Cherokee 140 crash lands in Cape Cod golf course

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
BARNSTABLE, Mass. --Officials say two people were aboard a small plane that crashed this morning on a golf course near an airport on Cape Cod.

A fire department dispatcher says both people were conscious when emergency workers arrived at the crash site near Cape Cod Airport in Barnstable.

Authorities requested two MedFlight helicopters to transport the passengers to the hospital, but the extent of their injuries was not immediately known.

The fire dispatcher, Laurie Motte, says the plane crashed on a driving range at the Olde Barnstable Fairgrounds Golf Course on Route 149. The driving range is across the street from the airport in the Marstons Mills section of Barnstable.

Motte says she didn't know if the plane was taking off or landing when it crashed

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...9/10/plane_crashes_on_cape_cod_driving_range/
Ummm...being that it ended up on the ground I would say it was landing. :rolleyes:

Is that the golf course on the left of the runway?
http://airnav.com/airport/KHYA

Last edited:
News just reported the plane was taking off from Cape Cod Airport (Marston Mills) when the engine quit. The 67 year old student was airlifted to a Boston Hospital while the 60 year old instructor was take to the local hospital. Non life threatening injuries.
Quite amazing seeing the right wing completely upside down.
I'm glad they're okay. Speedy recovery wishes!

Those pictures make me real glad I had shoulder harnesses put in my Cherokee.

According to the thread there was an air show going on at the airport.

John;

Do you know where the aircraft was based? I may know them. Gosh I flew out of OWD and two other fields for over 25 years. I use to fly over Marston Mills when I was IFR out of HYA. Gosh I really am glad they are "ok" Marston Mills is a neat little airport for Cubs, Champs and those that don't need a lot of runway.

Thank you

John J

John J said:
John;

Do you know where the aircraft was based? I may know them. Gosh I flew out of OWD and two other fields for over 25 years. I use to fly over Marston Mills when I was IFR out of HYA. Gosh I really am glad they are "ok" Marston Mills is a neat little airport for Cubs, Champs and those that don't need a lot of runway.

Thank you

John J
Okay is a relative term. That they medflighted one to Boston sure means some issue needed adressing. As to who was involved, the report never said names. The plane is listed out of North Dartmouth which may mean it is based in New Bedford and Marston Mills was a destination. I sure hope it wasn't anyone we know. I feel bad enough it happened without that.
A few years ago (maybe more than a few), I went to a flyin event. A lot of plane showed up. We all had a blast. The day ended with one of the planes crashing. All survived but it did kind of dampen the whole day.
It happens and we all know it, but gee wizz,pick another day please!

not to make light of it, but since no one died, I guess I can say that I found this slightly humorous:

Somethingawful.com Forum Goon said:
It looks like they were washing the plane and something went horribly, horribly wrong

NickDBrennan said:
not to make light of it, but since no one died, I guess I can say that I found this slightly humorous:

Yeah, that was pretty silly.... I was wondering if the right wing was part of Pipers new "flip wing design" to make Cherokees into amphibs.

DeeG said:
Yeah, that was pretty silly.... I was wondering if the right wing was part of Pipers new "flip wing design" to make Cherokees into amphibs.
Hey! No politics in this thread! :rolleyes:

bbchien said:
Dartmouth Mass is 6777W's home base.

Dr. Bruce and John

Thank you very much for the N number. As I remember 6777W may have been based at New Bedford. Dartmouth is just to the east of New Bedford. I use to get my fuel at New Bedford for it had the best price in the area and got to know some of the folks that flew out of there

I moved back to my roots here on the Eastern Shore of Maryland three years ago. I do miss flying around the Cape and the Islands.

Yes I remember some of the fly ins there two. Nice little field

I hope these fellows are ok.

Thanks again

John

Re: Cessna crash lands in Cape Cod golf course

sere said:
Reading the viewers statement from the photo't show how uneducated they are abour GA.

Yea, I was struck with that also. Some of the comments were downright callous.

Frank Browne said:
Yea, I was struck with that also. Some of the comments were downright callous.

That is the nature of their posts. They are callous. I remember one time a while back, during the tsunamis in Asia, they were talking about the end of the world, and somone photoshopped a giant wave pushing Dale Earnhardt's Car into the World Trade Center.

It takes all kinds.

"....so of course I got my camera and ran out the door" (so I could see someone dying?!). And that I think, is why airshows are the most popular pastime, beyond baseball. It's just the way it is.

bbchien said:
"....so of course I got my camera and ran out the door" (so I could see someone dying?!). And that I think, is why airshows are the most popular pastime, beyond baseball. It's just the way it is.

Ever wonder why people go Rodeo's or Bullfights?

sere said:
Ever wonder why people go Rodeo's or Bullfights?

Ahem, I go to rodeos to watch the guys and gals in their events. Everyone groans when someone gets hurt, I don't know anyone who goes for wanting to see blood.

Now if you had said they sometimes let real cowboys in rodeos then I would agree with you...

mikea said:
Hey! No politics in this thread! :rolleyes:

OK, NOW I get it! Took me a minute. In that case, I should have said the STARBOARD wing.

Dee--moving slow this morning.

NickDBrennan said:

Me too. That line alone was worth reading most of the others...

Now if you really want to give yourself a little fright, color print that PIX of the wrecked airplane & foam, type that as a news caption under it and pass it around the people you are among everyday and see how high into the double digits the percentage of viewers are that would take it as just that -an airplane washing gone horribly, horribly wrong !

Last edited:
I met a business friend yesterday who was an eye witness. He is not a pilot, but was standing with a pilot on the golf course when the plane came down.

He heard the plane first, and the sound of the engine caught his attention. Something was obviously wrong. He called the plane to the attention of the pilot with him, and they reported that:

The plane was porpoising through the air at low altitude. Nose down to try to gain speed, nose up for altitude, etc. Then the plane's pilot made the decision to put it down. It came down nose and right wing low, right wingtip touched hard first, and then the plane landed hard on the wheels. According to them, it did not pitchpole but it did yaw as the wing hit.

The pilot on the ground gave the pilot of the plane very high marks. Other than the driving range where the plane landed, the normal departure path takes the plane over inhospitable forest. The pilot on the ground thought the pilot did a great job in maneuvering the sick bird onto the small driving range rather than choose the trees.

Both survived, at least the last I heard is that they were expected to survive.

I hope it never happens to me. When it does, I hope I make the right decisions and execute them well. Time for some E-O practice.

-Skip

Back