Cirrus Seaplane...

infotango said:
Somebody picked this up on AIG aircraft salvage. I'd stay away. No sense in dealing with a middleman when you can buy tons of salvage aircraft from Katrina direct from the broker. Something here smells fishy....maybe its just the wet plane.

http://www.koelnischerueck.de/USAU.nsf/Doc/2004CIRRUSSR20G2,N396CD

hehehe...

I just read the ad on ebay...

FLOOD VICTUM EASY FIXER

Ok, I could care less how someone spells, I make mistakes all the time, but if you are going to try and sell an aicraft or a high priced item, you may want to run your ad through a spell checker....

Victum....... Hmmm wonder why no bids.... DOH!!!!!!

Wings are gone, mold mildew and who knows what else, and all the avionics are most likely totally gone due to corrosion and salt water. Then the guy uses what look like the same pictures from the USAIG site. Maybe it is really USAIG?

Buyer Beware.....

Note that the FAA did send out a notice recently that these aircraft would be showing up for sale...many not disclosed as being involved in the nasty weather. Beware of anything that appears to come from the gulf states or FLA.

That said...I saw an advert recently for a Cherokee 6, probably in TaP, "water up to the floor boards only", "needs wheels and brakes".

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Note that the FAA did send out a notice recently that these aircraft would be showing up for sale...many not disclosed as being involved in the nasty weather. Beware of anything that appears to come from the gulf states or FLA.

That said...I saw an advert recently for a Cherokee 6, probably in TaP, "water up to the floor boards only", "needs wheels and brakes".

Len
And now, the "rest of the story" ... said Cherokee 6 was recovered inverted in 4 feet of water! Therefore, the seller's story is mostly true! :D

Just my cynical take on the deal - above comments are based on nothing but my own smart-alecky attitude and imagination.

Sonar5 said:
hehehe...

I just read the ad on ebay...

........ but if you are going to try and sell an aircraft or a high priced item, you may want to run your ad through a spell checker....

Bingo! My thoughts, precisely. A strong premise is always weakened by a loose presentation.

HR

i wonder if this seller is in anyway associated with aig? or just taking stuff off salvage sites and putting them on ebay. what a riot! i guess thats one way to make a living! tc

tom clark said:
i wonder if this seller is in anyway associated with aig? or just taking stuff off salvage sites and putting them on ebay. what a riot! i guess thats one way to make a living! tc

Well I logged in, and looked at his other activity. He has bought and sold what appear to be legit aviation parts, so maybe he was the winning bidder on USAIG and is now trying a quick turn.

He did disclose it was a flood plane, so it is buyer beware.

However the only thing that pile is good for is in someones garage as a trophy or a cockpit for flightsim, IMHO. I'll give him a couple hundred for it tops. :D

That might not be such a bad thing. Cirrus is plastic, so the airframe won't corrode.

I'm not sure what a wet and moldy SR20 fiberglass shell is worth.

infotango said:
Apparently quite a lot, the wet hunk of junk sold.

What a waste of money. How are you going to explain the damage history on that one. "well ya see the wings had some water spots so we decided to replace them. Also the avionics have been cleaned off with a combination of a little salt and water..."

larrysb said:
I'm trying to figure that one out. Looks like it sold for around $65k.

Maybe if you combine parts with one that was structurally damaged by wind, pulling the engines, interior, avionics and any remaining rustable parts, you could build a useably SR20 out of it.

A lot of work for a $250k used (probably less with this history) airplane. I don't think I'd pump a $100k into that project.
That's assuming the buyer is honest.... There are people who create flyable if not legal airplanes out of damaged ones, and sell them to unsuspecting buyers.
The other possibility is that he just doesn't know what he is getting into.
I just refuse to believe that savvy salvage buyers would purchase one of these things through a middleman on eBay rather than buy direct from a salvage dealer.

Back