Chiggers

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
They seem to love me, but I hate them. I have about 30 bites right now, driving me nuts.

Chigarid. :yes:

Go to the pharmacy and get a bottle. It kills the itch and seals the sore. I never go anywhere without a bottle. You wont be able to sleep well with out it. ;)

http://www.chigarid.com/

Last edited:
Chigarid. :yes:

Go to the pharmacy and get a bottle. It kills the itch and seals the sore. I never go anywhere without a bottle. Yoiu wont be able to sleep well with out it. ;)

http://www.chigarid.com/

I got them on my back, under my arms, on my arms, my thighs, ankles, underwear line, places I don't want to discuss.

Previous owner had an electric fence setup for a garden out in the field. I spent the day out in the brush pulling up old rebar and aluminum wire. At least I didn't get the poison ivy like the wife did.

Anbesol for toothaches works wonders. Keep rubbing on each spot and after about an hour of continually rubbing it on each place in turn it will stop the itch and kill the buggers. Those are not just bites the darn things burrow under the skin and that is why they itch so bad. One hour of this and then you can go to bed and sleep. In the morning they are forgotten and will be no more problem. This is the best thing I have found. Had them so bad I wanted to take a knife and dig them out. This worked for me.

Do not do a google image search on "chiggers".

(I had no idea they were that small, or that they could do that kind of damage.)

Soak in tub with some Aveeno! Also use OTC hydrocortisone on the areas where the bite are. This helps some, unfortunately as you know its gonna stink for a few days.

That's one things I don't miss about Oklahoma.

it is not summer time untill im pinch rolling a good ich!

Those are not just bites the darn things burrow under the skin and that is why they itch so bad.
Actually they don't burrow. They stay on the surface. What they do is bite a hole in your skin and spew enzymes the insides of a tubular cavity and suck it up which many people mistake for a burrow.

Usually, you've got the chiggers off by the time you start to feel miserable. It's a combination of the enzymes and other inflammation, combined with an allergic response which is why people's home remedies are varied.

you guys are bug racists. Today's proper term is Chigroes. :)

Ron has it right that they don't burrow but rather secrete an enzyme and that's what creates the allergic reaction. That enzyme actually dissolves your skin/tissue and they then ingest it.

The best remedy is prevention. Use bug spray before getting out into brushy areas.

Years ago I took a date camping. We were hiking when she had to pee. She went behind a tree and then used a clump of leaves to wipe.
Worst case of chiggers in the worst place I ever saw.
She never went camping with me again. Actually, she never had anything to do with me ever again. I guess I laughed just a little too hard.

Wear sleeves, long pants and boots. Lift your pant legs up and spray down your boots and ankles with deep woods off. Then spray the pant legs. Do the same for shirt sleeves and hands. Reapply every few hours.

The bite is just an allergic reaction like a mosquito bite so use an antihistamine cream. If that's not enough take a benadryl. It will make you real drowsy but helps big time with the itching.

Chiggers, mosquitoes and ticks suck. I used the aforementioned method and still got some chigger bites a few weeks ago, although just a handful of them. And I was in a pretty infested area of eastern NC swamp and farmland.

If you want to go all-out treat your boots, socks and clothes with this stuff and then use deep woods off on any exposed skin. Permethrin will actually kill any bugs that happen to crawl on your clothes and it lasts several weeks through wash cycles. You have to apply it to clothes several hours before using so it has time to dry.

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-Permethrin-Clothing-Repellent/dp/B007VCRX2S

Last edited:
Years ago I took a date camping. We were hiking when she had to pee. She went behind a tree and then used a clump of leaves to wipe.
Worst case of chiggers in the worst place I ever saw.
She never went camping with me again. Actually, she never had anything to do with me ever again. I guess I laughed just a little too hard.

We have a different problem out West. You've never lived miserably, until you've wiped your ass with poison oak.

We have a different problem out West. You've never lived miserably, until you've wiped your ass with poison oak.

We got that too, along with poison ivy and poison sumac here.

I have never had any of it effect me.

If you want to go all-out treat your boots, socks and clothes with this stuff and then use deep woods off on any exposed skin. Permethrin will actually kill any bugs that happen to crawl on your clothes and it lasts several weeks through wash cycles. You have to apply it to clothes several hours before using so it has time to dry.

