Checkpoints

ebykowsky

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
goalstop
How often do you guys make checkpoints when planning flights for pure pilotage? I tend to go between every 15-25nm for purposes of planning, but if there's another really good closer one, I'll make note and use it as a supplement. Just curious to see from your guys' perspectives. Also, I'm going to be having my checkride in a couple of weeks and want to make sure I have enough.

I picked checkpoints every 10-15 nm when I was a student. Now I don't pick out checkpoints ahead of time, but I do still plot my route on a sectional and follow along during the flight.

I usually use time, and for me it is about every ten minutes or so. Also it depends on where I am flying. I use obvious landmarks as my checkpoints. I have a hard time finding a single tower or a smaller road, but VOR intersections, airports, larger natural formations, water towers, and the like work much better for me.

Now I don't pick out checkpoints ahead of time, but I do still plot my route on a sectional and follow along during the flight.

I sort of agree. I will pick an actual checkpoint every 45-60 min of flying, so I can look at ETA/ATA and know if my calcs are correct (unforecast winds, etc).
Not as critical nowadays when my GPSs will tell be groundspeed rather than having to calculate it.
But my ETE includes time to climb, etc, and changes due to climbing to smooth air or whatever else are not included in my GS reading at the moment. so a checkpoint once in a while tells me how far off my estimates are.

I sort of agree. I will pick an actual checkpoint every 45-60 min of flying, so I can look at ETA/ATA and know if my calcs are correct (unforecast winds, etc).
Not as critical nowadays when my GPSs will tell be groundspeed rather than having to calculate it.
But my ETE includes time to climb, etc, and changes due to climbing to smooth air or whatever else are not included in my GS reading at the moment. so a checkpoint once in a while tells me how far off my estimates are.
That is what I think most of us do in real life, though my calculations concern more about fuel usage than ETA to tell you the truth. However, on the checkride, I do not think the DPE will accept that as a procedure, and thus the OP's concern.

Also, how long do you guys spend making your flight plans? I typically spend around 2+ hours putting together the route, complete with checkpoints and ETE/wind calcs, as well as familiarizing myself with the destination airports and other factors involving the flight (around 3 once I get my standard briefing and go over the plan one last time). Does this seem like too long or is it about what you guys spend? By the way, I tend to try not to use my GPS--that's too easy :)

I don't think I've even filled out a VFR nav log since I've had my PPL. These days I just plug the route in to Foreflight and let it calc it out.

It's also pretty hard to get lost in Northern California, unless visibility is right at minimums.

Also, how long do you guys spend making your flight plans? I typically spend around 2+ hours putting together the route, complete with checkpoints and ETE/wind calcs, as well as familiarizing myself with the destination airports and other factors involving the flight (around 3 once I get my standard briefing and go over the plan one last time). Does this seem like too long or is it about what you guys spend? By the way, I tend to try not to use my GPS--that's too easy :)

Not long if I were flying across several states... How far are we talking about? If you are doing a couple hundred mile flight, I can't imagine putting more than a hour in it. And I think that would be a lot. With the automated flight planning software available, it should be even quicker.

I'm going to put my flak jacket on for what I'm about to say. I take advantage of every electronic tool I have at my disposal. I venture to say that most VFR only pilots today are probably relying heavily on them. I'm not saying that is right or wrong. You still need the basic skills to be able to figure out how to navigate but for the flight planning aspect, which we are discussing here, I use them religiously. With the rubber band lines, you can create your own waypoints -- and print the whole thing out in a nice format.

The same holds true for IFR. I spent a lot of time before iPads and computers putting together plans from enroute charts. Today, when planning an IFR flight, I pull up my departure and destination airports in either ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot in the flight planning section and then insert the routing either by insert the airways or by rubber banding to the points on the plan.

Does this mean I couldn't do it if I only had paper -- no.

To me, flight planning is much more interesting and challenging than most XC flights I've taken. Personally, XC flights without someone else along to keep me company is incredibly boring most of the time. For an XC, I start the planning about 3 days ahead of time watching the long-range forecasts on the Weather Channel and other resources.

Actual flight planning depends where I'm going. There's these big hills just to the west of me. Do I go over, around to the south, around to the north, or get in the car and drive? Even if driving, the weather is the #1 consideration. If summer, do I have the summer emergency bag in the truck and is the dog coming along? If winter, is the winter emergency bag updated & packed, is there an extra gallon of windshield fluid, the chains and shovel in the trunk, and is the dog coming along?

But then, I've always liked puzzles.

Last edited:
Mostly around 200 mile round trip XC's. I've been tending to use VFR sectionals for my flight plans--However, last time I used Skyvector's flight planner and I did it in around an hour, including planing around a restricted area and an MOA. Think I'll be using the internet a bit more from now on! My instructor still likes me to do it by hand, though. I've got a really good spreadsheet I created too for wind correction, magnetic deviation, groundspeed, ETE etc.--just plug in heading and wind direction/velocity and it does the rest! Can share it with anyone if they want.

