Cherokee Hot Start - Part Deux

drhunt

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Moose Air
Henning said:
Oh, BTW, for a carb engine in your Cherokee, Don't prime, mix rich, throttle closed, start cranking, go to full throttle in a space of 1 second and come back to 1/3 or idle as the engine catches. Never pump the throttle on a non turning, downdraft carbed engine. The fuel from the accellerator pump (if so equipped) will just run down in the airbox. Pretty much a fire hazard. BTW, if you have a "fwooop" and a fire, full throttle, mix almost off and keep cranking. Safest thing for them flames is to be sucked through the engine where they belong.

Tried this procedure threes times yesterday in my Archer and each time the engine started after 2-3 turns. Thanks Henning!

drhunt said:
Tried this procedure threes times yesterday in my Archer and each time the engine started after 2-3 turns. Thanks Henning!

Glad to help. When you give an engine what it needs, it runs.

As important as giving the engine what it needs is for the pilot to understand the fuel system. That includes the hows and whys of the delivery mechanisms. A hot start of a NA carburated engine should not be a problem.

It is not my intent to ridicule anyone, but such a simple system should not be a problem to the proficient pilot.

Last edited:
Richard,

To be sure, the procedure that Henning suggested and I used successfully multiple times is NOT the POH procedure which I've tried dozens of times with great difficulty. It is not the "other" procedure that I received from a call to a Piper dealer and it is not the same as several other suggestions posted on this board. Maybe there are different views of "simple" and "proficient"? I'm just appreciative that I now have something workable and again, thanks to Hennig's earlier input, I have a better technical insights to the "simple" system.;)

Back