Chicago Executive Airport (and plane down near PWK)

EHITCH

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Elizabeth
I could swear we used to have an executive airport in Chicago ... near some water I think it was ..... read all the way to the bottom .........

Small plane crashes near Palwaukee Airport

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]September 17, 2006

SUN-TIMES STAFF REPORT

A single-engine plane crashed this morning near Palwaukee Municipal Airport in the northwest suburbs, possibly during a flight lesson.
According to initial reports, there were no serious injuries, although the aircraft ended up in a residential area.
“There is a plane down on Wheeling Road, . . . just off the road,” said a Prospect Heights police official. “No homes, maybe some trees” were clipped. “I believe there were no injuries,” the official said.
A spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration, Elizabeth Isham Cory, said there were two people on board the Piper aircraft, and both refused hospital treatment. “We understand there were no ground injuries,” she added.
The aircraft, according to FAA records, is registered to a Des Plaines address. It apparently was built in 1973, and is described as a single-engine fixed-wing Piper PA-28-140.
The plane that crashed might have been giving a flight lesson at the time, with an instructor and student pilot on board, according to a man identifying himself as the plane's owner.
"I really don't know what happened," he said. But, "I'm sure [the pilot] did a very good job, he put it in a safe place, . . . that was the only safe place, no house, . . . he avoided the houses."
"It was a very good plane, there were no problems" of any note with it previously, he added.
The pilot had been cleared to take off from Palwaukee under visual flight rules — which means the pilot was to depart by sight, not relying on instruments — and did not, and did not have to, file a flight plan outlining the destination, Cory said.
The accident happened after departure, although why it occurred was not immediately clear. It’s “too early to say,” Cory said, adding the National Transportation Safety Board might be called in to help determine the cause. The FAA was notified of the accident around 10:10 a.m. today, Cory said.
It’s been a rough year at the airport, which is run by the towns of Prospect Heights and Wheeling.
Four Chicago-area executives were killed Jan. 30 when their twin-engine Cessna 421B nose-dived into an industrial storage yard in Wheeling, about half a mile from Palwaukee. The plane was on a return trip to Palwaukee from Kansas. It exploded on impact.

The airport is changing its name to the Chicago Executive Airport next month to better reflect its growth and regional stature.
[/FONT]

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the call, "Chicago Executive tower, this is 5232K, 10 northeast with Lima ........."

A bit OT, but that was probably the best piece of aviation reporting I have seen from the general media.

wesleyj said:
I might be remembering wrong, but I think it was Howell Executive airport
I think Howell was in Cicero. Howell sold the land and it became Sportsman Park, or it became a shopping center nearby.

Last edited:
Henning said:
A bit OT, but that was probably the best piece of aviation reporting I have seen from the general media.
I agree. Especially noting that a flight plan was not required! BTW, here's a better link for the actual aritcle: http://www.sun-times.com/output/news/cst-nws-plane17.html. I wonder if the clarity was due, in part at least, to Elizabeth Cory of the FAA? Many of the clarifying statements were attibuted to her.

Howell Field was ON Cicero Ave. and Rt. 83, about 130th st. South.

It is now a huge strip mall.

Willie Howell wasn't dead long when his son's sold it. Their other airport is/was in New Lenox and I've been told, recently closed as well.

Back