Not long if I were flying across several states... How far are we talking about? If you are doing a couple hundred mile flight, I can't imagine putting more than a hour in it. And I think that would be a lot. With the automated flight planning software available, it should be even quicker.

I'm going to put my flak jacket on for what I'm about to say. I take advantage of every electronic tool I have at my disposal. I venture to say that most VFR only pilots today are probably relying heavily on them. I'm not saying that is right or wrong. You still need the basic skills to be able to figure out how to navigate but for the flight planning aspect, which we are discussing here, I use them religiously. With the rubber band lines, you can create your own waypoints -- and print the whole thing out in a nice format.

The same holds true for IFR. I spent a lot of time before iPads and computers putting together plans from enroute charts. Today, when planning an IFR flight, I pull up my departure and destination airports in either ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot in the flight planning section and then insert the routing either by insert the airways or by rubber banding to the points on the plan.

Does this mean I couldn't do it if I only had paper -- no.
As in many things, what we do during training and what is done in actuality are two different things. I do not think anyone should give you flack for using everything including the modern electronic devices for flight planning. However, like you also say being prepared to know what to do when they fail is also important. I typically will fly one flight a month without any modern devices(which is not as easy as it sounds in a G1000 plane) and fly by dead reckoning. I find it fun and educational and helps me keep my sectional reading skills current. I probably could do the same with my flight simulator but it leaves a lot to desire.

Doug

How often do you guys make checkpoints when planning flights for pure pilotage? I tend to go between every 15-25nm for purposes of planning, but if there's another really good closer one, I'll make note and use it as a supplement. Just curious to see from your guys' perspectives. Also, I'm going to be having my checkride in a couple of weeks and want to make sure I have enough.

Pilotage, it varies too much to say, could be 10 miles, could be 200; sometimes I fly the entire flight over a checkpoint using railroads, highways, pipelines and electric transmission lines. Basically flying pilotage I am constantly looking out the window and comparing the features to the sectional. Once you really start looking hard, you'll notice that our charts are exceptional, accurately drawn works of art. Even shapes of lakes, small bends in rivers, the yellow areas shaped as you see the lighted patches on the ground... It's all there and the more experience you get looking out the window and looking and comparing it to the chart, the easier it will become for you to find matching details.

About 12 seconds as I taxi to the run up pad. Measure it with 2 fingers set to 30nm and judge the angle against a line of longitude for my course and make sure I'm carrying enough fuel or I'll stop at the pumps on the way.

Now it takes a bit longer as I have a bunch of knob spinning to do to enter it into the 430, but I always do a quick and dirty in my head so if I enter a letter wrong, I'll get a clue quick due to seeing way wrong numbers.

Once you do it enough, it just falls together.

Last edited:
For your stage in learning to fly, I would say you are about right. Keep doing what you are doing. After the checkride, you can refine your procedures. As Henning says, though, always look at the electronic results to see if they "make sense." Not doing that can get you into real trouble.

The Examiner would rather see a few more checkpoints than too few. You're already about right, especially the supplimentation part.

Well, for my hot shot fellow pilots on here, how about a challenge?
How well can you fly a compass heading for 120 miles (roughly)?

1. Lay out a straight course on the sectional that is about an hour and ten minutes - give or take.
Have the end point of the course be easily identifiable from the air - and not in controlled airspace where ATC will be vectoring you.
2. Make a first check point roughly ten minutes from takeoff.
3. Remember to get out ye old E6B and calculate your on course heading and ground speed, complete with wind correction prior to take off. (Electronic is OK, but not as sporting!)
4. When you reach first check point use that to fine-tune your on course heading and actual ground speed.
5. NOW fly that final heading for an hour by the clock - or whatever your CALCULATED time is - and then turn to the final check point and use time to measure the distance you were off. (Can also use GPS to measure, or whatever)

How did you do? :rofl:

Oooh, oooh, oooh, did I remember to mention -
NO gyros - gotta follow the swinging whiskey compass.
NO autopilot
Cover the GPS screen - I won't make you find your way home by compass.
And turn the sectional over after the first check point.
This is a flying test not a chart reading test.

A couple of points.
On a 60 mile leg being off to one side by one mile is one degree of accuracy.
On a one hour leg, roughly 120 miles, being within one mile laterally would be one-half degree in accuracy.
Those of you with faster planes may want to cut the time down to stay roughly within the 120 miles for easy calculation of accuracy.
How did you do on ground speed?

This guys, and gal, is real flying

Well, for my hot shot fellow pilots on here, how about a challenge?
How well can you fly a compass heading for 120 miles (roughly)?

