Chicago Area: DuPage (KDPA) or Clow (1C5)?

mmthomas

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Thomas
I am flying to the Chicago area this weekend, and Dupage and Clow International are equally convenient to my ultimate destination. Anyone familiar with the two airports have a recommendation? Thanks!

mmthomas said:
I am flying to the Chicago area this weekend, and Dupage and Clow International are equally convenient to my ultimate destination. Anyone familiar with the two airports have a recommendation? Thanks!

I've been to DuPage a few times in the last couple years and was treated well enough. Never been to 1C5 AFaIK. DPA has been rebuilding the whole airport over the last year or two and it's pretty nice with lots of long runways and instrument approaches galore.

Clow is one runway, non-towered, more laid back and less busy.

DPA is a multi runway (4), towered, busy (weekdays corporate - weekends training), and more professional but usually VERY accomodating on preferred runways/approaches. It's my home field. Gas is usually more expensive than other locations but they do have a self serve pump on the north ramp.

Any specific questions email me.

1C5 is my home base. As Barry said, it's one runway (about 3600'), non-towered, and pretty laid back. Around the even hours, however, it gets pretty busy with students. They don't have cars available, but can make arrangements with Enterprise if you need. Fuel is not self service. I like the place, but then I'm treated like family!

I've generally found the controllers at Aurora (ARR) to be much friendlier than those at DPA, but, as usual, YMMV.

Back