Chicago - KPWK??

jsbougher

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
LafBizGuy
Anyone have suggestions for long stay in Chicago near ORD other than KPWK? I'm considering GA into Chicago to catch int'l flight out of ORD. I'd be leaving the plane there for 11 days before my return. I have the option to just drive to ORD, but I'll be flying through Chicago the day before my int'l trip so I can shave out a long drive from Indiana to ORD. I figure I'll be paying close to $100 to park the car + $125 in milage / tolls ... can I tie down in PWK or somewhere near enough to shuttle to ORD for something close to that? Any thoughts?

PS - I'll have a night layover in Chicago before catching flight home. Would do same if I drive to avoid 3 hours driving after 12 hr flight + 12 hr time difference.

There are only two places for GA in Chicago and that is KORD and KMDW. If you want to stay out in the suburbs and then commute in there are lots of places. Many better than KPWK. From what direction will you be flying and in what equipment? Do you require hangar or will tie down suffice?

No, you forget about Schaumburg. Very genteel ramp fees, just take a 6 mile cab ride on American Taxi (call, they have a prix fixe rate, I think $30) . although no approache,s IFR with 1000 foot ceilings, you can go into DPA ILS1 and break off, then svfr to Schaumburg 0C6. Make sure the DPA controller knows the story- thsi is routine.

I don't have a answer to your question (we have resident Chicago experts for that), except to say that PWK is a fairly large GA airport. I would be surprised if you didn't have to pay $10 a day for parking.

That aside, there's really no good way to get from PWK to anywhere without a car. With a car, it probably still takes close to an hour to get to ORD. There's some busses and such, but I bet then you're looking at much more than an hour.

Maybe you can take SuperShuttle and have them pick you up at PWK? Never done that....Parking at ORD isn't that expensive IIRC if you go to the out-of-the-way long term parking lots and take the airport bus and train....

Edit: Bruce is right about Schaumburg....probably the easiest and cheapest.....

Last edited:
No, you forget about Schaumburg. Very genteel ramp fees, just take a 6 mile cab ride on American Taxi (call, they have a prix fixe rate, I think $30) . although no approache,s IFR with 1000 foot ceilings, you can go into DPA ILS1 and break off, then svfr to Schaumburg 0C6. Make sure the DPA controller knows the story- thsi is routine.

Schaumburg (06C) is very GA friendly, just as close to ORD as PWK (closer timewise) and even has an on airport restaurant but the lack of an IFR approach can be an issue for getting in. There's also a fairly restrictive noise abatement procedure IIRC so you'd be well advised to bone up on that. Seems to me it's also kinda one way in and opposite way out due to the proximity to ORD. Another choice would be Dupage (DPA). It's a bit further from ORD than 06C but has all sorts of approaches and reasonable fees. I think you could probably get the FBO to drop you off at a train terminal but I don't know if there's an easy train route to ORD without going downtown (I've only gone downtown from DPA, never to ORD). I think the last time I parked at PWK they charged me $30/night but the rates are probably less for singles and they might cut a deal for an extended stay.

I think I'll just land my Chief in commissar Daley's back yard.:D

06C good GA airport as has been stated. To the south a good choice in Clow in Bollingbrook to the west KDPA, NW 3CK. All are GA friendly will have tie downs and can arrange transport via American Taxi or limo ride. A typical limo ride is around $50 from those areas. 3CK also is not far from the Metra NW line. That commuter rail system can get you to downtown Chicago and the blue line of the CTA at Jefferson Park. I sometime take the Metra to Jefferson Park and then backtrack on the blue line to KORD.

Schaumberg is excellent for GA. Agree as to the lack of an IFR approach, but the FBO is very friendly and helpful. I've used it, and find it convenient to ORD and the City. Decent restaurant onsite also.

I'm late to the thread because I've been spending the day at the 11th Annual Clow Cavalcade of Planes. Obviously, I'm biased towards Bolingbrooks' Clow! :) Ramp space is $3 overnight, and it has a GPS and a VOR approach. Depending on when you get in, we may even be able to give you a ride over to ORD. Since we're on the southwest side, it's a little closer to Indiana than Palwaukee is (unless you do the lakefront route).

Schaumburg (06C) is very GA friendly, ... Seems to me it's also kinda one way in and opposite way out due to the proximity to ORD. ...

Nah. They takeoff and land with the wind. You just have to be sure not to wander too far east either way and stay under 1900 feet. The noise abatement is due to exactly one guy who bought his house in Roselle to the east while the airport was there. You follow the RR tracks on the south and the road on the north to avoid his house.

There's also a big water tower at the base to final turn.

I'm not sure that picking out Schaumburg amongst the background of highways and parkinglots in SVFR is something I would embark on if I haven't done it once or twice in good weather before.

I'm not sure that picking out Schaumburg amongst the background of highways and parkinglots in SVFR is something I would embark on if I haven't done it once or twice in good weather before.
It is the only big piece of property without a house or business on it! :D

It is the only big piece of property without a house or business on it! :D
No, that describes Clow, too! Of course Clow has instrument procedures! (And, to be fair, Lewis is only 5Nm from Clow, and has 2 5000'+ runways.) Actually, Lewis wouldn't be a bad alternative at all. I don't know their overnight fees, but you might even convince them to run you over to the train station in Lockport, which will take you downtown. Well, in the morning on weekdays, 3 times. And then back in the evening on weekdays. Again, only three runs. :)

Back