Check List

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All:

I have my PPL, High performance, and am working on my IFR.

The plane I fly is a C172SP/G. Every plane I have flown had a definite check list. This one does not.

I miss this check list and find myself "double checking", saying every "acronym" I can think of. I would like a printed check list.

Is there one on the internet I can get. What about the ones in the Sporty's catalog?

I have a POH for a 172 but this one is fuel injected and is similar but not "the checklist" for this plane.

Do I buy a POH and make my own?

Thanks;

Terry :)

You can buy a commercial checklist from someone like SureCheck, or, as I did for my Tiger, you can make your own that fits they way you fly. I started with the POH checklist, ordered it to fit my cockpit flows, and added items I like to check or that are specific to additional systems in my airplane (e.g., autopilot checks which aren't in the "regular" checklist). I typed it up on the computer, tinkered with the fonts and played with layout to make it the most readable for my eyes, printed it, and tried it in flight. After an iteration or two of fine-tuning, I took it to Kinko's to laminate, and it's in my plane now.

Ron's method is the best, Terry, because you know everything is covered and everything is tested.

spiderweb said:
Ron's method is the best, Terry, because you know everything is covered and everything is tested.
I wouldn't say my method is the best, period, but it works best for me. What works best for others may vary. The point here is that the checklist is a tool, and the best tool for the job may vary between workmen. Consider, evaluate, develop, test, and then reconsider, etc, until you have what works for you.

Definitely make your own. I do this for the planes I fly even though they have "book" checklists, for a few reasons:

1) Like Ron says, you can fit it to the way you fly and also to any special equipment in the bird. My checklists have things like VOR checks and such that are required for IFR flights but aren't in any POH.
2) The "normal" checklists are too full of crap. For instance: "Master...ON; Fuel gauges...CHECK; Master...OFF." Well duh. You can eliminate two of those three lines if you just have some common sense. Unfortunately, with all of this frivolous stuff the checklists have to be printed with some pretty small type and that makes it more likely that you'll miss something important. So, my checklists work great, FOR ME. My CFI gave me some input on them as well. There's quite a few things that aren't in the POH's, like checking the breather tube during preflight, giving the prop a good flick to check for cracks, etc.
3) Emergency checklists, on the other hand, don't have enough stuff. They tell you what to do to the airplane itself, but they don't remind you to do such unimportant things as picking a place to land, squawking and talking, reminding pax to open the door just prior to touchdown, etc. In an emergency situation, the stress makes it much less likely that you'll actually catch everything you want to do.

So, go forth and make your own!

I thought all AC POH's had a checklist in it. Guess not?

I did exactly what Ron did for both the planes I've owned. I had to tweak mine a few times before I was done. A year and a half after I bought my Mooney I added a new AP and another change to my check list. I carry two of them in the plane just in case one slips to where I can't reach it.

I don't know about everyone here. But in many emergenices I'm not going to have the time to be looking at a checklist. I'm probably around 1,500 AGL and don't have all kinds of time to be trying to read something.

I'm going to fly the airplane, find a field, communicate my situation and that's it. The last thing I want is the distraction of finding something and sticking my eyes in the cockpit as I try to read it.

Maybe the situation would be different in more MUCH more complex airplanes as I would have altitude and time and way more things to go over. Most of the single engine airplanes that I fly..if it takes a crap on you there isn't really much to be messing with.

Darrell111 said:
Some really old ones do not. The "standardized" POH was not developed until the 1970's, and before that, manufacturers were on their own for what to put in and how to organize it.

jangell said:
I don't know about everyone here. But in many emergenices I'm not going to have the time to be looking at a checklist. I'm probably around 1,500 AGL and don't have all kinds of time to be trying to read something.
The military does a much better job of handling this in their flight manuals than the civilian world does in their POH's. The military divides the emergency procedures into immediate action items (printed in boldface type, and thus often referred to as the "boldface procedures") which the crewmember must have memorized cold, and the follow-up items which the crewmember reads from the book once the situation is under control.

For example, the F-111 boldface for engine fire in flight is:

Throttle - OFF
Fire pushbutton - DEPRESS
Agent discharge switch - UP

(Yes, over 18 years after my last 'Vark flight, I still know my boldface.)

If an engine fire light comes on, you do that right away, without reference to the printed checklist. Then, there are another dozen or so steps to be accomplished once the immediate actions are completed and the crew pulls out the checklist to read them.

Civilian pilots can do the same. For example, the engine failure checklist for a single should probably include a memorized section (the famous "glide, grass, and gas" items), followed by a more comprehensive list of things in the printed checklist to be accomplished once the immediate actions are completed, assuming you're high enough to do that without compromising the emergency landing. On the other hand, the emergency procedures for troubleshooting a single alternator failure in a twin need not be memorized -- you have alll the time in the world to pull out the checklist and do the items from it rather than potentially flawed memory.

