Check ride question

Rneuwirth

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rneuwirth
I've got my check ride for PPL scheduled for Sept.30th. Trying to make sure that I've got all i's dotted and t's crossed.
My Medical/student pilot certificate uses my homes physical address, but my driver's license has my P.O. Box, which is where I actually receive my mail. Will this be a problem? I probably have enough time to have the license changed, but would some alternative form of proof of address work?
I'd hate to get to the check ride and fail for such a dumb reason.
Thanks all.

You won't fail for that.

I'm military, so I've had documents with multiple addresses on every checkride I've taken. I've even used a different address on the 8710 than what was on my medical or previous pilot cert.

As long as the address you use is legit and the FAA can reach you through that address, you should be good to go. Most important thing is to make sure that the address you put on the 8710 is where you want your certificate mailed to.

Last edited:
Not a problem. I use my PO box for most stuff, and that's what's on my medical. But when I went to fill out the 8710 on IACRA prior to my checkride, it wouldn't accept the PO box address. So I just used my street address, and there were no issues, even though I guess now I'm on file with the FAA under two different addresses.

even though I guess now I'm on file with the FAA under two different addresses.
Whatever you put in the most recent FAA application is what they will have on file for you. Your medical may have one address, but if you put a different one on the 8710/IACRA, then that will overwrite the address in the FAA system.

The Examiner's Handbook says:
(1) All applicants for airman certificates must apply in person and present positive identification at the time of application. Such identification must include an official photograph of the applicant, the applicant’s signature, and the applicant’s residential address, if different from the mailing address. This information may be presented in more than one form of identification.
So, by the book, if your mailing address is not your residential address, your identification document must have your residential address. Thus, a DL with only a PO box would not do by itself unless you live in that box. However, note the last sentence -- if you have something else which has your residential address in it, you can combine that with your DL to fill the square. However, I'd call the examiner ahead of time to square this so there are no surprises on test day.

BTW, it's the DEA, not the FAA, which is making this a big issue, and one of the DEA's concerns is...
a. Deficiencies. The Drug Enforcement Assistance Act of 1988 identified the following deficiencies with regards to the issuance of airman certificates:
(3) The use of a post office box or mail drop as a return address for the purpose of
evading identification of the applicant’s address.

In any event, you can't "fail" (i.e., receive a Notice of Disapproval) for not having the right ID paperwork. The worst the examiner can do is not start the ride (and theoretically keep your money for having wasted his/her time). From an FAA perspective, it would be as though the ride had never happened.

Last edited:
Back