"check your density altitude" ?

NJP_MAN

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
As says on the sign at the hold short line at the Grand Canyon. Does everybody have a different density altitude ?

check your Density Altitude means to check the takeoff and overall performance of your aircraft for that day. Likely that the Grand Canyon has high density altitudes.

check your Density Altitude means to check the takeoff and overall performance of your aircraft for that day. Likely that the Grand Canyon has high density altitudes.

The contrast is APA where they display the density altitude at the runway entrance.

My DA is the same as your DA. It says nothing about "check the effects of the current DA against the performance charts in your aircraft"

My DA is the same as your DA. It says nothing about "check the effects of the current DA against the performance charts in your aircraft"

The DA is the same for everyone. They are just saying "Check Density Altitude" usually if the airports' OAT reaches a certain level, they want to make sure the pilot knows the DA could effect aircraft performance.

The DA is the same for everyone. They are just saying "Check Density Altitude" usually if the airports' OAT reaches a certain level, they want to make sure the pilot knows the DA could effect aircraft performance.

They should omit the word "your". It's silly like a solo pilot saying "WE are 10 out landing with foxtrot" . It is just not correct or necessary.

They should omit the word "your". It's silly like a solo pilot saying "WE are 10 out landing with foxtrot" . It is just not correct or necessary.

You don't think I have company when I'm solo? :D:rofl:

True but when you are lined up on the runway ready to roll for takeoff it's your density altitude.

Am I on the "active" "with you" checking "my density altitude", "ATITAPA" ?

Jesus is my Co-Pilot.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see what your questioning now, my misunderstanding. I thought you were asking why that sign was posted there. I agree with you, it shouldnt make it seem like "your very own DA" :rofl:

I see what your questioning now, my misunderstanding. I thought you were asking why that sign was posted there. I agree with you, it shouldnt make it seem like "your very own DA" :rofl:

Exactly ! I like the digital signs that show "our" DA.

Am I on the "active" "with you" checking "my density altitude", "ATITAPA" ?

I think you're letting it bother you too much, like way too much. Because come on, you know exactly what it means whether you like the grammar or not. There is no possibility that I can see of a person misinterpreting that sign and crashing because of it.

As says on the sign at the hold short line at the Grand Canyon. Does everybody have a different density altitude ?

Does it make you think? Does it remind you of a safety issue?

All the signs I've ever seen just say "Check Density Altitude"
Nothing about ownership.

Does it make you think? Does it remind you of a safety issue?

Yea it makes me think alright. I think, who in the world spent extra money writing the word "your" on that sign when there is one density altitude for everybody!

Density altitude is pressure altitude corrected for temperature. Here at my home airport I have seen density altitude in the winter as low as 1500 feet and in summer as high as 11000 feet. The airport altitude is 6500 feet. In Alaska I have seen density altitude as low as -6000 feet.

I have seen the sign at different airports, but by the time I am at the end of the runway I already know what my planes takeoff performance will be.

Density altitude is pressure altitude corrected for temperature. Here at my home airport I have seen density altitude in the winter as low as 1500 feet and in summer as high as 11000 feet. The airport altitude is 6500 feet. In Alaska I have seen density altitude as low as -6000 feet.

I have seen the sign at different airports, but by the time I am at the end of the runway I already know what my planes takeoff performance will be.

here is a guy who hasn't read the thread entirely and thinks I am asking what DA is.

here is a guy who hasn't read the thread entirely and thinks I am asking what DA is.

Probably because he expected an aviation question and not a boring grammar lesson. Seems like a reasonable mistake to make here.

Count how many people say "we" when taking to ATC. As in "we're level one-zero thousand", or "we're on an assigned heading of 220".

It's impressive how many pilots have imaginary friends in the cockpit. Plus no one cares how many of you there are on the other end of the radio. ;)

Way more common than the DA thing. ;)

Ahhhh.... here is a self imagined comedian on an aviation forum. Its people like this that makes me not want to help and stay off this forum more and more.

I think you're letting it bother you too much, like way too much. Because come on, you know exactly what it means whether you like the grammar or not. There is no possibility that I can see of a person misinterpreting that sign and crashing because of it.
Best, non-humorous comment in the thread.
I get way more irritated when the taxi sign points the wrong direction, or ground says "left on Charlie" and there is no sign for Charlie.

Yea it makes me think alright. I think, who in the world spent extra money writing the word "your" on that sign when there is one density altitude for everybody!

don't ya feel better when it is "your" DA? If there is only one DA how do we know there is enough to go around? I mean that sharing is good and everything but it's also nice when it is all yours.

Probably because he expected an aviation question and not a boring grammar lesson. Seems like a reasonable mistake to make here.
I read a post a while ago an I will paraphrase it the best I remember.

"There are no aviation related questions that haven't been asked and there is a search function to find the answers you need. Everything else on this forum is just people wasting time and acting like fools. "

So I was asking a question that I am sure has never been asked here. You can't fault me for that, even if I was being facetious.

19936l4pb5e2ppng.png

Silvaire said:

Best, non-humorous comment in the thread.

That's kind of like, um, no , exactly like saying "the best non humorous comment on a joke is..."

There is no such thing as a "best non-humorous comment" on something intended to be funny except perhaps, "You know, that really isn't that funny. Don't give up your day job to do stand-up."

Au contrere mon frere. The DA displayed on the sign is local for the sign, or wherever the recording instrumentation is placed. At other locations around the airport, including your position at any given time, it may be different. Not very different, but different enough to justify the semantics.

And here is a guy who is wondering why you posted this topic in the first place and, beyond that, why you seem so upset by it. :rolleyes:

Au contrere mon frere. The DA displayed on the sign is local for the sign, or wherever the recording instrumentation is placed. At other locations around the airport, including your position at any given time, it may be different. Not very different, but different enough to justify the semantics.

Very good point. I think there need to be digital DA signs next to the RDR signs, this way you know "your" current DA at all times during the take off and landing roll phases of flight .

Would it make you feel better if they completed the sentence?

"Check your density altitude calculations"

Would it make you feel better if they completed the sentence?

"Check your density altitude calculations"

No, because it still contains the word "your" and there is no punctuation.

Back