly it, maintaining and flying this 172S would cost a lot less. You must consider cost of ownership - it is indispensable part of every decision to purchase an aircraft, your insurance agent should also be polled. :wink2:

Last edited:
If you are used to a Cessna, just think about flying with your left hand on the yoke, with your right hand free for the throttle or a pencil. The cirrus side yoke is not much different. It is still a yoke, and you still use your left hand.

I think the issue with me is I would like to use both hands. I broke my left hand years ago playing Baseball so when I went up using just my left hand it was painful. All is healed in my hand right now but when I used both hands on the yoke it felt much better, (Yeah, I had a death grip) :D

I think the issue with me is I would like to use both hands. I broke my left hand years ago playing Baseball so when I went up using just my left hand it was painful. All is healed in my hand right now but when I used both hands on the yoke it felt much better, (Yeah, I had a death grip) :D
The death grip goes away. It is counter productive. Gentle pressure relentlessly applied until you have it trimmed out. Then you barely have to touch it.

My guess is it isn't the side yoke you don't like, but the feel of the controls in an sr-22. Even with a normal yoke I would still hate the way an sr-22 feels with the spring loaded controls. In a 172 the airplane talks to you through the yoke but in an sr-22 you just don't get that. I also can't stand not having a trim wheel.

Yay! An intelligent comment about Cirrus from someone who has actually flown one. I agree. The 172 allows you to sense more through the yoke. Trimming a Cirrus is annoying and makes you long for the trim wheel in a 172.

No big deal where they put the controls really, they all do the same thing. One thing you'll learn to appreciate about a sidestick/yoke is a clear lap.

Yay! An intelligent comment about Cirrus from someone who has actually flown one. I agree. The 172 allows you to sense more through the yoke. Trimming a Cirrus is annoying and makes you long for the trim wheel in a 172.
I'd agree with that, but I've also flown with a seasoned Cirrus pilot who does it very well.

Lack of a trim wheel isn't unusual even in jets. I've found that the absence of a wheel forces pilots to think and plan a bit more, and based on many years' observation it's clear that they detest such chores.

I'd agree with that, but I've also flown with a seasoned Cirrus pilot who does it very well.

Maybe it's my jet fighter background, but I prefer the "coolie hat" on the stick to separate wheels or knobs requiring one hand off throttle/stick. Once you fly with it some, I think you will, too. But I dislike the spring-centering, which I believe was eliminated in later models.

Okay,

So here is a Cessna 2011 172S

http://www.aso.com/listings/spec/ViewAd.aspx?id=133941&listingType=true&IsInternal=True&dealerid=

And here is a 2006 Cirrus SR22

http://www.aso.com/listings/spec/ViewAd.aspx?id=138738&listingType=true&IsInternal=True&dealerid=

What are you going to do with it? Put around get the 172 long trips the cirrus. Shorter/unpaved runways the Cessna, no need for such capability, the cirrus gear has less drag

Yadda Yadda Yadda, do you buy an escalade or a CTS? ;)

Maybe it's my jet fighter background, but I prefer the "coolie hat" on the stick to separate wheels or knobs requiring one hand off throttle/stick. Once you fly with it some, I think you will, too. But I dislike the spring-centering, which I believe was eliminated in later models.

I'll get back to you on that. The CFI I spoke with today says the two 2009 Cirri we have still have the spring centering.

:idea::idea:If you really want a sweet ride strap on a Grumman Tiger. You will forget you ever flew anything else. Fast, Economical and easy to repair. :stirpot:

Let the games begin :popcorn:

Back