Chicago area rentals

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
I flight instructor friend posted this and asked if anyone on here could be of assistance. Wow, I sure goofed on spelling Chicago. Can anyone correct the title here?

Best,

Dave
=====================================

I have a student who will be taking his private pilot checkride on July 1st then immediately moving to Chicago. I'd like to get some information on what's available for rent in the Chicago area. He says that he'll be in the Naperville/Bolingsbrook area. Are their any good schools or flying clubs that I can refer him to?

Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Grant tells you about Clow in 3,2,1....

Last edited by a moderator:
Grant tells you about Clow in 3,2,1....
Grant should tell you about Clow, it is a good place near where this person is going to be. ApacheBob may have some info about Aurora, which is not too far away. If the guy wants to drive I can brief about 3CK.

Kinda depends on where he lives in the Greater Chicago Metroplex. I used to fly out of Waukegan with Stick and Rudder flying club, and out of Westosha (5k6) with the Wilmot flying club. The Wilmot club has very good rates if you live in the northern burbs.

Kinda depends on where he lives in the Greater Chicago Metroplex. I used to fly out of Waukegan with Stick and Rudder flying club, and out of Westosha (5k6) with the Wilmot flying club. The Wilmot club has very good rates if you live in the northern burbs.

Pete: this was in my first post:Naperville/Bolingsbrook area.

Does that help?

Dave

Damn I guess I can't read :)

The places I mentioned would be way out of the way. Clow would be pretty convenient to Naperville/Bolingbrook.

Clow is pretty good, but, if you want a REAL airport:)smilewinkgrin:) tell him to check out KDPA!

So can y'all give those of us unfamiliar some perspective.

What's closest to where he's moving.
Rentals or flying club. Pros and cons?

This go to a REAL field stuff isn't much help for an out-of-towner trying to figure out what reasonable alternatives are.

Best,

Dave

This go to a REAL field stuff isn't much help for an out-of-towner trying to figure out what reasonable alternatives are.

Best,

Dave
I flew out of PWK with Windy City Flyers while I was in Chicago. That's about 50 minutes from where he'll be based, though.

Liked them - decent selection of airplanes (usual 172 and such, + a Bonanza and a Baron), good instructors, PWK is fun, too.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. As others have said, Clow is probably the best for him based on 1) proximity and 2) variety. To give you a hint on where it is located, the official name is Bolingbrook's Clow International Airport. The FBO there, where Leslie and I both got our certificates, has planes available ranging from a Champ to a 210 Turbo Centurion. Easiest way to convey the information is to provide the website address: www.aandmaviation.com. Full disclosure: I'm the "webmaster" there for lack of a better term. Now, if he wants to get into warbirds or aerobatics, there's a place at Aurora. At DuPage there is the Illinois Aviation Academy that has a decent fleet, including some Cirri. Bot both of those are about 45 minutes from Bolingbrook by car (or about 10 minutes by plane).

Last edited:
To give you a hint on where it is located, the official name is Bolingbrook's Clow International Airport.

Thanks Grant. That was apparent, but the location of the other airports mentioned wasn't. I'll pass this along. Very helpful. I already pointed out the page on AIRNAV. It didn't mention the rentals from what I saw. Isn't there a flying club around there also?

Best,

Dave

Or another GREAT option I just found is Chicagoland Aviation at Lewis University Airport in Romeoville, which is a little south of Bolingbrook. They have rental aircraft, flight instruction, a flying club, weather, and multiple runways. Check them out at www.flylot.com, which is the website for Lewis (KLOT) or Chicagoland Aviation directly at www.chicagolandaviation.com.

Grant didn't mention that when you hang out at Clow you can walk next door to the Home Depot and the Best Buy....once you figure out which patch of ashphalt is the runway.

Grant didn't mention that when you hang out at Clow you can walk next door to the Home Depot and the Best Buy....once you figure out which patch of ashphalt is the runway.
You know what else Grant forgot to mention?

The best part of any visit to Clow, Jet and Turbo!!

I took a nap in the FBO office once while waiting to pick up pax. I awoke to find Turbo all curled up in my lap.

Best,

Dave

Sorry Dave, not knowing exactly where he would be living I thought he could simply go to Mapquest or similar site and get real times and distances (at least that's better than saying I'm not quite sure where Bollingbrook is??:D)

Sorry Barry! That's what happens when I get in the middle. Was just trying to get someone unfamiliar with the area some insight and trying to run several businesses in between. A map can, of course, give insight. But, there's nothing as good as some local knowledge. The shortest route isn't always the best; because something else is close, doesn't mean it's good, etc. Appreciate the insight and have passed it all along.

Best,

Dave

I also failed to mention that Lake in the Hills Airport (Lake in the Hills, IL) was awarded “Reliever of the Year” by the IL Dept of Transportation Division of Aeronautics and Charlie’s Restaurant (located at Bolingbrook’s Clow International Airport) was awarded the “Five Prop - On-Airport Restaurant of the Year.”

