Chinese aviation

I was told that in China general aviation is restricted to below 500 AGL. The rest of the sky belongs to military and commercial operations. I haven't been able to verify that.

I haven't heard anything about a 500 foot restriction but the only time I am there is on approach or takeoff. The airspace in China belongs to the military period. They only allow commercial ops but can and will shut it down. I fly over an airway there called L888. Very pointed instructions about where you can go as far as emergencies and deviations with notes on the charts that any deviation will be met with deadly force. We have "bail out" routes for loss of an engine or pressurization that at the extreme can require a course reversal of 1200 nautical miles along a very specific route. Imagine being at 35000 feet and your are only about 10000 feet above the terrain...it is that high. East bound just as we enter China there is a mountain that is about 24000 within about twenty miles. You can just barely make out Everest when the weather is extremely clear.

"Fedex 123, request immediate deviation for weather"
"denied"

Only in China :)

Back