Checkride next Saturday

smigaldi said:
Grant hurry up please, I am planning to fly Saturday to Indiana and the sooner you do your checkride the faster we will have good weather again. There is no way that once you have your IFR rating that you will see bad wx again for a while. :D:D:D
Sorry Scott. We went up this morning and were getting broken at 1400. I am okay flying in that, but Chicago Approach was too busy and we didn't feel we'd be able to get the multiple approaches we needed, so we came back and landed. Now scheduled for Saturday morning at 10:00. Afraid I can just about guarantee you cruddy weather for your flight, since I'm now zero for four. At least I haven't busted!

Jeez, Grant, don't you think that after four tries the FAA should just GIVE you the rating? Kinda like going 4-0 in baseball?
E

Don't f*ck up.

:D

Seriously, follow Cap'n Ron's advice and good luck!

EHITCH said:
Jeez, Grant, don't you think that after four tries the FAA should just GIVE you the rating? Kinda like going 4-0 in baseball?
E
I was kind of thinking that myself! At least I did a wonderful landing coming back in today. Winds 40* off heading, 10Kt gusting 19Kt. Sweet, soft landing and off by midfield no problem.

Anthony said:
Don't f*ck up.

:D
Seriously, follow Cap'n Ron's advice and good luck!
As I told the DE, my only fear at this point is doing something stupid through inattention or forgetfulness. I'm at the point now where I'm nervous (that'll never change) but confident. I can't say I'm relaxed, but I'm as close as I'm going to be.

Luckily, I think she likes me. That (and a good checkride) will get me an instrument ticket. :rofl::rofl:

:happydance:I Got It! :D:happydance:
:rollercoaster:
5th time was the charm. It wasn't faultless, but it was well within the documented standards. We weren't able to complete the first non-precision approach because of ATC instructions, which is just as well, because I thought I heard a clearance for the approach that the DE didn't. We did an additional non-precision approach at another airport, and all was good. I'll probably be filing to PLN and MCD next weekend! I'll put Leslie under the hood for the trip.

The checkride:
DPA ILS 2L
DPA VOR 10 partial panel, full procedure, circle to 2L. discontinued.
cancel IFR, head south VFR. unusual attitudes on the way (partial panel, under the hood).
LOT VOR 9, circle to 2
Break off missed west toward JOT, then do the GPS B to 1C5 on the coupled autopilot.
Managed to do straight in to 36, which I wasn't sure I'd be able to do due to traffic. There was a Young Eagles event at 1C5 this morning.

Congratulations, Grant! I'm sure you're just happy to have it over with. Now it's time to get it wet!

FlyNE said:
Congratulations, Grant! I'm sure you're just happy to have it over with. Now it's time to get it wet!
Ecstatic! And I have to say, I already have about 12 hours of actual time, so I'm used to being all wet!:rofl:

smigaldi said:
Congrats Grant!!

That must be why the WX was good today for my flight out to KSMD!!
That's great to hear. I was going to ask how the flight was!

gprellwitz said:
That's great to hear. I was going to ask how the flight was!

Nice actually. Had about 20minutes of actual as I was in and out of the clouds around the NW side of the class B. Then above a few later when they let me climb. Even had a controller clear me direct to EON when I was around DPA so cut a few miles off of the trip.

The coolest part was when ATC called some traffic for me. Turned out to be a B17 and it flew right underneath. I got a great view of that grand old bird.

Congrats Grant! Woohoo! :cheers:

Now you can make ChiApp actually talk to you before they kick you out of their airspace. :rofl:

flyingcheesehead said:
Now you can make ChiApp actually talk to you before they kick you out of their airspace. :rofl:

Hee Hee did that yesterday. Beautiful VFR WX but I would not cancel IFR until 10 miles from my home airport. ATC was hinting a lot at cancelling. Things like Burlington is reporting VFR followed a few minutes by Waukegan is reporting VFR, I just thanked them for the WX update. Hee Hee.

As long as I did not hear anyone not getting a clearence because I was around I was going to make ATC earn their money.

bbchien said:
Good on you, Grant. Now let's get to helping Leslie out....
Thanks! Her last two flights have been really good. It seems that doing the training in the 172 as opposed to the 182 is helping. Of course, I'm already setting her up, telling the DPE that she is much better at weather than I am!:rofl::rofl::rofl: (But it's TRUE!)

When we fly up to Mackinac Island next weekend, we'll file, but she'll be under the hood!

Grant, congratulations! Yee ha!
Elizabeth

YAY!!!! Good on ya, Grant!

Kaye

As my two teenage daughters would say, "Coolness!!! W00T!!!"

(Will somebody please tell me what "W00T" means?)

Thanks y'all! Looking to file for the first time this weekend from 1C5 to KPLN to KMCD. Of course, I'll put Leslie under the hood for the flight, taking over for at least one of the landings so I can claim at least one airport for the ConUS Challenge!

BTW Grant.

On your new IFR ticket

imagestore%20(12).gif

Troy Whistman said:
(Will somebody please tell me what "W00T" means?)

Wide Open Orifice Throttle? Wild Old Outstanding Time? Wear Out Old Tires?

Yeah, sign of my advancing age, I ain't got no idea either. I think it's an acronym. Going with context clues, I've concluded that it is an expression of encouragement and excitement. Good, not bad. Other than that, well.....

Thanks again, all! I GOT IT WET THIS WEEKEND! Headed up to Mackinac Island Friday, and shot the GPS-A to KMCD. When the King Air in front of me, who was on a visual, called up asking for lower because he was still in the clouds when he was as low as they could give him, I knew I'd better ask for an actual approach! He managed to find a hole and literally dive for it and cancel IFR, but I went ahead and shot it. It was awfully nice coming in, getting below the clouds a couple hundred feet above MDA, and canceling IFR as I circle to land.

Coming back to Clow, had a similar thing. Was in and out of clouds from Grand Rapids all the way back. Went down into a solid deck at about 3500 on the approach, and stayed in it until breaking out at about 1700ft. Well above the MDA of 1220, but certainly enough to qualify, and close enough that I had already picked out what to do if I had to go missed!

I like this rating!

Congrats! On the list to finish up. Got myself 15 hours and ran out of money. (Looks like I'd have to start from the beginning or at least have a real good instructor).

Back