A & M (the FBO at Clow) is structured as a non-equity club or an FBO-model club, depending on your terminology. There's a membership fee of about $400 (largely refundable) and a monthly fee that varies between $25 and $35 depending on the rating and type of aircraft flown. You can also rent from them without joining the club at a higher hourly rate. There are monthly flyouts for dinner, as well as overnight trips. We've done those overnight trips to Mackinac Island (about every year), the Bahamas (twice), and Custer/Yellowstone/Glacier National(MT).

I had heard that Chicagoland Aviation had opened their doors recently at Lewis (Romeoville), but I have no experience with the operation. It looks like they have a very similar non-equity club model, but a significantly smaller fleet with only two aircraft, a 152 and a 172. They are on an airport with a university flight training school, which has both pros (e.g. larger runways, beter approaches) and cons (e.g. an awful lot of planes in the pattern). Lewis is about five miles south of Bolingbrook, so about 10 to 15 minutes. Naperville is to the North of Bolingbrook, so will be even further. Lewis would still be closer than DuPage, though.

They are on an airport with a university flight training school, which has both pros (e.g. larger runways, beter approaches) and cons (e.g. an awful lot of planes in the pattern).
Also a lot of planes on the taxiways during the school year. I have often been stuck behind 5-10 planes all awaiting take off as CFI were briefing the student at the hold short line. If it gets too crazy I have asked if I could cut ahead as I am ready to go. The CFI there are courteous and do understand, often letting others go while they do their briefings.

Or another GREAT option I just found is Chicagoland Aviation at Lewis University Airport in Romeoville, which is a little south of Bolingbrook. They have rental aircraft, flight instruction, a flying club, weather, and multiple runways. Check them out at www.flylot.com, which is the website for Lewis (KLOT) or Chicagoland Aviation directly at www.chicagolandaviation.com.
BB,
You've posted disparaging comments about Clow before without attributing a source, and now you're pimping this new FBO without stating your relationship or giving a source for your knowledge/opinion. Why are they a "GREAT option"? How do you know? What is your relationship with them? They're actually closer to my house than Clow is, so I'm certainly interested, though their small and limited fleet is a major downside for me and will probably preclude me looking at them too seriously right now for my flights, since I really like the carrying capacity of the 182 and 210. Of course, that may not be an issue for Dave's friend's student.

BB,
You've posted disparaging comments about Clow before without attributing a source, and now you're pimping this new FBO without stating your relationship or giving a source for your knowledge/opinion. Why are they a "GREAT option"? How do you know? What is your relationship with them? They're actually closer to my house than Clow is, so I'm certainly interested, though their small and limited fleet is a major downside for me and will probably preclude me looking at them too seriously right now for my flights, since I really like the carrying capacity of the 182 and 210. Of course, that may not be an issue for Dave's friend's student.

Grant -

I wasn't speaking to YOU, I was responding to Dave's request for plane rental and flying club information in/around Bolingbrook-Naperville area, for which Romeoville would be in close proximity to that area. I recently discovered Chicagoland Aviation via AOPA's airport directory, as I was looking for a rental myself. Previously, I flew out of Lansing and didn't care much for the distance from where I live. In addition to rentals, flying club, and multiple runways, Chicagoland Aviation also offers online scheduling for aircraft, something that not many FBO's/flight schools offer, and that is something I really like. When I went there recently for a flight review, the managers were very helpful and accomodating, and I thought I'd relay my experience to help Dave's friend.
I understand your preference for a 182 or 210, however, MY preference is a 172, which Chicagoland Aviation offers. When I questioned them about their limited fleet, they told me about their aggressive growth plan for procuring more airplanes, including multi-engine.
Additionally, I never posted "disparaging comments" about Clow, I was only offering information that I had heard in passing.

Grant -

I wasn't speaking to YOU, I was responding to Dave's request for plane rental and flying club information in/around Bolingbrook-Naperville area, for which Romeoville would be in close proximity to that area.
I understand and appreciate that. As I noted in my post, my requirements are likely different from Dave's friend's student's requirements, and I tried to differentiate the two, while still providing good information that may be useful to others.
I recently discovered Chicagoland Aviation via AOPA's airport directory, as I was looking for a rental myself. Previously, I flew out of Lansing and didn't care much for the distance from where I live. In addition to rentals, flying club, and multiple runways, Chicagoland Aviation also offers online scheduling for aircraft, something that not many FBO's/flight schools offer, and that is something I really like. When I went there recently for a flight review, the managers were very helpful and accomodating, and I thought I'd relay my experience to help Dave's friend.
Ah, that's more helpful and a little more creditable, IMHO. Instead of just saying it's a GREAT option you give reasons why you think that. Thanks! Personally, I wish that A & M would offer online scheduling too, because I think it is nice to be able to see availability and schedule 24x7. OTOH, it can actually restrict availability and cut down on the usage of the aircraft. If I want to take a plane for 3 or 4 days the person at the desk can shift people in planes to free up a single plane for that length of time, which cannot be done readily with an online scheduler. So I understand their reasons for opting not to do it.
I understand your preference for a 182 or 210, however, MY preference is a 172, which Chicagoland Aviation offers. When I questioned them about their limited fleet, they told me about their aggressive growth plan for procuring more airplanes, including multi-engine.
Additionally, I never posted "disparaging comments" about Clow, I was only offering information that I had heard in passing.
Well, we apparently disagree about the definition of "disparaging." That said, as you say here, you heard the information in passing, and didn't quote a source even when asked to do so, so it's very difficult to evaluate the credibility of the information. Hearsay from someone who doesn't even provide their real name and has made very few posts is pretty close to as uncreditable as it gets.

