Check ride today...

GauzeGuy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GauzeGuy
Had my check ride today. I'm now 3/4th's of a pilot. ;)

Started out with the usual paperwork and money side of things. Fun, fun.

Got the oral portion going, he started with asking questions related to the PTS areas of special emphasis: runway incursion avoidance, mid-airs, etc, etc. All of that was pretty easy.

He addressed questions related to systems (fuel and electrical in particular), airspace issues, lost communications and lost procedures. Reviewed the flight plan (KAPA to KSAF) and had a few questions regarding that.

The main thing I was surprised about was how easy it really was. The time went by quickly, I wasn't perfect but I made a strong effort to answer all of the questions without going too far into depth. I had to keep myself in check to avoid saying too much as to get into trouble.

The 3 things that he reviewed with me were finding out about AD's, preflight information (got most of it, missed a couple things) and finally dealing with inop items on an aircraft (I incorrectly said that I would not need to placard nav lights as inop during the day). Other than that, he was pretty happy.

Then the flight portion started. Did the preflight, he pretty well left me alone for that part. We took off, started out on the route I planned, and once in the air he asked a couple of very basic questions (point to the sectional where you are right now, describe how to navigate towards a VOR). He then said the navigation part was complete and to find a place to do a steep turn. I got us over to the practice area, verbalized the altitude requirements for maneuvers, did a steep turn (not pretty, but passing). Was very careful to do clearing turns, which went over well. He had me do slow flight with a right turn (again, not pretty but passing), followed by a power off stall. Got altitude back, did hood work, a power on stall and then turns around a point. The power off stall was so-so (forgot to remove carb heat! Derp.) The turn around a point was... okay. I went around a few times, I feel I was pretty lucky that he didn't pink slip me right then and there. It was windy and turbulent, so I feel that the conditions bought me a bit more tolerance than I would have had otherwise. Nonetheless, it was passing so he had me head back for landings.

Once almost back in the pattern, I got a weird set of instructions that I read back incorrectly and almost followed (tower didn't correct me on the read back) and fortunately the DPE asked me if I was sure about what I was about to do. I requested clarification from the tower, which he gave in a rather perturbed manner, lol. While the ATIS indicated calm winds, the actual winds were anything but. There was a nice gusting crosswind, wind shear, etc, that caused me to go around the first time (which I had to do anyway, so no worries). Then when downwind the tower mentioned winds were calm midfield with a strong gusting crosswind in the 20's at the approach and departure end. I decided I had enough of trying to meet PTS standards in conditions I hardly ever fly in and decided to discontinue.

So, I just need reasonable weather to do 3 takeoffs and landings. Hopefully that will occur soon, but its nice to know that a few trips around the pattern should do it!

Anyway, I definitely found that getting set up with a DPE who was known to be laid back was quite helpful. Relaxing is a very good idea during both the oral and flight portions. Furthermore, I'd definitely emphasize that staying in the fight even when things aren't going well is a plus. He was more than willing to accept borderline performance as long as corrections were occurring. Additionally, he mentioned that he was very happy that I was verbalizing everything during the flying portion, I also made a point to use checklists extensively when possible. As mentioned before, the clearing turns were helpful to my cause as well.

I didn't believe it at first, but what they said about being over prepared is true. I felt that my instructor and the CFI who did my stage check were a lot more difficult than the DPE was. If you CFI feels you are ready to go, then relax and walk into the ride with confidence that you will do well!

Was it your idea to stop the ride or his?
If you suggested it, that also shows judgement. Hopefully you did the full stop landing.
I'm sure the day for pattern work will come soon.

I remember my check ride, the DPE had me plan a cross country to another airport. Before we entered the pattern he called in his lunch order to the resturant. Entering the pattern I found 20knts direct cross, I chided him about if he had not already orderd, I'd find a runway better to the wind. Then I screwed up the base to final turn, got pushed wide, resisted the urge to tighten it up, and rather than trying to salvage final, I went around.

Next pattern I flew wider and fixed the base turn to final, lined up for the crosswind and started getting kicked by turbulence off the upwind hill. I was ready to go around again when he worked me through the landing. I figured I was toast at that point, but we taxied in, had lunch talked airplanes and weather.

Took off for the rest of the check ride, air work and back to his airport for into the wind landings. Paperwork complete, he told me I passed the check ride when I said I would go elsewhere, and then fixed my screwed up pattern and did not try to salvage it.

I'm sure you'll do well too.

Was it your idea to stop the ride or his?
If you suggested it, that also shows judgement. Hopefully you did the full stop landing.
I'm sure the day for pattern work will come soon.

I made the call to discontinue after hearing the significance of the gust component. I was already having issues with keeping a stable approach and had gone around once already.

I did do the full stop landing, I caught enough of a lull where it was definitely more than I was used to but nothing I couldn't manage. I asked him if it would have met PTS had I not discontinued and he said he really wasn't paying attention at that point, but since he wasn't grabbing for full control, I figure that's a good sign. :D

Fortunately, I decided to do some additional time on the crosswind sim the other day and that really helped out.

Congratulat (just over 3/4 of a "congratulations!") - It sounds like you were more than prepared and that you'll nail the rest soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

No harm in discontinuing. I discontinued mine because of wind as well. It shows good judgment.

You'll nail the rest no doubt!

Excellent judgement. You'll have it in the bag when the winds cooperate.

KAPA 152340Z 1600/1624 VRB05KT P6SM FEW080 SCT120 BKN200
FM160200 13007KT P6SM SCT130 BKN200
FM160600 16008KT P6SM FEW070 SCT110 BKN200
FM161400 23008KT P6SM SCT110 BKN200
FM161900 30012G22KT P6SM SCT110 BKN200

Supposed to finish off the check ride tomorrow. 2000z, 1300 local. I don't think so at this rate, based on the above TAF. Am I being too conservative with not wanting to land full flaps and minimal speeds with a gusting crosswind? I don't think so, but thought I'd see what the peanut gallery has to say. :D

Back