Cheapest way to replace a radio

TexasAviation

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TexasAviation
So I just bought my first plane (YAY!!!!!!) and already want to upgrade it.

My secondary nav/com radio is an ancient King box that apparently uses 50 khz spacing (e.g it can tune to 133.40 or 133.45, but not my home field's AWOS frequency of 133.425. I can't hear AWOS when turned to those other nearby frequencies.)

I really like using COM2 in the air to monitor a nearby CTAF or get the automated weather reports while I'm using COM1 on my Garmin 530 for flight following. But this old secondary radio is pretty useless.

Any idea what it costs to put in an old but more useful radio with 25 khz spacing? If it's crazy pricey, I'll probably just stick with a handheld to get ATIS/AWOS, or else "request frequency change" a bunch.

Kinda depends on your definition of "crazy pricey". Older used radios can be had for around 1 AMU and less than a half AMU to install. A bit more if you're looking at a NAV/COMM. A bit more if the antenna is not serviceable. Digital radios with flip-flop start closer to 2 AMU.

I vote for an 'n' day ban from PoA for @TexasAviation where n = the # of days until he posts pics of his new-to-him plane.

This is a digital flip-flop radio. And after looking up images of it (King KX-155) I can read what's very faded on my box: "Pull 25K"

Boy, I feel stupid! Operator error :) I'll try pulling the knob tomorrow morning.

You're not far from me, correct? Need a safety pilot who has a bunch of time in PA28's?

This is a digital flip-flop radio. And after looking up images of it (King KX-155) I can read what's very faded on my box: "Pull 25K"

Boy, I feel stupid! Operator error :) I'll try pulling the knob tomorrow morning.

Hah! Isn't that a strange King weirdness? I started on King, but I had to have an instructor point out that that's how you get to 25kHz spacing on a King. For future reference, nearly all King radios work like that, including the modern ones.

On the other hand, you just saved $2000 in exchange for some embarrassment. Not a bad tradeoff!

In answer to
cheapest way to replace a radio
You have to shop, and shop, and pay attention to what you want/need.
I managed to replace my MX12 with dual digital flip/flop navcom with glideslope, and indicators, audio panel, and intercom, for under $3k.
But it takes time to shop around.

Non TSO is ok for non IFR duty.
Unless you're flying part 135 or such, non-TSO is fine for IFR duty as well.

Back