I also failed to mention that Lake in the Hills Airport (Lake in the Hills, IL) was awarded “Reliever of the Year” by the IL Dept of Transportation Division of Aeronautics.
LITH aka 3CK is a nice airport. Blue Skies Aviation is the flight school there. It is a bit of a haul from Naperville. I live not too far from it, but my plane is at another nearby airport, primarily due to hangar rent. But Blue Skies is a fine operation. I have taken flight training from them in the past and I know a few of their current crop of instructors. They use mostly Warriors but also have a 172 and I think an Arrow. They have a mix of traditional and glass avionics. Good pilot shop too.

OTOH, it can actually restrict availability and cut down on the usage of the aircraft.
I think that's mostly an old wives tail. Every rental operation I've talked to has said their airplane utilization increased after going to online scheduling.

I understand and appreciate that. As I noted in my post, my requirements are likely different from Dave's friend's student's requirements, and I tried to differentiate the two, while still providing good information that may be useful to others.

Thank you for clearing that up. I was wondering though, why you took it upon yourself to grill me about a recommendation for a flight school I recently came across and had a good experience with? I was not responding to your recommendation, and I was not stating that Clow was not a good option either. I didn’t see you questioning other responses listing KDPA or PWK as possibilities for a flight school / flying club? Am I missing something as to why you appear so hostile towards KLOT and/or Chicagoland Aviation? Did you have a bad experience there? If so, please share it so I have that information. I was only responding to the question asked – what is a good flight school / flying club close to the Bolingbrook-Naperville area, and I thought by listing the websites for someone to reference if they wanted more info was sufficient so that person can make their own decision.

Well, we apparently disagree about the definition of "disparaging." That said, as you say here, you heard the information in passing, and didn't quote a source even when asked to do so, so it's very difficult to evaluate the credibility of the information. Hearsay from someone who doesn't even provide their real name and has made very few posts is pretty close to as uncreditable as it gets.

This was not your thread or your question, and I was not responding to your thought or recommendation, I was simply offering an option around the Bolingbrook-Naperville area. I don’t spend much time commenting on these boards, I usually like to lurk around here and the red board to check out what’s new or interesting, so your opinion of how many posts I do or don’t make is irrelevant, as I was just trying to offer a suggestion. I don't mean to be offensive to anyone and was just trying to help and I feel as if I was singled out to defend my suggestion.

Thank you for clearing that up. I was wondering though, why you took it upon yourself to grill me about a recommendation for a flight school I recently came across and had a good experience with? I was not responding to your recommendation, and I was not stating that Clow was not a good option either. I didn’t see you questioning other responses listing KDPA or PWK as possibilities for a flight school / flying club? Am I missing something as to why you appear so hostile towards KLOT and/or Chicagoland Aviation? Did you have a bad experience there? If so, please share it so I have that information. I was only responding to the question asked – what is a good flight school / flying club close to the Bolingbrook-Naperville area, and I thought by listing the websites for someone to reference if they wanted more info was sufficient so that person can make their own decision.
Hostile to KLOT or ChicagoLand Aviation?:dunno: Where on earth did you get that idea? I've never been in ChicagoLand Aviation, and they didn't even exist when Leslie and I started flight training. When we started, we looked at KLOT first, because of its proximity to us, but were told that the only flight instruction on the field was through the University. As you know, that has changed. I believe that I know the owners of CA and have gone on trips with them through A & M Aviation flying club, but haven't talked with them since before they started the company.

This was not your thread or your question, and I was not responding to your thought or recommendation, I was simply offering an option around the Bolingbrook-Naperville area. I don’t spend much time commenting on these boards, I usually like to lurk around here and the red board to check out what’s new or interesting, so your opinion of how many posts I do or don’t make is irrelevant, as I was just trying to offer a suggestion. I don't mean to be offensive to anyone and was just trying to help and I feel as if I was singled out to defend my suggestion.
Sorry, but if you lurk here then you know that give and take, as well as thread creep, is de rigueur. Look back at your previous posts, specifically in August, 2009 and you should understand why I singled your post out. Those post are an excellent example of being hostile towards an airport. I'm the AOPA Airport Support Network volunteer for Clow, so am sensitive to that.

Back