Christen Eagle

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
I'm thinking of getting one. Im interested in any and all opinions/thoughts about them.

Tag.

There's an eagle to be had at 11R according to my buddy. Also, a Pitts S2-C.

The Christen Eagle II is a fantastic little plane. Maneuverable, comfortable, great visibility, best ingress/egress of any plane - period, hell-built-for-stout, reasonably fast and a great pedigree.

Used they are anywhere from mid-$40's for basic stock airframes to close to $100K for big-engines, modded wings, etc. The kit is still produced at Aviat but it's very pricey - good parts availability though from there and from Davis - plus some Pitts parts will fit I believe.

My brief pirep on flying an Eagle last Summer: http://acrogimprwf.wordpress.com/2013/04/11/gimpy-pilot-report-christen-eagle-ii-aerobatic-biplane/

Go get a ride in one and you'll understand.

'Gimp

Last edited:
An old thread -

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33156

Eagles are fine airplanes - similar performance to the 4-cylinder Pitts S-2A. But you rarely find S-2A's for sale, and many more Eagles seem to show up. The Eagle has less performance of course than the 6-cylider Pitts S-2B/C, and also the 180 hp S-1S, but it's a good bang for the buck two seat aerobatic airplane. Very high-quality kit. The Eagle was basically designed as a "comfy", more ergonomic version of the 200 hp Pitts S-2A. Visibility is a little better, has a better canopy, and the wide spring gear makes it much less sensitive on the ground than the bungee geared Pitts'. They can do well up to Intermediate in competition, but run out of oomph in Advanced, though they can be coerced through the Advanced sequences. But I've never flown an Eagle, just seen a number of them fly at contests. Regarding the Pitts vs. Eagle, you typically don't hear anyone say they prefer the handling of the Eagle over the Pitts, but the Eagle is more comfortable, and a little faster than the S-2A. Sort of a Cub vs. Champ thing. Both have their dedicated fans, but they are liked for different reasons...sorta like the fans of pure flying quality like the Cub, and others like the Champ for ergonomic, comfort, and visibilty reasons. But an Eagle will still be a dream compared to the Super D. :)

Last edited:
Better visibility and landing characteristics are a plus to me. I'll never compete advanced... May up to intermediate, doubt it though, we'll see.

My concern is that I'm so short and reaching the rudders well etc. I'm only 5'2". I think I'll get the owner to meet me halfway and get a look at it and a ride etc. it's already had a preflight by B. J. Boyles who is apparently known for Eagle expertise.

Here little girl want a piece of candy? Just put this parachute on..... Evil laugh.... Now you're hooked :yikes::rofl:

I get it.

You've been on this slippery slope for quite a while. Are you just now discovering that they add another layer of ice every night?:D

Here little girl want a piece of candy? Just put this parachute on..... Evil laugh.... Now you're hooked :yikes::rofl:

I get it.

Somebody prolly told him if he makes a karate sound it will help with the Gs. I just tighten my tummy and breathe out through pursed lips.

It does look like fun... Now I get to call my insurance tomorrow and find out how that will work!

And then, of course, lean how to land the little darlin'

'deed it do. Maybe I could get in shape, re-start slowly on the maneuvers, find the senior remedial class . . . I just got drafted to play scout team QB for the grandkid's Y football team, how hard can it be?

That looks like a lot of fun.

PM sent Jeanie,
It may be possible to buy my 2001 IO-540 powered Eagle. 0 time smoh. New engine going on next week. Less than 500TT. Won first place in advanced for the region in 2011. Its a good one.

Attachments

• ea1.jpg
    ea1.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 48
  • ea2.jpg
    ea2.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 56
  • ea3.jpg
    ea3.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 44
  • ea4.jpg
    ea4.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 49
I'm thinking of getting one. Im interested in any and all opinions/thoughts about them.

They are a hand full, but loads of fun once you get basic aerobatic instruction. Go for it.

Women make the best aerobatic pilots. :yes:

I've been practicing at the sportsman level... Hoping it makes it easier than the super D

They are quick, responsive, and really don't like straight and level.

