Circuit City fires employees, claims they're overpaid

$11.59 per hour was the rate that got one of the employees cut. That's actually pretty high.

I know at Best Buy the starting Geek Squad pay of about $10.20 per hour was WAY higher than everyone else in the store which started at about $7.50.

You don't get rich working retail. There is a reason the service sucks.

I know a guy just left a relatively cushy 6-figure job in Jax to go work in CC's corporate HQ at virtually the same salary as he had here. That's looking like a good career move right now!

Today, Clark Howard was slamming CC for this move. By his analysis, CC was one of the few big box stores that had employees who knew what they were selling and how to deal with customers. So, now they kick those employees in the teeth and opt to offer poor service.

This will certainly follow them in the future and sure as heck spoil anyone from seeking them as a long-term employer. It's clear they don't care about quality employees. Well, you get what you pay for!

Just wondering... how many of you would buy a plane from a manufacturer who did such a trick? I'd run like a rabbit with a tail on fire.

See what happens when you say "No!" too many times when they insist you need the extended warranty?....or the $59 cable?

Today, Clark Howard was slamming CC for this move. By his analysis, CC was one of the few big box stores that had employees who knew what they were selling and how to deal with customers. So, now they kick those employees in the teeth and opt to offer poor service.

This will certainly follow them in the future and sure as heck spoil anyone from seeking them as a long-term employer. It's clear they don't care about quality employees. Well, you get what you pay for!

Just wondering... how many of you would buy a plane from a manufacturer who did such a trick? I'd run like a rabbit with a tail on fire.
You ever seen a rabbit run with a tail on fire? They don't get very far...mostly run in circles.

BTW: yesterday morning I saw CC was up 3 pts.

The next downsizing will be to get rid of the few remaining pesky customers.

Ya think they might do something to shore up a knowledgeable staff? Nawww... few executives learn from their mistakes. Unless it was their own money to start with.

I guarantee, one man who fails several times and succeeds in the end will know more about how best to operate a company than a dozen or so Harvard-degreed executives at the top of some corporation's office tower.

Also, I'd never hire a former "executive" in a government position to run my company nor any department within. This morning, I was at the HUD office in Atlanta. I saw a seventeen story building solely filled with government employees to handle bureaucracy in five of fifty states. I would safely wager a fourth to a third of those employees would never make it in the private sector.

They'll fix the 'problem' and some top exec will get a $500,000 bonus and stock option of twice that.

They'll fix the 'problem' and some top exec will get a $500,000 bonus and stock option of twice that.

:rofl: $500,000? The Home Depot guy got over $200,000,000 to go away after putting them in the tank over a 5 year reign.

And market share is being lost to Best Buy due to this? My experience is that their sales people know even less than Circuit City's. But, maybe that's just where I live? :dunno:

And market share is being lost to Best Buy due to this? My experience is that their sales people know even less than Circuit City's. But, maybe that's just where I live? :dunno:

Market share is going online. The only thing you miss is being advised/asked/told/warned/threatened at least 4 times that you need the extended warranty on that fine new product you're buying, that doesn't do a thing for a year.

You ever seen a rabbit run with a tail on fire? They don't get very far...mostly run in circles.
BTW: yesterday morning I saw CC was up 3 pts.
What do ya get when you pour boiling water down a rabbit hole?

hot cross bunnies. :D

When CC and BB have bad service/knowledge/support/product/etc there customers turn into my customers. I run a Custom Electronics company and staff turn over is minimal. I take care of them and they take care of me.

:rofl: $500,000? The Home Depot guy got over $200,000,000 to go away after putting them in the tank over a 5 year reign.

They overpaid him! I could have done it for 1/10 the cost! And it wouldn't have taken me 5 years either.:goofy:

Too bad they can't fire the overpaid execs and replace them with lower cost execs. bastids.

Market share is going online. The only thing you miss is being advised/asked/told/warned/threatened at least 4 times that you need the extended warranty on that fine new product you're buying, that doesn't do a thing for a year.
That's only true of the most reputable online retailers. The scumbag ones, which usually have artificially low prices, are even more unscrupulous at pushing warranties and unneeded garbage. They even bait and switch you by saying, "You can buy the camera for half MSRP, but the battery costs you an extra $149."

The brick and mortar retailers with online competition have only one option. Have one big warehouse full of the gadgets in each large metro area, all plugged in and working, put computers all over connected to the internet (not the store's intranet like B B, and when customers have touched and played with the items enough, they can buy them online right in the store, for same day delivery. I'd actually love that. Hire some retirees like Wal Mart greeters to keep an eye on things, and have no sales weasels whatsoever.

That's only true of the most reputable online retailers. The scumbag ones, which usually have artificially low prices, are even more unscrupulous at pushing warranties and unneeded garbage. They even bait and switch you by saying, "You can buy the camera for half MSRP, but the battery costs you an extra $149."

Yeah, online won't save you from weasels. I ordered a GPS from FotoConnection.com because they had the best price when shipping was included.

Then they called me back the next day to inform me that it was an extra $25 to get the North American version instead of the European version. I shoulda cancelled right there, but I didn't. Then the guy asked me if I was suuuuuuuuuuure I didn't want the extended warranty. When I finally told him to either shut up or cancel the order, he got the picture. I will never buy from them again.

Back