Cherokee 140 air conditioning.... Does it work?

I rented a late model 172 equipped with A/C for a few flights around North Texas. It was reeeealy nice. It worked well on the ground too.

I was flying with one other person and a couple of small bags so useful load wasn't an issue.

I rented a 2008 C-172 with air. Great setup. Worked great.

I rented a late model 172 equipped with A/C for a few flights around North Texas. It was reeeealy nice. It worked well on the ground too.

I was flying with one other person and a couple of small bags so useful load wasn't an issue.

We removed the A/C from our '73 140. It worked just fine, but you can only use it at certian times, and must be turned off for take-off and landing. But can be turned on for taxi, and ground ops, or when in cruise flight. Can't use it during climbout. So we decided that the weight savings was well worth the short time of discomfort.
At altitude it really isn't needed.
For ground ops, we just keep the door open.
Kinda like the '72 beetle I had with factory air. Ya gotta turn it off to climb a hill.

Like most things, there are trade offs. Often in Florida, it can be difficult to climb high enough for relief.

It's true that the Piper AC unit shuts off at full throttle. I know some pull the throttle back enough to turn the AC back on in climb. One must be careful, as this can take out in enriching circut and cause high engine temps.

We removed the A/C from our '73 140. It worked just fine, but you can only use it at certian times, and must be turned off for take-off and landing. But can be turned on for taxi, and ground ops, or when in cruise flight. Can't use it during climbout. So we decided that the weight savings was well worth the short time of discomfort.
At altitude it really isn't needed.
For ground ops, we just keep the door open.
Kinda like the '72 beetle I had with factory air. Ya gotta turn it off to climb a hill.

The fact that many of them have been removed only shows that people value payload over comfort, not that the system doesn't work. It adds weight and maintenance expense, not everyone wants or needs this.

The R134 system available for the Bonanza weighs 41lbs and costs $21,500. I am rarely payload limited, sitting in line for takeoff at some FL airport I would gladly write the check.

Does an A/C system have recoverable value? I see it as similar to a swimming pool. These days a nice pool can cost $60-$75K, but when you sell the house they add very little value.

How much does that $21.5K Bonanza system add to the sale price on a fifteen year old airframe?

How much does that $21.5K Bonanza system add to the sale price on a fifteen year old airframe?

Dont know. On a older plane, you narrow your market to that one guy from FL or TX who absolutely has to have it. The new G36s I believe come with the system as standard equipment, so not having it could be a downside in that market.

I know one guy who put it in his F33A as he flies mostly for business. He was sick changing from shorts and t-shirt into a suit in airport bathrooms before his clients would come to pick him up.

Dont know. On a older plane, you narrow your market to that one guy from FL or TX who absolutely has to have it. The new G36s I believe come with the system as standard equipment, so not having it could be a downside in that market.

I know one guy who put it in his F33A as he flies mostly for business. He was sick changing from shorts and t-shirt into a suit in airport bathrooms before his clients would come to pick him up.

If it was avail for my airframe I'd be tempted. We do ok with my ice box and the evap at altitude, but if I have to stay low in Aug the evap doesn't help, and eventually the ice runs out. Kind of a narrow use graph, but when you want it, you want it.

All the ones I've seen we're removed, that's gotta be sayin something.

I think real A/C on non-turbine aircraft is a cool idea, but its also a little bit of a myth.

Plenty of Aerostars have them. There's two different types, and fairly popular.

Does an A/C system have recoverable value? I see it as similar to a swimming pool. These days a nice pool can cost $60-$75K, but when you sell the house they add very little value.

Probably not much, however if it works and you are demoing it on a hot day to a potential buyer, it will definitely give you the advantage in sale over another.

Swimming pools are quite variable by area. In SoFla they definitely add value, especially if they are screened in, most places they are neutral, and in a good few others they are a negative due to the cost and hassle of maintenance.

Thanks for all the input. My conclusion is that the system works. Whether or not it's worth the $$$ and hassle to keep it working is a different question. Thanks again.

I kinda got a chuckle on this thread. And remember something I tried a few weeks ago.

I have a 1948 Bonanza (V Tail). The came with a "swamp cooler" and the innards of mine have long since disappeared. A couple of weeks ago, the temps here in Arkansas were in the upper 90's with the heat index well over 100 and I wanted to go flying. So I just threw some ice in the cooler..

Guess what happens when 150MPH air hits ice? Ever seen it rain INSIDE the aircraft?! I won't try that one again ...

I'm convinced those icebox coolers are the way to go. Seen a number of folks that love them and you don't need to see an A&P to do the install..

Back