Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
alland
Bio.
Age 64
Home UK & Florida
Began PPL flight training Dec.2011
Scheduled training, on average 1 week flying twice a day every 3 months.
Total hours Logged = 87

Well last Thursday the day finally arrived –checkride day !,
Passed the oral without any real problems, a couple of things I wasn’t 100% sure on I looked up, or the examiner explained it to me, so it was out to the airplane for the practical part of the test, completed all requirements on the checkride, navigation, detour, performance maneuvers, emergency engine out procedure. Came back to the airport for take off and landings, did normal landing, soft field take off and landing, and he said ok around the pattern once more and do a short field landing to a full stop and we will call it a day...
Then when I am starting downwind for runway 5, (the runway we had been using for the other take off and landings),ATC came on the radio and changed the active runway to 9, so I came around the pattern set up for normal approach and final into 9 and was busy flying the plane to keep airborne over the numbers and to the 1000 ft marker he designated as the touch down point for the short field landing, I didn't stop,to think the obvious -why they had changed the active runway...so got caught out with an increasing crosswind just as I approached my touch down point, hadn't felt it on final so never entered my mind to cross control.and set up for it, only myself to blame, I didn’t ask ATC for the winds and it turned into a hard landing and off centre line, and this examiners pet hate is landing off centre line, no second chance......check ride busted !

So had to wait until Saturday afternoon when the examiner was free again for a re-test, only had to go up demonstrate to him that I can do an acceptable crosswind landing and I should be good for the ticket.

Saturday did not go to plan for the re-test. Arrived at the airport to meet the examiner and the weather was getting pretty windy at 16kt gusting to 22kt
The examiner asked if I wanted to go ahead and take the ride, as time was running against me because I was heading home to the UK on Tuesday I said yes let's give it a shot, well as we walked across the ramp to the plane it was really gusting and I thought to myself this is not looking good to demonstrate a passable crosswind landing, unfortunately throughout my training schedule the winds have been pretty light and without the experience of gusting.

As we taxied out it was blowing the airplane around making it difficult to control, well the examiner looked at me and said....this isn't good, I am not going make you do this, it’s your call but I would suggest we should abort the ride and try again on Monday...I have to say I agreed, the examiner was great, he didn't log it as a failure, he just said let's call this a practise to check out “go or no go” conditions, gusting like it is would present a problem for a reasonably experienced pilot let alone a novice pilot !

So we arranged the re-test for 10am Monday, I arranged to meet my CFI at the airport at 8am and planned to stay in the pattern and practice some crosswind landings before my check ride.
Prepared to take off for first run around the pattern and asked ATC for pattern work and option on landing, which he granted, I took off and just got into downwind for runway 9 and called in my downwind position to ATC, he came back on and said, sorry the option is withdrawn, we have clouds at 500ft coming in fast, make it a full stop landing we are going IFR.

So got no real practice! The examiner arrived at 10am and it was still IFR, he said he had a little time to spare so we would see if it cleared enough to go VFR in time.

I was getting really stressed as this would be my last shot at it before having to head back to the UK and would not be back in Florida until January, which would exceed my 60 day limit for a re-test and would mean doing the whole checkride all over again. Ok not a major problem, if I had done it once I could do it again or I would not be a very candidate to possess a PPL would I.
But I had worked so hard over the past months, I just wanted to head back home proud to have achieved my goal.

Well my luck changed and around 10:45am the beacon went out and the airport was VFR again....off we went to go to the airplane on the ramp...I almost ran to it...lol
We took off and I came back around the pattern to do a good crosswind landing, and he said ok that was good, but let’s go do another just so I know it wasn't a fluke....
Talk about shot nerves....lol....but I did another good landing and he just quietly said....well done "pilot"...

To say I am happy right now would be an understatement.....now the task of continuing my learning and becoming a good pilot begins ! Including a session or two with my CFI (when we have some winds and gusting) so I can hone my piloting skills to cope with such unpredictable conditions.

And I would also like to say, advice I have read on POA by many of you experienced pilots here, have helped me a great deal during my training. I thank you Sirs :thumbsup:

Glad it worked for you (three tries! Ecch!). But I don't understand why ATC changed the runway into a crosswind. I'd expect the crosswind to go away as you got down.

And if there was significant wind shear, they should have told you about it.

But you did it. Congratulations.

Congrats! I landed off centerline a bit on my ride, but wind was pretty bad. Guess DPE let it slide. Glad you got it in time before your departure to UK.

Nice work on the pass! I'm confused too by the change to a more crosswind runway. Plus it's only a 40 degree difference in runways so not sure. Anyway, does not really matter because you are a private pilot! Enjoy the new privileges and take up a passenger to share in your experience!

Congratulations Cap'n. Doesn't matter if you did it in one or ten tries. You did something few have.
Now go fly!

Thanks for the comments guys, maybe my explanation of ATC changing the RW was a little confusing, they didn't actually say why they changed the active to 9, I assumed it was as a result of a change in wind direction, my cross wind experience was possibly just something that came into the equation as I was in the final stage of landing ?
But I got there in the end..so all good

I still consider myself very much a novice, and look forward to learning a lot more as I gain hours in the air.

Back