Checked off

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Computer non-sequitur:

If somebody tells you to make sure a checkbox is "checked off", do they want it checked, or not?

i.e.,

"Ok, make sure that 'Export media after backup completes' is checked off."

:sosp:

No one should ever use ambiguous terms, especialy not someone with a saavy computer background.

Instead: "Ok, make sure that 'Export media after backup completes' is checked" or "is not checked."

No one should ever use ambiguous terms, especialy not someone with a saavy computer background.

Instead: "Ok, make sure that 'Export media after backup completes' is checked" or "is not checked."

I agree, Nick! I just heard that phrase used "yet again" in a call this morning and had to vent here. Was wondering how people in general interpret the instruction... do they check, or not check?

I ask, to clarify. "Do you want it to be checked, or NOT checked?"

Even better, since somebody might interpret "is checked" to mean "I looked at it" ("I checked it"), we should say "has a check mark next to it" or "does not have a check mark next to it".

I agree, Nick! I just heard that phrase used "yet again" in a call this morning and had to vent here. Was wondering how people in general interpret the instruction... do they check, or not check?

I ask, to clarify. "Do you want it to be checked, or NOT checked?"

I assume it means the same as "ticking off" a checkbox. That is to say: ensure it is checked.

But that's an assumption. Blegh.

Similar to "turn the a/c up (or down)" ... which way is that, really? Turn up implies both "increase the a/c effectiveness/airflow/chilling (decreasing the temp)" or does it mean "increase the temp"? which would then be "turn down the a/c"?

:)

Back