Childhood Depression Question

U

Unregistered

Hello all - apologies if this has been asked and answered, I didn't find anything with a search.

So I'm a student pilot with a whole 5 hours under my belt. Looking to start preparing for my medical and looked at the mental health history. I'm in my early 30s now. At age 9 after my parents divorce I was shuttled to a therapist and given Prozac for a couple of years. No mental health issues to speak of since then (apx. age 11). My questions is this: given that it happened prior to attainment of age of majority, does this need to be included?

I've heard any and all mental health reporting creates a huge nightmare but I don't want to run afoul of regs from the opening. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

20 years ago? There's almost certainly no electronic record available from back then. Do whatever you can live with yourself after doing, it's between you and your conscience.

I would suggest a non-exam, no paperwork filled out consultation with a Senior AME in your area who has a good track record of obtaining issuances for airmen who have SSRI's in their past. Avoid the turnstile defer everything AME. There may be a small cost or the normal office visit fee for this, but you will get the correct and proper issuance information before you go official

He or she will provide the proper guidance on what, if anything, you need to bring to the exam.

My point of view is it is better to declare now and go on record with the proper info than "lie by omission". The latter can create a world of hurt and jeopardize any chances of flying should it be discovered later. The 8500-8 is a federal form and penalties are stiff whEn the lies catch up to you.

It depends.

Can you say you remember correctly from when ycAere that young?

OTOH, I knew I had a potential major roadblock in my past, so at my first medical I came in with a letter from my doctor, a complete life history, and 23 years of medical records for a consult with a senior AME.

Got approved as regular issuance after a quick back and forth with OKC, and it's forever after not an issue. Which is good because a local pilot tried to use it as blackmail against me, but the FAA is on record as accepting it, so I never have to worry about it again.

To those who hide behind the unregistered feature because they apparently don't want to give advice under their own screen name.

From the Rules of Conduct...

The ability to post confidentially in the Medical Topics and Lessons Learned forums is provided to protect posters who disclose sensitive information. It is not meant to be used as a method for anonymous trolling or posting of sarcastic replies. Posts which are seen by the MC to be an abuse of the unregistered feature will be deleted.

These posts and the posts quoting them have been deleted by vote of the MC.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back