Checking high voltage lines by helicopter

This is a segment from a movie about helicopters called "Straight Up" (a common staple of Air museum IMAX theaters).

It is the source of my favorite line at the end where the guy says:

“There’s only three things I’ve ever been afraid of: electricity, heights, and women. And I’m married, too.”

A crew working on lines based out of our airport last summer. The helo repair man and I talk alot, very interesting Vietnam vet. The pilot was from England. I watched them in person do this work. To them it is just another day at the office. :eek:

Last edited:
There was an episode of "World's Toughest Fixes" on NatGeo that was all about this work. Not an easy job, to say the least.

Jeff

25 yrs ago a guy was contracted to thread this pole through insulators on ~200' towers where I was at the time. They attach a rope to the bayonet and use the rope to pull cable.
First time I met him was right off a shift, he'd come to the bar to wind down...and was he ever jumpy! I mean! Hopping, twitching, zippy with the tongue. I don't think it was drugs, I think he was just wired (oops, pun) from the tension the work provided.

Back