Checking Out the Old Home Town

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
(Not the first time, for sure)

Cushing, Maine; south of Thomaston; about 10 minutes west of KRKD.

HR

Attachments

• _DSC8402 (3).JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 74
Wow, I recognize the houses and the turn. We've driven past many times from Thomaston. Wife's family used to have a place at Pleasant Point. Not anymore. Now it's disneyland with million-dollar mansions.
But that picture jogged a memory, an old memory.
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Lou: are you at liberty to divulge the family name? I lived there from 1947(from 3 years old) through high school and college; used to know every house and resident. However, after decades away(from residency), these days I don't recognize names on the mailboxes of those same houses, and there are roads and avenues showing up in real estate ads that never existed in the '50s and '60s. I have some dynamite aerials of Pleasant Point from Sept. 27; can't post them here(yet) because they're 25-35 MB each.

On your way BACK from Pleasant Point, this house(red farm house) stood since 1862(still standing), and is where I grew up. Several houses before passing the church. (April 2001 photos)
My cousin owns/operates Broad Cove Market(formerly A. S. Fales & Sons for 182 years).

Attachments

• Crute Farm(#8)Apr29-01.jpg
    Crute Farm(#8)Apr29-01.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Crute Farm(#9)Apr29-01.jpg
    Crute Farm(#9)Apr29-01.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 26
Lou: Thought I had posted this but was knee deep in post processing my latest aerial shoot and probably forgot to push the "Submit" button.
Gay Island at the bottom; can't remember name of the small island; and Pleasant Point harbor. My cousin(father of the Broad Cove Market owner) is the lobster buyer/dealership owner of the dock with the largest building on it and refueling float in front of it.

HR

Attachments

• _DSC8359 (Pan L) (1).JPG
    _DSC8359 (Pan L) (1).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
Threads like this are a good way to start a morning.

:eek:) Snooping(Scooping?) Cushing, Again.

It's known that, "Things take on a whole new perspective when viewed from the air." For those who travel north and south on Pleasant Point Road it should be easy to pinpoint, from the Wales/Chapman Farm(lower left corner), Crute Lane, Woody Lane, Kinne Lane, Broad Cove, River Road, and Killeran Lane. Bradford Point is barely out of the image, at the lower right. For the non-natives, the top edge, where civilization peeks out from the trees, is Thomaston, where the St. George River flows from the left, over to the right corner where it turns south, flowing to Cushing's Pleasant Point and emptying into the ocean. From the bottom of the image to the Thomaston edge is approximately seven statute miles. The river doesn't always look like this. In the early 1900s winters my grandfather used to take his team of oxen(with Lead horse) and sleigh from the shore of what is now Crute Lane(first horizontal road at right) to Thomaston to acquire feed, grain, and shells for the farm, traveling on the icy river. It was a shorter route than traveling the road.

HR

Attachments

• _DSC8438 (1 L) (1).JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 10
Harley, I was off only by a mile or so. The family name should be Dow and it is no secret. They had two places on the Sheep Point which is just north of Pleasant Point, in the Maple Juice Cove.
It's been a while so my apologies for the mix-up.

The only image I found in my files re your referenced area is this one from May 30, 2010. It's from Hathorne Point and looks across Maple Juice Cove to Pleasant Point Road and the houses on the west side of the road.This field is at The Olson House where Andy Wyeth painted the famous "Christina's World" in 1949. There aren't many houses along that section. In your referenced era: the old Leon Ames property; Dr. Louis Benson; the O'Connor property(now home of famed yacht builder Cabot Lyman); Arthur Woodbury home; then you're at the T-intersection of East Friendship Road. I don't have any aerials of Maple Juice.

HR

Attachments

• DSC06388 (1 WORK PIECE) (1 Pan) (1).JPG
    DSC06388 (1 WORK PIECE) (1 Pan) (1).JPG
    2 MB · Views: 13
Lou: With Maple Juice Cove to my back, this is the 180° scene change. One of the most famous houses in all of the Art World; about a couple miles from where I grew up.

HR

Attachments

• DSC06390 (1 Pan) (L)-001.JPG
    DSC06390 (1 Pan) (L)-001.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back