Cirrus moron

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Near hit today. I'm approaching from the east to enter left downwind at mid-field for RWY 19 per TWR instructions. There is a helicopter at 1,000 msl (600 agl) below me and climbing on same heading and a Cessna on base entry to 19. I have the Cessna. A moron in a Cirrus is departing 19 to the east. For inbound traffic, TWR tells the guy after departure to stay south of a road adjacent to the aprt. The idjut acknowledges. I knew something was up when he twice asked TWR for the departure freq. His 2nd request was when he on the roll.

4 HZ and I don't see the guy but he should be a couple miles at my 9 o'clock, opposite direction. I'm looking, then I scan to my 12 o'clock and he's RIGHT THERE maybe 100' low skimming to my 1 o'clock. I'm level at TPA about to enter downwind and this turkey is climbing into me.

Not only did he not comply with departure clearance or the noise abatement procedure over this congested city but he had to have turned way early to cross then to a sorta kinda downwind on a northeast heading. He specifically said he would be heading 090 after crossing south of the road.

After I pulled up and turned into him he got back on TWR freq to say he couldn't contact DEP and to ask if there is another DEP freq. That he didn't even wobble as he passed immediately below me tells me he didn't even see me. I KNOW he was head down fiddling with the radio in his TAA. If I hadn't seen him when I did we'd be on tonight's news.

I was so hot after I landed that I was ready to contact TWR to get after that dude. I was talked down...I'm better now.

My error, I violated my unwritten code that every pilot out there is trying to kill me. I sort of expected him to follow a clearance. My bad.

His adventures are likely not over. I'm just glad you're safe.

I'm wondering. Would a NASA report place an N-number on file as having caused a problem?

I'm wondering. Would a NASA report place an N-number on file as having caused a problem?
I do not believe that the ASRS system can be used to tattle on a pilot. You'd do better calling the FAAST team at your local FSDO, and I think you should do that.

-Skip

Yeah, I read the title and thought, oh boy, another Cirrus-bashing thread. Still, I've seen this kind of stunt pulled by all kinds. Come to think of it, though, mostly Mooneys and Cirri. Maybe it is a hi-perf thing? Well, I won't go down that road. Let's chalk it up to stupid piloting.

I'd have called the tower, I don't understand why someone would have talked you out of it. That is, unless you were so irate and pi$$ed off that the message would have been lost because of the messenger.

I'm truly glad that nothing serious resulted from the incident.

Yeah, I read the title and thought, oh boy, another Cirrus-bashing thread. Still, I've seen this kind of stunt pulled by all kinds. Come to think of it, though, mostly Mooneys and Cirri. Maybe it is a hi-perf thing? Well, I won't go down that road. Let's chalk it up to stupid piloting.

I was wondering the same thing too, but I usually see it with Bonanzas

I was wondering the same thing too, but I usually see it with Bonanzas

Not too long ago, I happened to be stopped at a large intersection just off the departure end of runway 32 at Craig airport (CRG) when a departing Bonanza blasts overhead at no more than 200' agl. He had to have been at full power and was climbing at a very shallow angle and had already turned to a westerly heading. Clearly this guy liked the view down low, or was trying to show off. He should have still been on the the runway heading, or at least close to it IMHO. At the very least, he should have been climbing to cruise altitude for noise abatement. He wasn't the least bit interested in being a good neighbor to the folks living near the airport who already want it to go away.

Back