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-Permethrin-Clothing-Repellent/dp/B007VCRX2S
+1 for Permethrin as a preventative manner.
Post infestation I have found kerosene works best to take away the itch/pain (just be careful not to use in "sensitive" areas). Put kerosene on a cotton ball and wipe the bites. It'll sting VERY little at first but relief is rapid.

We got that too, along with poison ivy and poison sumac here.
Actually, you don't. You have poison ivy and sumac but not oak. Oak only grows in the western states.

What some people in the midwest and east refer to as poison oak is actually poison ivy. Poison ivy will become more "woody" when it doesn't have a tree to climb and become a bush instead of a vine. But it's all poison ivy.

Man, do I have to take you guys to school on everything in nature? ;)

I have never had any of it effect me.
Some people are lucky. Dad could go out and pull it all day and never have a reaction, then mom would get it from washing his clothes. She was extremely allergic.

Unfortunately I took after mom. What works though is a trick I learned form the conservation department when we used to volunteer for them. And, that's to wash it off in 15 minutes or less. Then I won't get it. 15 to 30 minutes and I'll still get it but less severe. After 30 minutes it's all over but the crying.

So, I set the timer and go pull it along the creek or pond, then jump in and scrub myself off when the timer goes off. I can do this all day and I might wind up getting a little dot here and there but nothing resembling a full blown rash outbreak. No special soaps needed...no soap at all needed actually. I wear only my tevas and river shorts and simply rub everything down with my hands especially the legs, feet and arms.

:thumbsup: for me! (and I'm quite allergic).

Ron has it right that they don't burrow but rather secrete an enzyme and that's what creates the allergic reaction. That enzyme actually dissolves your skin/tissue and they then ingest it.

The best remedy is prevention. Use bug spray before getting out into brushy areas.

Chigga. It's OK for me to call them that, I have one as a friend.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Actually, you don't. You have poison ivy and sumac but not oak. Oak only grows in the western states.

What some people in the midwest and east refer to as poison oak is actually poison ivy. Poison ivy will become more "woody" when it doesn't have a tree to climb and become a bush instead of a vine. But it's all poison ivy.

Man, do I have to take you guys to school on everything in nature? ;)

Some people are lucky. Dad could go out and pull it all day and never have a reaction, then mom would get it from washing his clothes. She was extremely allergic.

Unfortunately I took after mom. What works though is a trick I learned form the conservation department when we used to volunteer for them. And, that's to wash it off in 15 minutes or less. Then I won't get it. 15 to 30 minutes and I'll still get it but less severe. After 30 minutes it's all over but the crying.

So, I set the timer and go pull it along the creek or pond, then jump in and scrub myself off when the timer goes off. I can do this all day and I might wind up getting a little dot here and there but nothing resembling a full blown rash outbreak. No special soaps needed...no soap at all needed actually. I wear only my tevas and river shorts and simply rub everything down with my hands especially the legs, feet and arms.

:thumbsup: for me! (and I'm quite allergic).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicodendron_pubescens

I'll be getting my ankle biter scars, too, once it starts getting hot and dry.

I'd rather deal with chiggers than ticks, though. Those things just creep me out.

I'd rather deal with chiggers than ticks, though. Those things just creep me out.
I'm just the opposite figuring a tick is easier to see and remove. Those damn chiggers on the other hand...

I'm just the opposite figuring a tick is easier to see and remove. Those damn chiggers on the other hand...

Agreed. Chiggers are creepier because you cant see them. But they don't carry diseases like ticks do. Or mosquitoes.

When I was growing up I remember my mom being worried about using anything with DEET. I mean I wouldn't spray it in an infant's eyes but using some effective bug repellent cannot be worse than getting some of the nasty viruses and diseases that ticks and skeeters can give you. :yikes:

Last edited:
well, lookie there, the SE states have a plant I wasn't aware of! Keep me away from it and thank God it's not in the midwest.

When we start dragging gliders around in the grass in the summer, that Deep Woods Off and SPF 11ty billion sunblock go right along with the bucket hat.

You are SO behind the times :rolleyes2:. The proper current preferred term is "Chiggro-Americans". What else would you like to know?

Lots of ticks in Wisconsin. They creep
me out as well. Remember that they crawl "up" to warm, hidden places. The naked "tick check" routine that my wife and I do after working out in the prairie is not as sexy as you may think. ;)

Back