Go for a fly in a 2 seated and get the feel of it. Landings are done like on a carrier. No leg is straight constant turning. They are cool as hell (looking) on the ground. Pilots either love them or shy away from them. I've looked at them very closely also, never pulled the trigger. I was an RV-8. ;) :D

I've been practicing at the sportsman level... Hoping it makes it easier than the super D

Good luck Jeanie, go for it.

I want to wait until I get a hangar up to house two birds before I pull the trigger on another one. So I'm going to wait, and try to get some time in anything I can find, and then move into another plane after the construction, which will most likely be six months from now. Unless, the deal of the century falls at my feet...

If I don't have a brain aneurysm between now and then, doing aerobatics, or puking my guts out, then I'll buy one. But I don't think I'll be puking. I loved it and the control over the aircraft. I think it'll make me a better pilot if I can get into it. :)

They are a hand full, but loads of fun once you get basic aerobatic instruction. Go for it.

Women make the best aerobatic pilots. :yes:

They are not a handful! You just can't be a puss!
They get a bad rap from people that do not have a clue because their buddy is scared of them.
Nice talking to you Jeanie, go get it! I will help any way I can.

They are not a handful! You just can't be a puss!
They get a bad rap from people that do not have a clue because their buddy is scared of them.

Never heard anyone say an Eagle is a handful...the Pitts has all the horror stories told by those who have never flown them. The Eagle has that sissy spring gear and handles on the ground like a 172. :D Hell even trike drivers can fly an Eagle. :D

Never heard anyone say an Eagle is a handful...the Pitts has all the horror stories told by those who have never flown them. The Eagle has that sissy spring gear and handles on the ground like a 172. :D Hell even trike drivers can fly an Eagle. :D

A challenge has been issued!

David

Fight!

Hey, pigpen, did you say you're getting a new, or OH engine in next week?

Last edited:
Hey guys/ladies, what's some good ground material to study for acro? What books? Where do you get 'em?

Let me in the club...

Book... Fly for fun with Bill thomas
I had engine problems so it is getting a major overhaul. Bought 6 new cylinders, not overhauled. All the parts went to ECI or Aircraft specialties for inspection/yellow tag. So the engine will be 0 since major overhaul. It will but out about 310-320 HP. IO-540 with cold air intake, 9.5:1 pistons, 6 into 1 exhaust and RSA 10 fuel servo. Come over and see it. You will fall in love with the eagle and the roomy cockpit.

Book... Fly for fun with Bill thomas
I had engine problems so it is getting a major overhaul. Bought 6 new cylinders, not overhauled. All the parts went to ECI or Aircraft specialties for inspection/yellow tag. So the engine will be 0 since major overhaul. It will but out about 310-320 HP. IO-540 with cold air intake, 9.5:1 pistons, 6 into 1 exhaust and RSA 10 fuel servo. Come over and see it. You will fall in love with the eagle and the roomy cockpit.

You bet next time I'm there we'll look it over. I've seen it up close and remember they are roomier than the Pitts.

Score: 1 for the eagle ...

Pitts 0 :D

No... That was the guy who built the airplane doing acro on his runway in his backyard.

Hey guys/ladies, what's some good ground material to study for acro? What books? Where do you get 'em?

Let me in the club...

Bill Thomas' books are good. They are dirt simple and easy to understand, but don't go into a whole lot of detail. Some good tidbits, though. IMO, Alan Cassidy's book 'Better Aerobatics' is by far the best and most comprehensive book out there if you really care about diving into the detail and having a complete understanding of the maneuvers from a technical standpoint.

No... That was the guy who built the airplane doing acro on his runway in his backyard.

And if he was willing to post that on Youtube, I'd be willing to bet he had a waivered APA activated during that time as well, due to the altitudes being flown.

In addition to those two books mike goulian and Giza Zsurovys book basic aerobatics is nice because it has pictures for what you see.

In addition to those two books mike goulian and Giza Zsurovys book basic aerobatics is nice because it has pictures for what you see.
I'll second this, both books are very good and have helped me quite a bit.

'Gimp

Here is the GPS mount example Jeanie.
I now have a 696 in the ipad mini's place and the ipad mini to the left. Mini glass cockpit. Lol!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    853.5 KB · Views: 27
Open picture and then click on it and it seems to rotate correct???? Damn I products...

Back