Cirrus SR22 down at Lee N8163Q

flyifrvfr

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
flyifrvfr
Small Plane Crash In Anne Arundel County

(WJZ/AP) Edgewater, MD WJZ.COM has learned of a small plane crash near Edgewater, Anne Arundel County.

Anne Arundel County Fire dispatch confirms to Eyewitness News the crash happened near Lee airport.

Anne Arundel County Police Lieutenant David Waltemeyer says the plane was reported down in a field just south of the airport, at 171 Lee's Lane in Edgewater.

The plane, which was a four seat Cirrus S-R-22, was en route to the airport from Ocean City, New Jersey.

It appears only the pilot was aboard the aircraft at the time of the crash. The pilot is being transported via medevac to shock trauma. The pilot is in his 40's with trauma to the head.

No one on the ground was injured

Sky Eye Chopper 13 is en-route to the scene.

Stay with Eyewitness News and WJZ.COM for additional information on this still breaking story

lg
lg
lg
9497403_320X240.jpg
9497398_320X240.jpg

Last edited:
What you can't see from the pictures is that the airplane came through a group of trees that border the runway and plowed into the ground. Go to wbaltv.com for video.

N-number : N8163QAircraft Serial Number : 0785
Aircraft Manufacturer : CIRRUS DESIGN CORP
Model : SR22
Engine Manufacturer : CONT MOTOR
Model : IO-550 SERIES
Aircraft Year : 2003
Owner Name : DILKS AIRCRAFTS LLC
Owner Address : 854 FAIRLAWN CT
MARCO ISLAND, FL, 34145-2315
Type of Owner : Corporation
Registration Date : 19-Feb-2004
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
Approved Operations : Normal

Hope he survives. Looking at the wreckage it is hard to believe any one could have survived the crash.

Hmmm..that's 3 today in the news. One in Va. Beach, one in Ohio, and one in Md.

Greg
182RG

ggroves said:
Hmmm..that's 3 today in the news. One in Va. Beach, one in Ohio, and one in Md.

Greg
182RG

Three Cirri?

looks like the cover for the rocket and parachute popped off (typical in an impact) but I think I see the rocket still inside.

I took a rescue class on rendering those things safe - you would NOT want to have it go off while pointed at you!

NC Pilot said:
Hope he survives. Looking at the wreckage it is hard to believe any one could have survived the crash.

Looks like the cockpit was the capsule and the rest of the plane absorbed the energy. Like one sees in car wrecks. Pretty luck to survive.

And Tim, I agree looks like the chute was not deployed.

pretty easy to see from the damage that it wasnt a chute deployment. i imagine you guys are considering a deployment after impact, which has happened?

It doesn't look like the chute was deployed judging from the pics. I am interested in knowing whether the pilot did try to deploy the chute, or not. I would guess that because he was shooting for the airport he chose not to deploy the chute. This could turn out to be an excellent case of judgement. On one hand I can make the airport and land without damage to the plane. On the other hand if I pull the chute I definately won't make the airport, and the plane will be destroyed.

or you can miss the airport, mess up the landing, and the airplane will be destroyed as well as your body. take your pick...

flyifrvfr said:
It doesn't look like the chute was deployed judging from the pics. I am interested in knowing whether the pilot did try to deploy the chute, or not. I would guess that because he was shooting for the airport he chose not to deploy the chute. This could turn out to be an excellent case of judgement. On one hand I can make the airport and land without damage to the plane. On the other hand if I pull the chute I definately won't make the airport, and the plane will be destroyed.

Opening the "speculation game", watching the video I he was beelining for the short approach on a normal left base. Too low to deploy???

tonycondon said:
pretty easy to see from the damage that it wasnt a chute deployment. i imagine you guys are considering a deployment after impact, which has happened?

Yeah, since the panel was popped I was looking to see if the rocket had fired.

Col. John Lowrey and I were talking about the new composite aircraft and he seems to think that they have better crash survivability in part due to the composites. Says they absorbe more energy

The report I read said "a departure stall on the go around" .:(

I anticipate more details will be forthcoming soon.

Steve said:
The report I read said "a departure stall on the go around" .:(

I anticipate more details will be forthcoming soon.

Video from wbaltv 11 shows damage to trees that border the runway. I believe that the Cirrus came through the trees and impacted in a field not far from the runway.

I agree based on the video he came through the trees but was he going for a really short final? Also I don't see any sign of fire so I am assuming that he was out of fuel and trying to get to the runway hence the shout final. I hope he is ok, we never like to see this.

rmciottijr said:
I agree based on the video he came through the trees but was he going for a really short final? Also I don't see any sign of fire so I am assuming that he was out of fuel and trying to get to the runway hence the shout final. I hope he is ok, we never like to see this.

Lack of fire does not neccessarily mean a fuel starvation situation. I have witnessed an accident that had a significant amount of fuel spill all around the airplane but still no fire. The reason for that was pretty simple in that there lacked an ignition source. The fuel never got hot enough to ignite.

The accident I witness was a landing accident in which a C182 came in too fast, the pilot porpoised and bounced several time finally breaking the nose gear and plowing into the grass allong the runway. Fuel then leaked out from the wing tanks that tilted at an odd angle. When I got to the accident I made sure the fuel shutoff was pulled and that everyone stayed away until the firedepartment arrived about 5 minutes later but no fire.

Something similiar could have happened as well with this accident.

smigaldi said:
Lack of fire does not neccessarily mean a fuel starvation situation. I have witnessed an accident that had a significant amount of fuel spill all around the airplane but still no fire. The reason for that was pretty simple in that there lacked an ignition source. The fuel never got hot enough to ignite.

I can attest to this. The accident I was in (as a passenger) we were full of fuel and had just (attempted) to take off. One of the firefighters told me later at the hospital that the reason it took them so long to get us out was that they had to contend with all the fuel around the plane before they could cut us out (not that I remember that part). Both wings were ripped off and fuel was everywhere, but apparently there was no spark to set it off. Thankfully! :eek:

AdamZ said:
Col. John Lowrey and I were talking about the new composite aircraft and he seems to think that they have better crash survivability in part due to the composites. Says they absorbe more energy
I believe that composites may be able to withstand more force, but once they break they shatter. It would seem that energy absorption would be better in metal that crushes rather than composites that shatter. I could be wrong.

jkaduk said:
I believe that composites may be able to withstand more force, but once they break they shatter. It would seem that energy absorption would be better in metal that crushes rather than composites that shatter. I could be wrong.

I think it really depends on the way the carbon fiber componant is designed and built. CF can be made to flex in one direction and provide incredible stiffness in another.

Lee is a tricky airport, too: 2500' X 48' with displaced thresholds, landing distances are 2024' and 2179'. This is doable for a Cessna and I'm sure OK for a Cirrus, but you can't be off your game. This isn't a criticism of anyone; just an observation of this airport's difficulties.

Back