Chicago FLYWAY

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
Has anyone been to Chicago lately and used the shoreline Flyway?

I am planning on flying into Midway on Saturday but have never flew the Flyway up the coast.

My question is.. how "nice"are the approach controllers mid-day on Saturday?

I will be flying from the SE and want to do the Flyway and then circle back for a VFR approach into Midway.. Anyone ever mix the two?

I was just going to tell them what I wanted to do which I am sure is ok but just wanted to hear everyone's opinions.. I can't wait to see Chi Town from the air ! (well I have before but no from my plane!) :goofy:

You don't need to talk to anybody to go up the flyway. Sometimes C90 will work you, sometimes not. Doesn't hurt to ask. If you want to go into MDW I'd make sure I avoided the push times (I think they have an arrival push around noon and departure around 1:30.

I was just planning to be on Flight following from Connersville and keep Flight Following along the Fly Way is the only reason I was asking.. that way they can expect me as I make my 180 over the lake :)

I did the shoreline route from KEYE up to KPWK in July, 2014. The controllers were fine and very helpful. No major problem getting flight following. But Grissom Approach won't be able to hand you off. So you will have to break in on Chicago Approach's frequency cold. It took me several times to raise them going north. No problem getting them going south. There has been a change in attitude. Chicago's approach controllers have figured out its better to be talking to you when you around them than just ignore you.

IIRC, You'll start with Midway approach coming from the south, and they're pretty good and friendly. Be aware that you'll want to be pretty low along the shore because there's a relatively new RNAV Z approach to MDW 22L that has the 737s at 2400 over the shore.

Coming in from the South East I usually get a handoff from ZAU to C90 no problem most of the time.

I do what you describe at least once a month with a student. This is my night cross country training route from Lafayette (LAF). We usually end up at DuPage (DPA) rather than Chicago Midway (MDW), but you can mix and match as you want.

Call Chicago Approach on 128.2 as published. They'll work you so long as you're concise on the radio. Make a cold call first. If they are too busy, they will not respond. If they respond, reply back with position, altitude, type, and destination "via the flyway" in that order. They'll hand you off to 3-4 different frequencies on your way around the flyway. The reception gets bad near the skyscrapers in most airplanes.

Have fun! It's a beautiful route.

Midway controllers are good to work with. Last year I picked them up VFR from the SE like you and requested a scenic flight up the shoreline.

So they kept me on frequency and had me report my inbound turn when head back south to land with them (think it was navy pier). Then they had me report when I was along the lake shore east of the airport. Then it was vectors SW and north over the airport for a circling pattern to land.

I got the feeling this was not their first handling of someone wanting to sight see before landing..;)

Awesome! Thanks for the replies..

It's good to know they are nice to work with.. I have had my share of grumpy controllers and just wanted to be prepared the first time into Midway!

Should be a blast downtown Chicago this weekend !

Back