Checkride - Am I really ready?

ateamer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ateamer
My commercial checkride is scheduled for three days away. We've been training in a Mooney - 17 hours - which has been all new to me after 500+ in 172s and Cherokees. The Garmin 530 and King autopilot are new as well - I've never flown with any kind of Garmin box and our 172 has a simple S-Tec 20. My CFI has not trained me on the 530 nor the autopilot because all of our training has been VFR, concentrating on the commercial maneuvers, takeoffs and landings. He said I won't need to know it for the checkride. Nor has he given me any single systems failures, not even pulling power for a simulated engine failure. I self-initiated an emergency gear extension, but it's not the same training value if I know what the problem is going to be and when it will happen.

I talked with the DPE today and he said I will be expected to know all the equipment on board and be able to use it. Great. All along the CFI has been saying I didn't need to know anymore than the nav/com and basic map features on the 530 and the autopilot has stayed off the entire time. My personal flying is all done with a sectional, map and compass or VOR/DME with the Foreflight GPS for situational awareness. (I really have fun with pilotage.)

So, I am thinking this chrckride needs to be delayed by a couple weeks, I need a stage check with another CFI and some more thorough training. Am I right or just overthinking and stressing out?

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much, commercial is indeed all about the maneuvers but that includes emergencies. If you haven't been doing 180 power off landings then I'm not sure what's going on. Where are you flying out of? If it's KWVI who's your DPE?

In the context of this discussion, I'd pay particular to these two tasks:

Task G: Operation of Systems (ASEL and ASES)​
References: FAA-H-8083-25, FAA-H-8083-23; POH/AFM.​
Objective: To determine that the applicant exhibits satisfactory
knowledge of the elements related to the operation of
systems on the airplane provided for the flight test by
explaining at least three of the following systems.
1. Primary flight controls and trim.
2. Flaps, leading edge devices, and spoilers.
3. Water rudders (ASES).
4. Powerplant and propeller.
5. Landing gear.
6. Fuel, oil, and hydraulic.
7. Electrical.
8. Avionics.
9. Pitot-static, vacuum/pressure, and associated flight
instruments.
10. Environmental.​
11. Deicing and anti-icing.

Task B: Navigation Systems and Radar Services (ASEL
and ASES)​
References: FAA-H-8083-3, FAA-H-8083-25; Navigation
Equipment Operation Manuals; AIM; FAA-H-8083-2.​
Objective:​
To determine that the applicant:
1. Exhibits satisfactory knowledge of the elements related to
navigation systems and radar services.
2. Demonstrates the ability to use an airborne electronic
navigation system.
3. Locates the airplane’s position using the navigation system.
4. Intercepts and tracks a given course, radial, or bearing as
appropriate.
5. Recognizes and describes the indication of station passage
if appropriate.
6. Recognizes signal loss and takes appropriate action.
7. Uses proper communication procedures when utilizing

radar services.
Note that on the latter task, the examiner may select any installed and operable nav system.
Woundnt worry too much about the 530, it's a flying ride not a instrument ride.
Given what it says in the PTS you linked, that is unsound advice.

The Garmin 530 and King autopilot are new as well - I've never flown with any kind of Garmin box and our 172 has a simple S-Tec 20. My CFI has not trained me on the 530 nor the autopilot because all of our training has been VFR, concentrating on the commercial maneuvers, takeoffs and landings. He said I won't need to know it for the checkride. Nor has he given me any single systems failures, not even pulling power for a simulated engine failure.
It sounds like your instructor does not know the CP-A PTS, and is setting you up for failure. I'd have a talk with him about that with the PTS open in front of you, especially Area/Task's I.G., IV.K., and VII.B.

I talked with the DPE today and he said I will be expected to know all the equipment on board and be able to use it.
By the PTS, the DPE is correct.

So, I am thinking this chrckride needs to be delayed by a couple weeks, I need a stage check with another CFI and some more thorough training. Am I right or just overthinking and stressing out?
You are absolutely right about needing another CFI, and not just for a stage check (which is not a requirement) but to make sure you are prepared for all the Tasks in the ASEL portion of the CP-A PTS.

On my commercial my dpe had me do a paper flight plan but when we flew it he encouraged me to use the 430 because I had it. Excellent. Also for my diversion using the 430 meant I hit nearest and we went direct o the nearest airport without fumbling with the sectional. That's what my dpe wanted to see because it was the safest and more efficient in my airplane. So in my opinion a basic under standing of the 530 is going to be necessary. So are emergencies. On mine I had a medical emergency and 2 engine failures. One very low after pylon eights and one about 3000 agl. No gear emergency though I was prepared for it.

Reminds me of what happened on my PP checkride. I wound up taking it in a 172 that I'd never flown before. During the checkride, I found myself stumbling with the radio stack. It was one of those old push button styles (can't remember the manufacturer).

Almost screwed up that part of the test:redface:. Nothing worse than not knowing how to use the damn radio:mad2:

I think the DPE gave me a break since I was doing great on everything else:yes:

Last edited:
It should not take you more than one lesson to get used to the 530. They are the easiest GPS to use out there.

You won't be flying holds or approaches. Just learn how to use the nearest and D> To functions.

You can download a simulator from garmin for free.

It should not take you more than one lesson to get used to the 530. They are the easiest GPS to use out there.

You won't be flying holds or approaches. Just learn how to use the nearest and D> To functions.

You can download a simulator from garmin for free.
I suppose that depends on the length of the lesson. Having trained a lot of people on the 530, I think it takes several hours of training with the sim and then an hour or so in flight to teach someone enough to be prepared to use it on any practical test, not just an IR test, but YMMV.

Your instructor would not sign you off if you were not. Simple as that. If you think you need more time speak up now. Part of being a pilot is judgment. In fact that's pretty much all of it.

Just to clarify one point: We have done power-off 180 degree precision landings, but they've all been planned. Power being pulled has not been a surprise. We're doing more training today and a mock checkride later in the day, which has been planned.

If I was doing it over, I would have asked to have asked if a syllabus and lesson plan would be followed and if there are stage checks. Coming from a background as a law enforcement trainer, I learn best with structure and detailed organization, as well as supervisory review before being progressed to the next level. Part 141 might have worked better for my personality.

Back