The key, then, is for you to go through the EP's in your POH, and identify those which require immediate action (for which you should memorize the steps which must be accomplished immediately), and those which do not, with which you should merely be familiar and plan to pull out the book if they happen.

BTW, as a side note, in the fire boldface above, the last step was changed from "actuate" to "up" in the 1970's due to some confusion. The Agent Discharge Switch has two positions -- up, which discharges the fire extinguisher, and down, which tests the fire lights. Needless to say, crews move the switch to the "down" position at least once every flight to test the lights before engine start, and in some cases, periodically in flight to be sure they still work. Well, a crew had an engine fire in flight, cut the throttle, pushed the fire pushbutton (which closes the firewall valves and positions the extinguishing agent valve to the correct engine), and "actuated" the switch -- down, to the test position they always used. Needless to say, that did not put out the fire, and the boldface was thereafter changed to remind the crews to push it up, not the usual down, if a fire occurs.

Ron Levy said:
The military does a much better job of handling this in their flight manuals than the civilian world does in their POH's. The military divides the emergency procedures into immediate action items (printed in boldface type, and thus often referred to as the "boldface procedures") which the crewmember must have memorized cold, and the follow-up items which the crewmember reads from the book once the situation is under control.
I can't speak to all recent POH's, obviously, but I know that the POH for both the 1999 C-182 and the C-172SP's that I fly uses the same boldface = memorize convention. I'll have to check the other POH's I have when I get home.
I have a C172SP checklist I customized from when I was a primary student. I could update it for IFR flight (which I should do anyway; shame on me) and make it available. But, as has already been stated, it's best to customize one yourself. In any case, if you're regularly flying the 172SP, you should probably have the POH for it anyway. If for no other reason than for the supplements for the autopilot, GPS, etc. I think my FBO wanted less than $25 for it. Also, go download the Pilot Guides from Honeywell for the GPS and MFD (if applicable).

And on top of that, I'm not sure I want the liability that may attach if I left out an item because it's not needed in the planes I fly and you damage yours because you needed to do it! Ugh, this darned litiginous society! (Note that I did not blame the lawyers! :goofy:)

Last edited:
Ron Levy said:
Some really old ones do not. The "standardized" POH was not developed until the 1970's, and before that, manufacturers were on their own for what to put in and how to organize it.

Right which surprised me when we are talking about a new Sp

I'm a big fan of Surecheck - I would rather have too much info incase my mind is elsewhere like it can be from time to time.

As Ron said, you can make your own. Attached is my home brew checklist for our club's C-172N. It is based on one from an FBO at BFI, but re-worked for format and specifics of that plane. I have versions for the club's C-172H (different flow in the pre-flight), C-182P and PA-28R-200. The advantage for me is that while the planes differ, my checklists have much the same flow with the only differences being airframe related. Feel free to modify this one to suit your needs.

Attachments

• Cessna 172 75898 Checklist - New Format.doc
    37 KB · Views: 19
Terry said:
Do I buy a POH and make my own?

Thanks;

Terry :)

Yes.

I don't use commercial checklists since they are not very complete especially for emergency options and system work-arounds, and the flows aren't usually very good either. Another benefit to making your own is you do a more thorough review of the POH and aircraft systems. You review it all and take notes then develope the flows for the proceedure, then you type it in and review it, then you print it out and review it, then you correct a couple mistakes that you never find till you have a hard copy, then you take it to the plane and neaten up the flow or add in a detail or two you missed, you take it home, correct, review, print, review. Now you can throw it away because barring a brain injury you'll never forget it after all that.:D

Darrell111 said:

Take a look at one for a 1958 Travel Air....First thing I had to do when I bought my plane was make the checklists.

gprellwitz said:
I can't speak to all recent POH's, obviously, but I know that the POH for both the 1999 C-182 and the C-172SP's that I fly uses the same boldface = memorize convention. I'll have to check the other POH's I have when I get home.
The 172R, 172S, and 182S POH's I have all include this convention. The 1977 C312R and the Beechcraft Sundowner 180 C23 manuals do not.

gprellwitz said:
The 172R, 172S, and 182S POH's I have all include this convention. The 1977 C312R and the Beechcraft Sundowner 180 C23 manuals do not.
I'm not completely sure, but I think Cessna began to use the convention with the last year or two of the P model. I'm pretty sure it wasn't earlier than that.

Henning said:
Take a look at one for a 1958 Travel Air....First thing I had to do when I bought my plane was make the checklists.

No i knew older ones didnt , just the 172 "sp" part threw me off

Back