Cherokee 180 (or Archer) Questions

twiggles

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
Hello,

I have two questions about the Piper Cherokee 180 for you guys who are familiar...I'm interested in hearing opinions on these two topics as I am getting differing opinions from friends.

1. Do you disable electric trim before you use the trim wheel?

2. When starting, do you start on battery only, or do you use battery and alt.?

Thanks!

1. No

2. Depends on the year. Early Cherokee 180s don't have an alternator "switch." just a fuse. Even if you have a split switch, it doesn't matter if you start with the ALT on or off.

I don't think it makes a huge diffrence, but I always start with the alt off when that option is avalible.

No.

I do what the manual for that model says.

The manual just says "turn master switch on" I take this to mean batt and alt, but this is where the interpretation comes into play...

Neither one of those has any effect. Do what makes you happy.

The only reason you might need to turn off electric trim is when it runs away.

Not all cherokee 180 have the ALT switch, just the battery.

Hello,

I have two questions about the Piper Cherokee 180 for you guys who are familiar...I'm interested in hearing opinions on these two topics as I am getting differing opinions from friends.

1. Do you disable electric trim before you use the trim wheel?

The trim servo has an electric clutch which engages when the electric trim is selected. You can hear the clutch engage when the electric trim is operated when the engine is not running. If you are moving the manual trim wheel when the electric trim is engaged you will feel the clutch engage.

Long story made short, the electric trim is disengaged when the trim switch is not activated by the pilot. Manual trim requires no other action than not selecting electric trim. (guess that's a double negative)

The manual just says "turn master switch on" I take this to mean batt and alt, but this is where the interpretation comes into play...
I suspect that the models whose manuals say this have only one switch, not the split rocker of the later models, so there's no choice to make.

I suspect that the models whose manuals say this have only one switch, not the split rocker of the later models, so there's no choice to make.

Not the case, the manual (issued July 6,1973 pa28-140) I looked at advised turning the Alternator switch off to reset the alternator in case of the alternator not charging.

ALTERNATOR FAILURE
Loss of alternator output is detected through a zero reading on the ammeter. Before
executing the following procedure, insure that the reading is zero and not merely low by
actuating an electrically powered device, such as the landing light. If no increase in the ammeter
reading is noted, alternator failure can be assumed.
1. Reduce Electrical Load.
2. Alternator Circuit BreakersCheck
3. '"Alt" Swilch. Off (for I second), then On

I suspect that since it is part of the Master Switch i.e. the Split switch they assume when they tell you to turn on the master they expect you to turn on the Alternator as well, unless told otherwise. But this is just an assumption on my part.

Brian

Early Cherokees.....like my "C", have no alternator switch. Only a master switch.

Later Cherokees like the PA28-180E have a split BAT/ALT switch'

From the "E" manual:

"""""The words "master switch" used hereafter in this manual indicate both sides of the switch, battery side "BAT" and alternator side "ALT" are to be depressed simultaneously to Off or On as directed.""""""

It is not rocket surgery......just follow the checklist for your particular airplane.

Early Cherokees.....like my "C", have no alternator switch. Only a master switch.

Later Cherokees like the PA28-180E have a split BAT/ALT switch'

From the "E" manual:

"""""The words "master switch" used hereafter in this manual indicate both sides of the switch, battery side "BAT" and alternator side "ALT" are to be depressed simultaneously to Off or On as directed.""""""

It is not rocket surgery......just follow the checklist for your particular airplane.
Thanks for doing the research. Like I said -- read the book for your airplane, follow the book for your airplane.

From the "E" manual:

Thanks for pointing that out. I must have missed it when reading through the manual.

Back