Childhood diagnosis, 1st class med

• Thread starter Looking for guidance
  • Start date
L

Looking for guidance

Thanks for taking a look. Ten years ago (2008) I saw a psychiatrist due to parents getting divorced, lack of focus in school. Doc prescribed ADHD med, antidepressant, I then took for a few months before tapering off. Have since graduated high school, college, held many jobs without either ever being an issue ever again. I never considered myself to have received a diagnosis for either depression or ADHD, more that I was just sad about the divorce and thus couldn’t focus on school. Filled out FAA 1st class medical (first FAA medical I have ever filled out) and did not check “yes” on question 18 regarding mental health history. Any medical form that has asked me (job, new doc, etc.), I have answered no because I have never believed myself to have had a mental health diagnosis. Upon further research I see that because I was prescribed medication, a diagnosis would have been entered into an insurance database. Wanting to make this correct and not potentially cause problems for me later, I started reading many forums on POA and contacted Dr. Bruce. He gave me the advice to get records and go get a P&P. I am attempting to get my records, but the medical admin let me know today that they likely do not have them, as they are only required to keep for 5 years. Unfortunately, Dr. Bruce’s case load does not permit taking me on but I am thankful for his initial guidance. Does anyone here have any additional guidance for me? Do you second getting a P&P? Should I contact the FAA via letter? I have not even begun flight training so medical has not been used once since it was obtained this year. Training is set to start early next year. Thanks much.

Dr. B's approach is sound ... but i differ in my own complicated FAA medical cases. As you know your incorrect answer must be corrected, I would find a HIMS AME, re-apply with correct answers and follow FAA the instructions. You may not be required to undergo the psychological eval and testing part. There will be no repercussions for honesty.

I am finding that the FAA's "incremental ask" approach costs airmen months and months. And after some recent "best practices" discussion in DC, I think the medical officers are going to be less and less inclined to act without substantial outside expert opinion. I do hear that in conversation with the "guys on the line".

:(

I flavor my approach with frequent phone conversations to key doctors in OKC and DC move things along, keeping the time factor well under control.

I think (?) I emailed you the "expedited service" memo of March 5? They're aiming to cut all that off save for revenue or part 141 matriculees.... :( So the precious contacts -Drs. Z, R.C, C.S, J.R, S.R.....are only usuable, judiciously.

And, if the airman is in a position in which he needs be forgiven, I generally dare not to proceed until I already have a pretty good case.....

If I mis-remember, drop me an email. :(

Last edited:
y
I think (?) I emailed you the "expedited service" memo of March 5? They're aiming to cut all that off save for revenue or part 141 matriculees.... :( So the precious contacts -Drs. Z, R.C, C.S, J.R, S.R.....are only usuable, judiciously.

And, if the airman is in a position in which he needs be forgiven, I generally dare not to proceed until I already have a pretty good case.....

If I mis-remember, drop me an email. :(

you did ... i appreciate it ... i use it too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back