Church goers live longer

• Regular physical exercise: 3.0-to-5.1 years
  • Proven therapeutic regimens: 2.1-to-3.7 years
  • Regular religious attendance: 1.8-to-3.1 years
  • Regular physical exercise: $4,000
  • Proven therapeutic regimens: $10,000
  • Regular religious attendance: $7,000
Interesting, but it doesn't do so well in cost effectiveness.... (Of course I wonder exactly how they're getting the 7,000? Tithe?)

wbarnhill said:
Interesting, but it doesn't do so well in cost effectiveness....

That begs the question...how much would you spend for an added 1.8-3.1 years of life?? :lightning::)

wbarnhill said:

Interesting, but it doesn't do so well in cost effectiveness.... (Of course I wonder exactly how they're getting the 7,000? Tithe?)

The money we spend in church goes to tithes for the church, in the money basket to pay the pastor, and for the occasional requests for money to support missions in the field.

wbarnhill said:
Happiness in an eternal afterlife....priceless.

:D

I've seen this same kinda thing said about work outs. If you spend so much time in the gym to get yourself healthier, it will add to your life, but that additional time you've 'created' was spent in the gym.:dunno:

SkykingC310 said:
I've seen this same kinda thing said about work outs. If you spend so much time in the gym to get yourself healthier, it will add to your life, but that additional time you've 'created' was spent in the gym.:dunno:

But you do feel better and can do more things like fly longer. So your quality of life is increased, not just longevity.

Now gimme another pizza and oh yeah a beer. :)

Anthony said:
But you do feel better and can do more things like fly longer. So your quality of life is increased, not just longevity.

When we do hard work outs and go to church a lot life just seems longer.

I'm probably not going to be able to phrase this properly so hopefully Joe and the other religious types don't take umbrage, but having worked over the years with several very religious people I've found they have an ability to handle situations serenely which would have created large amounts of stress for me. When asked they would simply state that they had faith in God to get them through this, or God doesn't give a person more than they can handle, etc.

My view is its the lack of stress that contributes to a longer life.

Of course, this theory doesn't seem to hold when it comes to marriage, which adds stress but supposedly married men live longer!:D

bstratt said:
I'm probably not going to be able to phrase this properly so hopefully Joe and the other religious types don't take umbrage, but having worked over the years with several very religious people I've found they have an ability to handle situations serenely which would have created large amounts of stress for me. When asked they would simply state that they had faith in God to get them through this, or God doesn't give a person more than they can handle, etc.

Who could take offense at that?

From faith comes peace, and that can help life's daily grind mightily.

God bless each of you (since we fly, you could say He already did!)!

Not only does religion add years to life but it adds eternity to life as Christians never really "die". We may leave this big blue ball we call earth but there is some place MUCH better where we will live the 2nd part of life.

Brian Austin said:
Happiness in an eternal afterlife....priceless.

:D

Some things money can't buy.... for everything else, there's Jesus Christ.

Anthony said:

And it doesn't have to be the gym. I like to mountain bike. Good excersize and lots of fun.
Mmm pizza and beer.
Dang it! Someone filled up the candy jar outside my office!

Back