Checklist recommendations?

dwalt

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DWalt
Anyone have any recommendations on the best checklist providers for the following (looking to purchase online):

-C172N
-C172SP
-PA-28-181

Looking for something easily portable.

EDIT- a good iPad checklist App will do as well (and probably would be preferable)

Last edited:
Get the POH and then roll your own. Allows you to customize it to your style of operation.

Did I mention the low cost of acquisition?

Get the POH and then roll your own. Allows you to customize it to your style of operation.

Did I mention the low cost of acquisition?

Probably a good call...on that note, see the edit above...any good apps for creating my own checklist?

Probably a good call...on that note, see the edit above...any good apps for creating my own checklist?

Create a PDF and use Goodreader or if you happen to use FF you can out it in there.

My 172SP student got one that looked pretty nice. It is a checkmate and has a matte finish which was nice.

I type it up in Word and then laminate it and bind it with a few 1" binder rings.

Microsoft Word and the table function.

An older example of a Warrior I used to rent.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 41
Good suggestions for adding to foreflight.

My search of the app store yielded nothing I really liked...soooo, I'm going to write my own checklist app.

Not to change the direction of the thread, but since I started it...what the hey.

Any suggestions of what you all would want to see in the ideal checklist app?

Good suggestions for adding to foreflight.

My search of the app store yielded nothing I really liked...soooo, I'm going to write my own checklist app.

Not to change the direction of the thread, but since I started it...what the hey.

Any suggestions of what you all would want to see in the ideal checklist app?

There is going to be something (or more than one thing) wrong with any bought or downloaded list. That is because if you made one that was all inclusive, it would be prohibitively long, but there is going to be stuff that, through trial and error, you specifically need. Also, every plane is slightly different. My plane doesn't have an avionics master. I also find that my store bought one didn't have checking the door lock (upper one on Piper) and I need that (ask me how I know). Rolling your own is the best way to go, otherwise you are going to be doing the magic marker thing.

I like doing mine in MS Word but I don't laminate it. I merely print out a new one when needed or when I want to make changes.

I can add items and emphasis others with the font or color.

I use SureCheck and like them

I use them as well. $4.99 from pilot mall and maybe another few dollars to mail them.

If I were flying in a flight school I think I would get one for each of the air craft models I fly and keep them in my flight bag.

Great way to be organized.

Roll your own.

I've found in that process that in general, there's too much extraneous crap on POH normal procedures checklists, but not enough on POH emergency checklists.

If you want a checklist app, ForeFlight made one (called ForeFlight Checklist) but I don't think they're actively developing it any more.

--Roll your own.

I farted around a few months turn years and finally I just ordered one and it was here before next flight.

So yes, any nitwit can make his own but then again, its $5

I wrote mine up in Word and then use a knee board to keep them handy.

a6e6ubuj.jpg

I'm sure like the rest of you, the checklist is used after I do the flow. Or are people using it as a task list?

Last edited:
Only thing about the sure check I don't like is they don't have a separate start procedure for a hot-start. I had to blaze my own trail when it came to that, but I've found a procedure that works for me.

I started with the one in the POH then migrated to creating one in Word, based on the POH. But every time something was added to the cherokee (avionics, engine monitor, changing flow of the checklist, working with Young Eagles, etc) I added/changed it, reprinted it. Big advantage is that I printed in large font but small paper size (fold a letter page) that fits perfectly on the yoke of the cherokee, so it's always convenient. Other changes to procedures due to starting at 5500 MSL - don't set the mixture full rich then start leaning during runup, start it about halfway down.

Of course emergency procedures don't change.

Here's one I made for the Piper Arrow sans roman numeral which I did my commercial in. The flight school supplied it with a "Checkmate" checklist, which I hated, and the POH checklist was mostly in paragraph form. I haven't tried SureCheck.

Attachments

• pa28r-180checklist.pdf
    66 KB · Views: 10
I wrote mine up in Word and then use a knee board to keep them handy.

I like how my uncle did his Mooney checklists - He printed them in landscape orientation with about 5 columns, cut them up, laminated them with an extra-wide left border on the plastic, hole-punched that border, and put a few tiny zip-ties through the holes and his kneeboard. So, the checklists sit on the left side of the kneeboard and don't block the paper pad, and you can easily flip through them.

I don't have a pic, or I'd post it.

I built my own based on a concept that was used at one of the flight schools during my primary training. It's basically printed on two sides of an 8.5x11 sheet then folded in half. After folding, the back page is the preflight, the front page is in-flight checks, the inside front is the start/runup checks and the inside back is the emergency checks.

After doing the preflight, the back page gets clipped to the clipboard with the preflight down since it's not needed anymore. With the sheet unfolded, the inside front is visible for the start/runup, then close it for the in-flight checks. Since there aren't a lot of in-flight checks, you have about 1/2 the sheet for writing notes when getting the ATIS, etc. For VFR flights, this it all the paper I usually need - especially for local flights and it would probably last a lot longer if I didn't fly out of a class D airport.

It's easy to reprint so I typically use one copy for 3-5 local flights (depends on how many notes I take) then toss it and print another. I also keep a spare around just in case. I could laminate one but (a) then I'd have to make sure I had the right kind of pen with me and (b) laminated sheets are hard to fold.

I've attached two spreadsheets in the zip file. The first one is the one I print. (Just be sure to print page 2 on the back of page 1. Don't print them on separate pieces of paper.) The other spreadsheet (with "2" in the name) is one I created with larger font/cell sizes and different pages so it would fit my IPad immediately upon opening. I used DropBox for the IPad version and sized it so it would appear full screen upon opening. I don't have much experience using the one in the IPad yet so I'm not sure how well it will work. The one thing I do know is that I will continue to use the printed sheet -- for the preflight (the idea of dropping or stepping on the IPad while doing a preflight isn't very appealing) and just in case I forget to recharge the IPad.

Attachments

• checklist_screenshot.png
    checklist_screenshot.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 12
  • archerII_checklist.zip
    30.9 KB · Views: 2
  • checklist_screenshot2.png
    checklist_screenshot2.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 12

Word works well.

Two column output, landscape mode, makes something that fits very nicely on a kneeboard.

I use this exercise whenever checking out on a new aircraft type. I find it helps me learn the systems, prior to setting foot in the aircraft. Generally, there is a revision or two after the first flight.

Back