1. Lay out a straight course on the sectional that is about an hour and ten minutes - give or take.
Have the end point of the course be easily identifiable from the air - and not in controlled airspace where ATC will be vectoring you.
2. Make a first check point roughly ten minutes from takeoff.
3. Remember to get out ye old E6B and calculate your on course heading and ground speed, complete with wind correction prior to take off. (Electronic is OK, but not as sporting!)
4. When you reach first check point use that to fine-tune your on course heading and actual ground speed.
5. NOW fly that final heading for an hour by the clock - or whatever your CALCULATED time is - and then turn to the final check point and use time to measure the distance you were off. (Can also use GPS to measure, or whatever)

How did you do? :rofl:

Oooh, oooh, oooh, did I remember to mention -
NO gyros - gotta follow the swinging whiskey compass.
NO autopilot
Cover the GPS screen - I won't make you find your way home by compass.
And turn the sectional over after the first check point.
This is a flying test not a chart reading test.

A couple of points.
On a 60 mile leg being off to one side by one mile is one degree of accuracy.
On a one hour leg, roughly 120 miles, being within one mile laterally would be one-half degree in accuracy.
Those of you with faster planes may want to cut the time down to stay roughly within the 120 miles for easy calculation of accuracy.
How did you do on ground speed?

This guys, and gal, is real flying
Can I use my Rand McNally and ground references. If not I would be lucky if was off only by 10 miles at the end. For me, the variables to account for specifically changes in wind speed and direction, and the inherent instability of my magnetic compass to do this with any accuracy. I do this with my HSI at least once a month, or sometimes just use ground references and not use my compass at all to fly for practice. It becomes easy of course if you are familiar with where you are, more difficult if you are not.

Nope, gotta do it transoceanic style straight up DST nav, this is an excellent exercise actually.

When I was conducting my training and prepping my cross county flight plans, I picked visual references that I thought would be easy to pick out, like larger lakes or oddly shaped lakes, groupings of antenna's, etc. I would try to space them out so they occurred what I thought would be about every 10 minutes.

Now I still plot out my route, but just reference to the chart every so often.

(Taken from a post I made earlier today over on the Purple Board)
I spend about 30 minutes at a minimum for flight planning of anything beyond a very, very short hop (less than 30 minutes in the air). Longer flights can take over an hour to review everything and plan the departure alternate (just in case we need to land ASAP but the departure airport goes down in terms of weather), en route alternates and destination alternates. I actually came up with a two page form to make sure I don't miss anything when it comes to planning. Think of it as the "Go/No Go Checklist". Of course, this is geared towards instrument flying.

As for "checkpoints", I haven't flown pilotage since my last flight with my PPL instructor. Assuming I can see landmarks (depending on weather and altitude), I try to validate my position at least twice per hour in the name of redundancy. However, at the altitudes I like/want to fly at, landmarks have to be pretty obvious.

Murphey said:
Personally, XC flights without someone else along to keep me company is incredibly boring most of the time.

Finally someone who is of the same mindset that I am.

Well, for my hot shot fellow pilots on here, how about a challenge?...

That's what I did coming back from OSH on 2011, when my alternator failed over eastern Nebraska at dusk. Unable to repair, had an A&P verify that it was an internal fault and not hazardous to flight.

Stayed overnight, had to give Denver Approach an ETA to the Mode C veil. After 3 hours enroute, I was 5 min late of my ETA.

But your point is well taken. You have to know how to do it without gadgets, before you start cutting corners.

For your stage in learning to fly, I would say you are about right. Keep doing what you are doing. After the checkride, you can refine your procedures. As Henning says, though, always look at the electronic results to see if they "make sense." Not doing that can get you into real trouble.
Yeah, but be careful even so! I know of a pilot who launched from the Chicago area to an airport about 350NM away. He misread a 0 for an O and headed for an airport that was off about 16 degrees and 50NM from his intended destination. I'm sure he had done an initial guesstimate on heading and time en route, but those values are within the noise on an estimation like that. Unfortunately, he came into the wrong airport right around sunset, and the correct airport, a grass strip, didn't have lighting, and he'd never been there before!

Mostly around 200 mile round trip XC's. I've been tending to use VFR sectionals for my flight plans--However, last time I used Skyvector's flight planner and I did it in around an hour, including planing around a restricted area and an MOA. Think I'll be using the internet a bit more from now on! My instructor still likes me to do it by hand, though. I've got a really good spreadsheet I created too for wind correction, magnetic deviation, groundspeed, ETE etc.--just plug in heading and wind direction/velocity and it does the rest! Can share it with anyone if they want.

I do 10-15 nm, use Skyvector, and my own software to do calculations. I draw lines on charts and use a CX2 in the cockpit (easier for my old eyes to read). The flight school planes I fly are, shall we say, lacking in avionics. No GPS, at least one VOR is down at any time in each plane. No ADF, no notthing, but I'm told the Loran was working when they shut Loran down. Even with my Nexus and Navigator, I still make marks on paper. Paper never bluescreens or runs out of battery. I have always been a belt and suspenders kind of guy.
Of course, I then wander all over the sky looking at interestng things along the way. So much for flying an efficient route.
One of the things that boogled my mind in the MU-2 a few weeks ago: Everything worked. I don't remember the last time I was in an airplane where everything worked. I didn't even know it was LEGAL for everything to work.

Glenn

Back