Cincinnati rental and IR options

jpower

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
James
Hi all,

I posted a while ago about being in Cincinnati this summer and looking at my options, but now that I'm actually here, I figured I'd start a new thread to ask a few more specific questions in hopes of getting some local insight. A bit about what I want--I know I want to rent two and four place planes to putt around in VFR, and I might want to get an instrument rating as well. Also, I'm both living and working right around/at the Glendale-Milford exit from I-75.

I think I'm down to two options that I like the most. The first is Whitewater Aviation at Cincinnati West. They've only got two 172s, but from what I can tell online, they look nicely equipped, both with IFR GPS installations (one 430 and one King something or other). The other is the Flying Neutrons flying club at Lebanon-Warren County. Looks like they have several levels of membership, and the one that would interest me most is the mid-level (Skyhawks and Paradise LSA). Not sure if they'd take me if they knew I would only be there for a summer, though.

Does anyone know anything about these places in particular? How would the after-work commute be to these locations? That's likely when I'd be able to do my instrument training, if I decide to go for it now. And is there anywhere else I've missed looking at? Clermont County looks farther away and is somewhat more expensive, and I checked out Butler County today but wasn't too impressed with the operation there.

Thanks in advance!!

The Neutrons used to be based at ISZ (Blue Ash) before the city closed it. Club has been around for a long time. I bought a plane (and never joined the clubs), so I can't speak to particulars.

You might also see what's out at HAO - it has a full ILS & is within the same reasonable distance from where you'll be. I based at HAO as they had hangars. Good folks up there.

PM Sent

Hi all,

I posted a while ago about being in Cincinnati this summer and looking at my options, but now that I'm actually here, I figured I'd start a new thread to ask a few more specific questions in hopes of getting some local insight. A bit about what I want--I know I want to rent two and four place planes to putt around in VFR, and I might want to get an instrument rating as well. Also, I'm both living and working right around/at the Glendale-Milford exit from I-75.

I think I'm down to two options that I like the most. The first is Whitewater Aviation at Cincinnati West. They've only got two 172s, but from what I can tell online, they look nicely equipped, both with IFR GPS installations (one 430 and one King something or other). The other is the Flying Neutrons flying club at Lebanon-Warren County. Looks like they have several levels of membership, and the one that would interest me most is the mid-level (Skyhawks and Paradise LSA). Not sure if they'd take me if they knew I would only be there for a summer, though.

Does anyone know anything about these places in particular? How would the after-work commute be to these locations? That's likely when I'd be able to do my instrument training, if I decide to go for it now. And is there anywhere else I've missed looking at? Clermont County looks farther away and is somewhat more expensive, and I checked out Butler County today but wasn't too impressed with the operation there.

Thanks in advance!!

Depending on how far you are looking to travel look at Greene County (I19). They have a nice club there with a few different aircraft. Most of them are Pipers, but they are adding a few others. Club membership is around $400/year and rentals are close to $110/hour wet on Hobbs time. The website is macairaeroclub.com.

Dave

Depending on how far you are looking to travel look at Greene County (I19). They have a nice club there with a few different aircraft. Most of them are Pipers, but they are adding a few others. Club membership is around $400/year and rentals are close to $110/hour wet on Hobbs time. The website is macairaeroclub.com.

Dave

Red Stewart (Waynesville, OH) is also not too far... and has some interesting aircraft for rent...

http://www.stewartsaircraft.net/aircraft-fleet-and-rental.html

Dave

Looks like a nice club, though it's a little farther than I'm hoping to drive. Thanks for the info though!

Red Stewart (Waynesville, OH) is also not too far... and has some interesting aircraft for rent...

I noticed them...I've been wanting to fly taildraggers for a while, so I might have to make it up there and get my endorsement......and then maybe just maybe get checked out in the Stearman.

I flew their Champs to get a tailwheel endorsement a couple of years ago. GREAT operation. It's like going back in time to fly there. You learn to use your eyes. Lots of NORDO traffic, lots of gliders based at 40I and the nearby Caesar Creek gliderport, skydiving based at 40I, and the occasional hotair balloon launch can make for a busy pattern.

I'm based at Cincinnati West. I haven't flown the rental planes, but they are well-priced and Will (the airport manager/Whitewater Aviation owner) is very nice and great to work with. I can recommend them.

Yes, I67 has a crappy approach, but that doesn't really matter for IR training. There are so many airports nearby with so many different approaches.

Back