Cheap Gas

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I have been annoyed for a while now that gas stations have changed their signage. They used to post prices for reg, mid grade and premium. Now most of them post prices for regular, diesel and cigarettes.

All the posted prices at stations near each other vary by a few pennies at most. But my two cars only like premium, and there is a wide variation.

Enter "Gas Buddy" app for smart phones. You can filter by grade and sort by price or distance.

The two stations I use the most (A Shell and Sunoco, across the street from each other) both display prices for Regular at $2.77

But with "Gas Buddy" I see that the offer Premium for:
Sunoco $3.07
Shell $3.63
I never really paid much attention to the prices because the post prices (for regular) are so similar to each other and surrounding station. But now that I see the difference I will pay more attention.

Until GasBuddy adds fields for cash vs credit, it's generally only good for the cash only / debit card price. They seem to have somehow painted themselves into a corner that shouldn't be all that hard to fix, with their internal database design, since it's been the most asked for change to the software for a couple of years or more, now.

Back