Cingular opposes allowing cell phones on planes

So does the AFA..

STOP THE CELL PHONE INVASION
“Can you hear me now?” Picture a plane full of people saying this. If the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has its way, pretty soon this scenario won’t require much imagination. The FCC issued a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) that would relax restrictions on cell phone use, opening the door for passengers to use cell phones in flight. AFA-CWA strongly opposes this proposal.
The use of cell phones in the air is not only inappropriate but unsafe. We have no data to suggest that cell phone use doesn’t interfere with aircraft navigation systems. The NPRM claims that cell phone use among passengers would enhance security onboard because it would allow better communication with people on the ground. By the same token, it would enable terrorists on board to communicate with one another to execute a hijacking more effectively. They could, for example, simply take out a Blackberry to email the positions of flight crew or someone they suspect to be a Federal Air Marshal or to communicate if the flight deck door were being opened for a pilot.

The mixture of thin air, cramped quarters, frayed nerves and alcohol consumption already pushes passengers to the limit. Add multiple, high volume cell phone conversations and the recipe for disaster is complete.

The introduction of cell phone use in the cabin will not only increase tension among passengers, it will compromise flight attendants’ ability to maintain order in an emergency. Imagine trying to prepare passengers for an evacuation and you’re getting the 'wait a minute finger wag' while the people in that area miss out on crucial information you are trying to communicate.

We have until March 31 to tell the FCC why allowing cell phone use in flight is irresponsible and a bad idea. To tell the FCC your concerns from a flight attendant perspective, go to
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/websql/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.hts?ws_mode=proc_name&proc_id=04-435
and complete the form. Be sure to tell the FCC:

· There is no hard evidence that cell phone use doesn’t interfere with navigational instruments.
· Cell phone use would enable terrorists to coordinate a plan of action more effectively.
· The NPRM would leave it up to flight attendants to police the use of cell phones onboard the aircraft compromising our ability to maintain a safe, secure cabin environment and to conduct emergency evacuations.
· It would make an already tense cabin environment even more stressful.

Thanks for taking the time to protect our workplace.

Personally, I'd like to require headsets for those DVD players. I'm tired of listening to other people's crap over and above the regular jet noise.

By the same token, it would enable terrorists on board to communicate with one another to execute a hijacking more effectively. They could, for example, simply take out a Blackberry to email the positions of flight crew or someone they suspect to be a Federal Air Marshal or to communicate if the flight deck door were being opened for a pilot.

And the FCC regulation stops them NOW!?!?
What a dumb thing to say.

Can't say I'm too surprised that Cingular opposes it.

While I can't say that I'm a big fan of use of cellphones in an airline cattle-car, most of the major airlines currently have airphones that allow you to make calls.

I do note, however, that one of the current breeds of airphone is operated by AT&T, which is being bought by SBC (one of the parents of Cingular). You think that the additional profit from the airphone (not to mention the monopoly position) might have anything to do with this? Naaahhhhh, can't be. <sarcasm on> SBC always does things for altruistic reasons <sarcasm off>

wsuffa said:
Naaahhhhh, can't be.
Well I couldn't figure it but that explains it perfectly.
I think you said a coupla days ago "Follow the money" and there is the answer, again.

Speed said:
So does the AFA..

STOP THE CELL PHONE INVASION

“Can you hear me now?” Picture a plane full of people saying this. If the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has its way, pretty soon this scenario won’t require much imagination. The FCC issued a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) that would relax restrictions on cell phone use, opening the door for passengers to use cell phones in flight. AFA-CWA strongly opposes this proposal.

The use of cell phones in the air is not only inappropriate but unsafe. We have no data to suggest that cell phone use doesn’t interfere with aircraft navigation systems. The NPRM claims that cell phone use among passengers would enhance security onboard because it would allow better communication with people on the ground. By the same token, it would enable terrorists on board to communicate with one another to execute a hijacking more effectively. They could, for example, simply take out a Blackberry to email the positions of flight crew or someone they suspect to be a Federal Air Marshal or to communicate if the flight deck door were being opened for a pilot.

The mixture of thin air, cramped quarters, frayed nerves and alcohol consumption already pushes passengers to the limit. Add multiple, high volume cell phone conversations and the recipe for disaster is complete.

The introduction of cell phone use in the cabin will not only increase tension among passengers, it will compromise flight attendants’ ability to maintain order in an emergency. Imagine trying to prepare passengers for an evacuation and you’re getting the 'wait a minute finger wag' while the people in that area miss out on crucial information you are trying to communicate.

We have until March 31 to tell the FCC why allowing cell phone use in flight is irresponsible and a bad idea. To tell the FCC your concerns from a flight attendant perspective, go to
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/websql/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.hts?ws_mode=proc_name&proc_id=04-435
and complete the form. Be sure to tell the FCC:

· There is no hard evidence that cell phone use doesn’t interfere with navigational instruments.
· Cell phone use would enable terrorists to coordinate a plan of action more effectively.
· The NPRM would leave it up to flight attendants to police the use of cell phones onboard the aircraft compromising our ability to maintain a safe, secure cabin environment and to conduct emergency evacuations.
· It would make an already tense cabin environment even more stressful.

Thanks for taking the time to protect our workplace.

You must be kidding that you think an FAA or FCC regulation would prevent a terrorists from coordinating an attack if they so desired too. :no: :no: :no:

There is no hard evidence that cell phone use doesn’t interfere with navigational instruments.

What kind of backwards argument is that?? Uh, there is no hard evidence that cell phones DO interfere either!

Back