Cherokee 180 equivalent E-AB planes?

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
Are there any E-AB planes out there that are similar to the Cherokee for under $50k? ~1000lb load, "4" seats, low wing, easy to learn in. I have a friend looking to buy something to get his cert. in and can't think of anything in that fell into this category.

Why the experimental? You can easily get a Cherokee 180 for less than that.

He seems to REALLY want a post '73 model/Warrior/Archer and they seem to all be going for $45-$50k. I was just wondering if there was anything in the EXP world. Help cut down on operating costs. Plus it'd be nice to have a 200hp "Cherokee" :).

I seem to recall an experimental that was based on the comanche but nothing for a cherokee.

The earlier 180s go for a lot less, and in proper trim fly plenty fast. These days the experimental prices are comparable to many certifieds. If you have a good relationship with your mechanic you can do all the maintenance you want. Moreover, I don't think you can take instruction in an experimental anyway.

More to the point, I can't think of a single 4-place experimental that would sell for that kind of money.

Moreover, I don't think you can take instruction in an experimental anyway.
That is most certainly not the case. Someone can buy an experimental and I can instruct them in it.

The problem is if I want to buy an experimental and put it on a rental line and teach people to fly in it. That, I cannot do.

Are there any E-AB planes out there that are similar to the Cherokee for under $50k? ~1000lb load, "4" seats, low wing, easy to learn in. I have a friend looking to buy something to get his cert. in and can't think of anything in that fell into this category.

I know of a 180hp C172 not that far from Norman if you Gus are interested. Fits the money budget you have shared.

I'd forgotten about that design - good suggestion. There happens to be a Matronics email list for that design:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewforum.php?f=69&sid=72b6bd88f288c9b9da3cb8415ef463c6

(Or go here for all the supported forums: http://forums.matronics.com/ )

Coincidentally, someone on that list has a CH-640 for sale - but the asking price is $95k.

Here is a comparison chart someone put together:

http://www.kit-plane.com/performance-comparison.htm

That would be awesome, except his top requirement is low wing only. How much is he wanting?

Not to rekindle the high v. low wing arguments, but for the training and first few hundred hours, does it really matter?

It's a 1968 C172K, asking price I last heard about was $40k-ish

4800TT
400 SMOH
Lycoming 0360-180hp installed 8/98
McCauley Propeller installed 8/98
Dual Michel MX300 Nav/Comm
Interior Replaced May 2001
Front Windshield Replaced April 2000
Remaining windows Replaced April 2001
New Paint Dec 2002

I've been thinking of checking into it next month.

Also, I've got a new favorite $100 burger spot near David J. Perry (1K4) in Goldsby. Perhaps we could link up for a tall tale session.

"there I was with a headwind so strong, I became seriously worried about a bird strike..... From behind."

It doesn't, but that's what he prefers. He has about 10 hrs of instruction between a 172 and a Warrior and liked the Warrior better. It's his money so I won't argue with him but I'll show him this one. 180hp 172s are nice.

Back