Chicago Sandwich Shop

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Hey all you Chicago area folks. Whats with Jimmy Johns? They are about to open across from my office and they advertise they have these famous Chicago sandwiches. Is it all that? Or just another ho hum chain?

Jimmy John's is a sandwich to be had after a night of drinking.... So I've been told.

They've been around here for a while. Nothing to get excited about. Better than Subway, but that ain't sayin' much.

There's a few in Lincoln, NE. We got Jimmy Johns for a lunch meeting a couple of months back. It was really nothing special.

I would not really call Jimmy Johns a Chicago sandwich shop. They are a typical sub shop. The bread is way better than Subway and the sandwiches kick Quizno's butt. But there is nothing all that special about it. Good sandwiches but not great. For great I go to A.S.S. which is somewhat local. Algonquin Sub Shop (A.S.S.) has really good stuff but they are not a chain.

A little tid bit about JJs. Jimmy is a local hero in my town of CAry, IL. This is where he is from and his story is interesting. As it has been reported in the papers here Jimmy was told by his dad, when he graduated HS that he needed to get a job, go to college, or joint the military, but sitting around was not a choice. So off to school he went. But he got bored and dropped out. He did not come home and instead looked for work. Eventually he got into doing a little catering and his folks bought him a meat slicer. He started doing subs and his business took off into what it is today. He has a nice jet that he keep down in Champaign. I parked next to it in his hangar a few Christmases ago when I was flying home from Florida.

i ate jimmy johns a lot when i was in college. the italian night club is very tasty. i love it.

Hey all you Chicago area folks. Whats with Jimmy Johns? They are about to open across from my office and they advertise they have these famous Chicago sandwiches. Is it all that? Or just another ho hum chain?

Jimmy John's is a "famous Chicago sandwich shop" like Uno's is "THE Chicago Pizza place," i.e. not really.

JJ has only been around for a handful of years and at that only in the far 'burbs.

Chicago should sue for trademark infringement.

Still, the sub sandwiches are better than most.

Hero's is the best but they don't have franchises:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/heros-submarine-sandwich-shop-chicago
That's one that was around when I was a pre-teen. My high scholl is across the street.

They have the best bread of any sub shop. I like the #1 (Pepe).

Where they get the Chicago-style bit I haven't a clue. But they are decent sandwiches.

Jimmy John's is a "famous Chicago sandwich shop" like Uno's is "THE Chicago Pizza place," i.e. not really.

JJ has only been around for a handful of years and at that only in the far 'burbs.

Chicago should sue for trademark infringement.

Still, the sub sandwiches are better than most.

Agreed. I grew up in Chicago and didn't know there was a famous Chicago sandwich. Who knew?

Their thing is to make it FAST, and they pull that off with a lot of kids behind the counter. I have one a block from my office and will go there if I'm in a hurry.

However, a MUCH better sandwich shop opened up near my office - Capriotti's. I think it originated in Delaware or elsewhere on the East coast. http://www.capriottis.com/ Not fast, but REALLY good.

Agreed. I grew up in Chicago and didn't know there was a famous Chicago sandwich. Who knew?

Their thing is to make it FAST, and they pull that off with a lot of kids behind the counter. I have one a block from my office and will go there if I'm in a hurry.

The other thing with Jimmy John's is delivery. My neighbor loves having the shop about 4 miles away deliver lunch for him and his crew about every other day...and then calling to make the guy come back because they forgot the hot peppers.

Last edited:
I guess the one good quality about them is that they're very fast. My sandwich orders are usually completed within 1 minute (from order to pay).

I like Jimmy John's subs, and prefer them over Subway or Quiznos. They are amazingly fast. Walk in, order to go, and most times you are back out the door in 1-2 minutes.

To keep this aviation related... I've parked next to JJ's Lear. N15UB. Clever tail #, I thought.

Jimmy Johns was running some very annoying ads, I can't remember if they were internet or tv ads, but very very annoying. I didn't know WTF Jimmy Johns was and I sure as Hades wasn't going to try to find out.

Jimmy Johns - food so fast, you'll freak.

Decent sandwiches, especially for the price - MUCH MUCH better than Subway could ever hope to be.

Jimmy Johns - food so fast, you'll freak.

Decent sandwiches, especially for the price - MUCH MUCH better than Subway could ever hope to be.

AND BEST OF ALL! You don't have to stand there and answer eleventy-seven questions about what you want on the sandwich!

What kind of bread?
Which veggies?
Mustard and mayo?
You want oil?

I've had some bad experiences at Quizos. From my first visit ever at a Quizno's with the punk who was the only other person at that address who stared at me for 3 minutes and said, "You want a sandwich? You're standing at the wrong window."

The local Quizno's was so lousy it just closed.

Last edited:
Back